jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Swine Flu Mutated Strain?

1. Anna Erwin profile image60
    Anna Erwinposted 6 years ago

So, swine flu vaccine isn't working anymore huh?  Doesn't surprise me. 

It's been common knowledge that cold and flu mutate when vaccines are introduced and the virus mutates so that it can survive.

Inevitably, as the history of flu and viruses has already told us.  We create stronger viruses.  Most people have come to accept this and many optioned to not get the flu vaccine and especially not the swine flu vaccine.

Today, the headline reads, "Swine Flu mutation, more powerful than before'.

The government used fear to get people to take the vaccine.  They implored you that it is better than you get vaccinated especially older folks, young children and pregnant women.

What do you suspect they will do know?

2. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 6 years ago

I saw this news article too, but it wasn't saying that the vaccine wasn't working. The report I saw said that a variant that was resistant to tamiflu 9anit viral medication) had been discovered in a UK hospital. It is a worry, but if I hadn't had the swine flu already I'd be thinking more seriously about getting the vaccine!

I'm not sure about your assertion that viruses mutate when vaccines are introduced - the flu virus is definitely a slippery customer, but other viruses that cause small pox or measles for instance, don't seem to have mutated. Vaccination has enabled a great reduction in people catching these viruses.

1. Anna Erwin profile image60
      Anna Erwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think isolation was the ticket when it came to things like small pox and stuff.  As for the vaccine not working.  What I meant was, it wont work on the other stain.

If the other strain become dominate, what point is there in getting the h1n1? You can still get sick with swine flue.

Sorta like, chicken pox.  You can still get the chicken pox after you have been vaccinated and even if you have had it but it comes in the form of Shingles.

1. Susana S profile image91
        Susana Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I get what you mean. If the virus has mutated too much the existing vaccine won't work. Also, if it changes a lot I could get the flu again - oh no!

It does worry me though that this flu virus will become deadly like the spanish flu and if it does I think people will be queuing up for the vaccine, as long as it's still effective anyway.

1. 0
          sandra rinckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's me Anna.  I worry about that too.  I think it was the point about vaccines. 

You said

In the OP, hasn't history taught us anything. Eventually, with the same mentality, there really will be an unstoppable flu.

3. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 6 years ago

It may be here already - hadn't heard about this but just came across it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne … eople.html

I'm not big on vaccines, but I'm happy to have one for something life threatening.

Also, we already have had unstoppable diseases like the plague, polio, small pox and the spanish flu...they often run their course and burn out, but at a huge cost.

4. Blogging Erika profile image81
    Blogging Erikaposted 6 years ago

Just because the virus mutated into a new strain, that doesn't mean the vaccine won't still be effective against the old one.  That original strain is still chugging along, making people very sick, and the vaccine will keep you from getting it.

My friend's three year old son (who was healthy - i.e. not asthmatic or immunocompromised) had to be rushed to the ER on his 3rd day of swine flu.  They had to admit him, and he spent two days in the hospital.  He's lucky to still be alive.  Scary stuff!

5. kysnoopyq42 profile image60
    kysnoopyq42posted 6 years ago

There's probably several strains of it already floating around, that's probably why it makes some people sicker than others. (Just my take on it) and it's very rough on the little one's from what I've been hearing.

I got the vaccine, as did my daughter. I only pray that it doesn't mutate even more than what's it's been doing.

Last year when I was pregnant with my daughter I got the flu shot and still got the flu type A. My daughter and I both got it as a matter of fact when she was only 3 months old.

Who knows what's going to happen with this h1n1 virus. It is scary stuff, indeed.