jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Asperger's

1. profile image0
    Hikikomoriposted 7 years ago

Does anyone have Asperger's like me?

I was formally diagnosed early this year.

1. PrettyPanther profile image86
      PrettyPantherposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have a teenage son with Asperger's.  He is a delight.

2. nyliram profile image60
      nyliramposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There is a sitcom in New Zealand, where one of the Surgeons has aspengers.
      I thought that they were saying ASH Burgess, so I have finally got the real spelling for this disorder.
      Apparently the sufferers are very analytical and take things logically only.
      I think that most our judiciary must have the same condition.
      lol It apparently goes with the very intelligent.

3. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, they say people with Asperger have very high IQs
      How are you doing ? big_smile

1. profile image0
        Hikikomoriposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not all, but quite a few do.

I'm alright, yourself?

1. tantrum profile image59
          tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

fine !! big_smile
          I hope your IQ is high !
          Mine is   -102, I think ! lol

2. apricotmousse profile image56
    apricotmousseposted 7 years ago

I do not know anything about Asperger's Syndrome until I read a novel by Nicolas Sparks entitled Dear John. It is a form of autism that happens to a very few population. They are usually very talented.

1. profile image0

It's not that rare Apicotmousse.

Here's a quote from my favorite Asperger's fact-sheet:

"Although research on the prevalence rate for Asperger Syndrome is ongoing, it is thought that as many as 60 individuals per 10,000 have some form of an Autism Spectrum Disorder."

As you can see, the (suspected) prevalence isn't very low. I wouldn't doubt if the number was higher than what the fact-sheet says.

3. sunforged profile image64
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

i have a friend who is a successful lawyer and also has aspergers, he can be a bit socially awkward sometimes but has an amazing mind!

1. nyliram profile image60

Yeah the sitcom touches on that. It has been fairly well researched, and shows how the person with this condition react to situations, I can imagine some awkwardness, definitely as they speak their mind to a point where I wouldn't even go.  (Wo I haven't been diagnosed but maybe lol)

4. nochance profile image86
    nochanceposted 7 years ago

I had never heard of it until I went to college. Then I discovered that out of the group of people I made friends with 4 of them had it. 4, in one group. I think it is more common than people realize and they just figure it's awkwardness and not autism. One of my friends who has it says he got over it by just throwing himself into social situations, and it works for him.

1. nyliram profile image60

Thats what prob. happened to me I partied till I lost it. Roll out another Tequila lol smile
      Maybe best not on the Forums. I think u are rite way more common, but in varying degrees.

2. profile image0

Yeah, it's very common.

Wow, 4 people? It's surprising that you were able to meet that many at once.

I've yet to meet an aspie in person.

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 7 years ago

I have a very good friend who's teenage son has Aspergers, and another friend whos nephew does.
    I have only met the nephew once, but my friends son is a really great kid, and a computer/electronic gadgets genius. He is also amazingly good with animals.

6. cindyvine profile image86
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

I have a kid in my class with Aspergers.  Hey, did you ever read that book, the Curious incident of the dog in the night time?

7. NateSean profile image83
    NateSeanposted 7 years ago

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was 14, however I do not tell people that I "have" Asperger's because having something is equated with having an illness or a disease that can be caught, spread, or cured.

I consider Aspergers a word that describes a certain set of characteristics that are common to a large group of people.

8. goldenpath profile image82
    goldenpathposted 7 years ago

I was deeply affected by one of the youth in my congregation and decided to write a hub about it.  I learned much of this condition.  I only hope that people find something useful in what I wrote.

working