jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Are individuals affected by a negative environment?

1. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 6 years ago

Two persons share a common vocabulary word- tired.

Person A,a teen, was raped by a trusted friend. Sometimes her behaviour has been unacceptable because of fluctuating mood. She has received counseling; but when she is going into her 'bad,angry,negative' days,those who are keen listeners would hear her say repeatedly that she is 'tired'. Anyone who crosses her path on her 'tired' days have to ignore her behaviour or take the brunt of it.

Person B, an adult, was slandered. Many males are promiscuous and father children,often through fornication or adultery, to prove manhood,achieve a goal or whatever reason. However,Person B is quiet,a willing helper in the community to young and old etc.The fact that he has a friend of like interest to work with him and encourage him - like David and Jonathan  or Paul and Timothy -sparked vicious rumours which were reported to him.However, nobody in the community would admit to hearing any rumours.Person B gets 'tired,angry, obscene language' days because he cannot find answers he seek.

The question is: Are those people who are exposed to Person A and B impacted by the negative environment? Will they develop the  'tired' - depression and suicidal- tendency of the resulting  daily exposure to person A and B?

1. ambieca profile image80
      ambiecaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe that if they are young and vulnerable than they may develop this similar attitude.  When a child is still young and forming their tools to deal with stress and anger, saddness, if they have a bad example to follow, they may think that is the only way to go.  On the other hand some overcome this constant example because they are inately strong individuals.

2. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

they couldn't help but absorb some of it, especially if it is a daily thing they can't escape, which is unfortunate.

2. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

That sort of negativity certainly has the potential to rub off on a person spending time in proximity to it all the time.  Persons so exposed, particularly if they are aware enough of the exposure and possibility of mood-contagion to post questions about it, would do well to make sure they mix in an ample dose of "healthy" friendships and positive alone time to meditate and find their emotional center.

1. caravalhophoto profile image60
      caravalhophotoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Nicely put...smile

3. alexandriaruthk profile image54
    alexandriaruthkposted 6 years ago

social environment greatly affects behavior specially if they are always exposed to it

4. 0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

If you are prone to depression and negative thoughts you should stay away from people who are slack,"tired", negative or unemotional, it's very contageous.Worse than a flu.

5. donotfear profile image91
    donotfearposted 6 years ago

The mood affects everyone around. It bounces from one person to another. I've seen it many times & been a victim as well, without even realizing it. It's like a bad spirit tormenting individuals, negative energy feeding off more negative energy. I refuse to be taken in by it anymore. I've been reading "You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought". It's helping me a great deal.

6. A.Lawrence profile image82
    A.Lawrenceposted 6 years ago

The definitive answer is “perhaps” smile. It is not what happens to people that causes “emotional problems” but how the individual experiences the events. Two people can experience exactly the same physical event or conditions, but one person takes away something positive from it, yet the other may suffer something as severe as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as a result of the same event, there are many well documented examples to illustrate this fact.

How a person interprets an event or conditions is dependent their previous life experience as a result of nurture and nature to varying degrees. A child who has experienced an insecure home life and has been criticized is extremely unlikely to have the same view of life as one brought up in an encouraging and safe environment.

The good thing is that although past events obviously can't be changed peoples perception of them can be.

As part of my professional life I have worked with people exhibiting all kinds of behavior as a result of some horrific abuse, far too bad to ever be reported in the media, yet this has been some of my most rewarding work to help these people “get their life back on track”, their words.

Working with people exhibiting behavioral problems requires clear boundaries to be set and to have support, either formal and/or informal, we all need support at times and recognizing that fact and knowing where you can get it is very important for your own well-being.

As for the focus on the word “tired”, I would be trying to find out the significance of the word “tired” to the person asking the question, as it would perhaps appear to have more significance to them than the subjects or the question posed.

I hope this answer is of help smile.