jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)

Periods in pregnancy

1. 61
    Barressyposted 6 years ago

Pls why does a woman still menstusate after being confirmed pregnant by a doctor?

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

A woman should not be menstruating after being confirmed pregnant.  Bleeding while pregnant is often the sign of a serious problem or miscarriage (loss of pregnancy), and she should go back to the doctor immediately if she is bleeding.

1. Chloe Comfort profile image60
      Chloe Comfortposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. Even a little spotting should be cause for concern. As relache said, a doctor's visit would be the best suggestion.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've actually known several woman who had 'periods' at least until they were six months pregnant.
        Some women give birth without ever knowing they were pregnant due to continuing menstruation.
        Obviously it can't be normal menstruation as eggs do not continue to get released when a woman is pregnant.
        However, I have to say the same as the other posters here, normally it is not a good sign and you should get a doctor to check it out.

3. Sarah-Ann profile image60
    Sarah-Annposted 6 years ago

Im actually not sure, but usualy if its only light period or spotting its nothing serious though any blood you should still consult a doctor just to be on the safe side. A friend of mine had what were "normal" periods to her for the 1st 3months of her pregnancy, there wasn't anything wrong with the baby, it was just left over blood, and completely normal. its something you would have to ask you're doctor about, Cause what might be normal to someone, could also be something dangerous to someone else. Any blood, get it checked i say.

4. Inspiration101 profile image73
    Inspiration101posted 6 years ago

I don't know either. But please go and see your doctor as soon as you can. It does happen, but it's not normal.

1. sunforged profile image68
      sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

your post would have been more helpful 3 months ago.. i imagine

5. 60
    probafixposted 6 years ago

Proper diet.

6. Moon Daisy profile image83
    Moon Daisyposted 6 years ago

I wrote a hub recently on why some women don't realise that they're pregnant, and part of my research covered this interesting subject.  There are a couple of reasons I came across why a woman might continue to have regular, period-like bleeds even though she's pregnant.

The first is that some women have two wombs, and might not realise it.  If they're pregnant in one womb (also it is possible to be pregnant in both at the same time!), then they may continue to have periods from the other one.

The second reason is when some of the womb lining continues to shed each month, despite pregnancy having occured.  It's thought that some kind of hormone imbalance could be the cause of this.  The part of the lining that sheds is not yet involved with supporting the placenta and growing baby.  This kind of bleeding often stops after a few months, but it can unusually continue for longer.

Of course if a woman bleeds when she's pregnant she should visit her doctor straight away and be checked out to make sure that it isn't a sign of miscarriage.

7. dannywoodpx profile image60
    dannywoodpxposted 6 years ago

Many times that is not menstruation. Usually is bleeding from implantation of the fertilized egg in the uterus.

8. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

And here I thought Periods in the title was related to stages in pregnancy.  Wow, what a nightmare I just rolled into.

9. Greek One profile image81
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

I have known of some women menstrate throughout pregnancy... usual;ly it is less blood, but none the less it happens

Some women spot during the first trimester due to implantation bleeding

Sometimes, of course, heavy bleeding (especially when accompanied by back pain or severe cramps) is a very bad sign

To ease your mind, if you have heavy bleeding, you need to go to see a doctor

10. lorlie6 profile image84
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

Go to the doctor's office, or the ER, whichever.  That seems obvious.  On the other hand, I spotted quite a bit when I was pregnant 22 years ago and have a perfectly healthy son.
    All the best.

11. joaniemb profile image61
    joaniembposted 6 years ago

It is very common to spot in the first trimester. Spot not heavy bleeding. My daughter has two beautiful children and spotted with both early on.
    She was told exactly what dannywoodpx said prior the fertilized egg was implanting itself to the uteruian wall.
    My daughter did call the doctor each time just to be on the safe side.