If You Were told you had a week to live......

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

I am kinda curious if you were to go to the Doctor and he/she were to tell you that you only had a week to live (at the most) Then the Doctor said to go home and do whatever you wanted what it would you do.......

1. greeneyesH1982 profile image59
      greeneyesH1982posted 14 years agoin reply to this

travel and visit every possible nook and cranny this world has to offer and learn as much as I could every day in other parts of the world....leave everything I own to my one and only son with a letter of being able to remember me in the most happiest of times... and request that a comedian finishes my funeral (after a priest) because anyone who knows me would know that I always find some way to make people laugh regardless the circumstance.

2. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I had such a diagnosis. Lypo sarcoma in the back about the size of a large grapefruit. Very little chance of survival as the wound would wind up being the size of a dinner plate and 2" deep.
      I had a week at home trying to find a way around what looked like a quick death sentence. No plans, just a frantic search for a way out.

They had a new procedure that was invented just before I went in for the first of 5 ops. I died on the op table in the fifth hour of the fifth op, recovered and woke up screaming in pain because I could not take any more narcotics due to my low weight after having the cancer. So I had a death experience, then an out of body experience when I left my body due to too much pain when I came out of theatre.
      I fought like hell for my life. I found I did not want to leave my grandchildren at all!
      I survived obviously!

1. profile image0
        Diane Corrietteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow!

1. Sa Toya profile image82
          Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

intense...good on ya...you are VERY strong!

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Remarkable story and experience, Earnest. Thanks for sharing it. Truly.

I'd finish up whatever piece of music I'm composing, grab everyone I love and make a plan to go somewhere together. Place not important. Relationships are. Not a goodbye party, a celebration that I've had such a good life with such overwhelming difficulties and remarkably wonderful experiences. A real celebration.

3. h.a.borcich profile image61
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hats off to you Earnest. Beating cancer is not easy. Did you do any alternative treatments or nutritional therapy? Glad you made it through - and no - it is not up for argument! smile Holly

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

EarnestHub, I think that would be my reaction too.  A week is too short to do anything other than put your affairs in order and spend time with your loved ones - and scouring the internet for any last chance survival options. 

I once went to a management course where we were asked to do some goal setting.  Before we started, the lecturer asked us to write down what we would do if we were told we had only a year to live - we'd be in good health for all that time, but there was no hope of a cure. 

After we'd all written our plans, she told us to look at what we'd written and said, "for all you know, you could have that diagnosis tomorrow.  So if you're not doing what you've just written down, ask yourself, why not?"

5. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whao that's so tragic. Maybe that's why you have become such a nice person earnestshub.
        Maybe it's a little distasteful to ask the question:"What would you do if you only had a week to live?" When the situation is for real you don't do what you think you would do as a healthy person. For example:
        When my step dad was told he was dying, at first he bravely talked about euthenesia (this was in Holland) but as the disease progressed the literature about euthenesia ended up on the floor in the junk room.  The more sick he became the more desperately he clung onto life. He concentrated on small every-day details like which pillow to put under his aching limbs, or what he wanted to eat or drink. He suffered a slow painful death and never mentioned euthanesia again despite his suffering. What ever plans you may make as a healthy person, they go by the way side when it happens for real. A desperate yet futile instinct for survival seems to become priority in the real situation.

6. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
        LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ernesthub,

How blessed you are.....and even in this, you still choose not to  believe....(I am not trying to start a fight about God....)

Your resolve about Him even after this harrowing experience convinces me that you sincerely reject Him, and there is no natural hope that you would change your mind.....

I am happy for your recovery and pray all of the best for you....

Love you big_smile

3. profile image0
      Diane Corrietteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would spend the time with people close to me. Would pray alot and thank God for healing, knowing if it didn't come it was obviously my time to go and if a way was found to help me then I was being given a second chance.
      Mainly time with people I love the most.

4. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd tell him that people don't have expiration dates, diseases don't book vacations, and go get a second opinion.

I've seen that sort of crap from doctors become self-fulfilling prophecy, and I believe a doctor should NEVER give someone a time frame for their death. They can say "We don't know how to help you" or "The situation is dire, and all we can do is make you comfortable" or whatever...but to give someone a time to die is actually impossible and irresponsible.

In my humble opinion.

5. Alessia Amnesia profile image59
      Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would go to my family members and tell them I love them and thank them for everything they ever did for me. Then I would go to the town I grew up in and take one last walk from my house to the abandoned school building. I would lay on the steps of the building and look up at the sky like I used to do as a kid.

I would make a reservation at that restaurant I've been wanting to go to for three years and finally go eat there. I would give everything I own to the homeless man that stands outside of the dollar store. My last day would be spent writing a letter to everyone, telling them how much I really love them.

6. profile image0
      Suzy McBlogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm more-or-less in that situation, although I have about 5 more years. I have COPD plus a bunch of other stuff that tends to exaserbate it. At first of course I ranted and raved and was mad as hell. Then I made a bucket list. And then I realised nearly everything on my list just didn't seem that important any more. Actually that's one of the reasons I joined Hub Places. I have some things to say and teach. That's about all I really want to do, outside of spending every available moment with my husband and family.

7. Dixie W profile image60
      Dixie Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know this is a very good question. There is a country song by Tim Mcgraw that pretty well sums up what I would do. Live like you were dying. When time is short, hopefully we would try to correct any behavior that we were not proud of and spend as much time as possible with those who will miss us when we are gone. Try to make them understand that this would be my choice if I got one. A lingering death is not very attractive to me. I'd just as soon go quick without too much time to think about it. That would certainly be depressing.

8. pinkboxer profile image60
      pinkboxerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have learned to live as though today is my last day to live. That way you will always live in the now. Automatically, I do those things which are really the most important.

1. Mike Rogers profile image61
        Mike Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is an absolutely beautiful viewpoint. It reflects perfectly the notion that we never really know when it may be our last day on earth.

The reality is that life is precious. Appreciate every minute.

Mike

2. profile image58
        madsadsisterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes appreciate every minute because you never know when it is your turn. I know death from every age group and some were natural deaths but most were sudden deaths.  That is the sad fact of life you can never escape it.

9. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

First off, if a Dr. told me I only had a week to live I'd pick the week starting August 7th, 2088.  I guess I'll just have to hang out till that week gets here.

10. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

see people I love most and then sit down and pray pray pray

11. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well on my last day I would take the entire day and sit on the porcelain throne.  I want to be well emptied out.  I couldn't bare the thought of having an accident during my autopsy.  sad

12. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh boy a week doesn't give you a lot of time to do anything. i would either fly to Paris or stay here and rob a bank and then give the money away to passers-by under a hail of gunfire. then they would write a book about me, then turn it into a movie, rendering me immortal.

13. profile image57
      patspnnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I was told I had a week to leave I'd go on a long vacation with my three dogs and a bottle of rum

14. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One can only speculate unless you actually get that dianosis....I would like to think that I would spend it fighting for my life and sharing the love of hope that is in God with as many people as I possibly could..... big_smile

2. Sa Toya profile image82
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I would spend it doing all that I wanted to do an with those I love
    I'm not sure if I would be able to try finding a way around it.

3. LizzyBoo profile image59
    LizzyBooposted 14 years ago

I would probably contact all my friends and try to give them all my pets I have. I wont do nothing special. I would be at home and doing all I love to do.

4. Laura Thykeson profile image63
    Laura Thykesonposted 14 years ago

I would spend part of the time writing long letters to those I love and telling them just how much they really mean to me. Then I would like to make some type of video for my 2 yr. old granddaughter and any future grandchildren, so they could sort of "know" me some day. I would definitely seek alternative medical opinions and cures, all while spending as much time as possible with my family and pets, especially my husband, children and grandbabies and father. I got a small taste of this feeling when I went in for a relatively minor heart surgery and found out I was waaayyy worse than they thought and I had to have a bypass. It has changed my outlook on life forever, and I try to take nothing for granted.

This caught my eye because a friend of ours just got news he had about a month left to live. I just wrote a hub about it if anyone is interested.

**Earnestshub-when you had your out of body experience and died and came back, do you remember anything about it, other than the obvious pain? Just curious...

5. profile image0
    tequilarosemama4posted 14 years ago

i do not fear death it's self i actually would be sad at leaving all my loved ones behind. but i have a few near death experiences. in 1999 i survived carbon monoxide posioning. the last few times were the past three years. in 2006 i survived a stroke to the right side of my face. 2008 i survived a heart attack while being nine months pregnant. and 2009 i surviveduterine cancer that almost took my life. so i don't look at life the same as i once did. i spend every day witht he ones i love. never taking our time together for granted. i have been writing letters and memory books so that when that day comes and it's my turn to go those let behind will have something to remember me by and hopefully give them peace of mind as well. so if i had one day left to live i would do everything for my kids in the eighteen yrs i would have had with them. and spend as much time possible with my family and friends.

6. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago
    1. Dixie W profile image60
      Dixie Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This was great!!!!! Leave it to a Texan to have a sense of humour about death. Even your own. HaHaHa

7. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Spend some quality time with my Cock...thats him in the picture....

8. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Spend time with my family,reminisce over memories, turn off the phone and computer and enjoy the life that I had left. smile

9. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I'd smoke a shit load of crack, that I promise.

10. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I would face it with passion and ferocity.
    I would spend it with others, making sure I could help them cope with their issues and minimize my own.

11. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

My life doesn't change, should I be given a diagnosis of death in one weeks time. I don't fear death.

Death is a part of my life, for which, I cannot control, up to a point. My life will continue to go on for the next week, without a single change occurring.

I have only one thing, I would leave behind and that would be a broken-hearted 62yr old mother, who will have watch your youngest child die before her.

This will no doubtedly be the straw that broke the camel's back, and she will pass shortly afterward, most due to her own hand.

However, since this make believe, and no such diagnosis exists. My mother will get to live to see another day. smile

12. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

There are some amazing stories here.  I feel honored that they were shared with us.

For myself - if I only had a week - I'd call folks and have grateful conversations with them, I'd try not to tell them and frankly...yep...I'd clean my house from top to bottom!  I don't want to leave my family with any concerns.  Just get my affairs in order (including cleaning) and leave my loved ones with a terrific memory of our last conversation.  Couldn't possibly see all of them and would be in too much shock to write them so conversation via phone would definately work.  I'd spend some time with three or four of my closest friends/relatives.  Nothing overt...

Death itself doesn't scare me, leaving my family with a mess does - how strange is that?!

1. profile image0
      jkbensenposted 14 years ago

I would find the most beautifulist spot and write a will of my own.. to give every thing to those who have loved me .. and roll over on to my back and say .. take me away ..

2. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years ago

If I had a week, I'd invent thirty more days to the week; at least I'd be able to drink the Keg I just bought.

3. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Barring anything illegal or immoral, what wouldn't I do?

I wouldn't waste away the week feeling too sorry for myself.

4. AnythingArtzy profile image68
      AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

well since I haven't been given a week but do have a terminal illness, I have like rope mentioned, cleaned and sorted everything in my house and have given my kids the things I want them to have already. Aside from that nothing else has changed much except my priorities and I have no wish to travel like I had priviously thought I might pondering this question pre terminal. All I want to do is just enjoy my boys and not stress over the things I can't control.

1. tobey100 profile image60

You, my dear, are one tough little lady!

1. AnythingArtzy profile image68
          AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank ya tobey
          how are ya?

Hangin' in there.  Freezing cold again and waiting for more snow.  If ya don't mind I think I may just shoot a prayer or two your way from time to time.

1. AnythingArtzy profile image68
              AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

don't mind at all tobey. Prayer definitely works.
              how much snow ya got now?

2. h.a.borcich profile image61
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Artsy,  I have journals for my hubby, son, and Mom. On the nights I "freak out" a bit, I turn it into writing out what I want to say but haven't or haven't said enough.
          Getting my assets transferred was a big weight off my mind, too.
          And finally, I planned my funeral. Morbid maybe, but I needed to do it. I gave the decision making power with that to my best friend in hopes that my Mom, hubby and son will be more at peace about it.
          I gave up on dirt and dust smile Holly

5. Mamelody profile image60
      Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I would leap for joy and say "finally thank you God I get to leave this f*** planet and chill with you in heaven...big_smile

I still got a lot of stuff I want to get done.  Think I'll hang on the planet and hope I have longer than a week

1. Mamelody profile image60
          Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmm... you've broken your nose, you've lost track of how many kids you have and you've managed to break a lot of female hubbers hearts.. what else could you possibly want to do? lol tongue

6. tipperary profile image61
      tipperaryposted 14 years ago

If i was told i had a week to live.....................id die!!!

1. Preethi Anusha profile image69
        Preethi Anushaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ha ha big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)