jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)

What are some low fat vegeterian meals? Any Ideals?

1. FredAnthonyGarza profile image58
    FredAnthonyGarzaposted 7 years ago

I am really trying to avoid meat to lose weight and for my overall health. I am making things like chili, soup, pasta, salads, veg burgers. veg tacos. Any more ideals? Need some good vegetarian ideals

1. writer83 profile image60
      writer83posted 7 years ago in reply to this

You can try dal (indian) and cheick pea curry. They really are good. Also egg fried rice - although it sounds realy fried and fatty it's not !

FredAnthonyGarzaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

awesome! yum! I am sure I could use pam for the oil so I can replace the bad stuff and through in some vegetables for a great Chinese dish! Maybe could make a tofu stir fry with vegetables to go with it!  Your wonderful!

2. falcon64 profile image59
      falcon64posted 7 years ago in reply to this

For me, since I am also aware of my health and figure.smileI eat more veggie and fruits. A little rice sometime but not most of the time.smile By the way,don't forget to do some exercise.

1. 60
        dikki52posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Try some indian veg food. Some low calories  stuff.

3. 60
      alfredoeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi All; sorry if my ideas are not exactly vegetarians but I just want to leave them here. Maybe someone will listen.

The old saturated fat and meat phobia that grain oils and processed foods industries have been hammering to us for the last 40 years has only produce a 21st century population confronted with obesity and heart disease problems like never before in the history of mankind.

That is because when you avoid saturated fats and meat you compensate increasing carbohydrates and hydrogenated oils. Where do you find these? IN grains, grains oils, processed food and the like.

The best way to keep a healthy weight and sound cardiovascular system is to eat SATURATED FATS, MEATS, EGGS, BUTTERS, NUTS, FRESH FRUIT AND VEGETABLES,. Zero foods that come from a factory, even sodas (big harm)

I know this sounds crazy the first time but give yourself some time to read and think, please go to http://www.omega-3-fish-oil-wonders.com … eight.html

Best wishes for all,
      Alfredo E.

2. torimari profile image80
    torimariposted 7 years ago

I love this site for vegetarian/vegan meals: vegweb.com

It has a rating system and everything for recipe quality and taste. ^^

Great wen site!

3. Rod Marsden profile image86
    Rod Marsdenposted 7 years ago

Boiled rice with vegetables and maybe a little boiled chicken for taste isn't bad. Once you avoid frying, rice isn't so bad.

1. torimari profile image80
      torimariposted 7 years ago in reply to this

He wants vegetarian dishes.

1. Rod Marsden profile image86
        Rod Marsdenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Take out the chicken then...

lol thanks for the tip!! Your the best!

4. Ivorwen profile image85
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

I make humus, from dry beans, so that I can control the ingredients, and pitas when I feel like a meatless dish.  Add a salad on the side, with a bit of vinegar for dressing, and you have a low fat meal.

Bulgur wheat is an excellent side dish. 

Cook up equal parts brown rice, sunflower seeds and lentils in twice as much water.  Season to taste.  I sometimes cook it with a bit of chicken broth or add a vegetable to it - onions, carrots, peas, corn, etc...

Stirfrys are another great way to make vegetarian dishes. I like to make mine with lots of vegtables, served over rice, and pineapple chunks on top.  I make a gravy from the pineapple juice using a bit of cornstarch.

When watching your diet, remember that your body needs a certain amount of salt and fat, in order to be healthy.  Choose sea salt and natural fats for the best results - olive and coconut oils are probably the best.

5. writer83 profile image60
    writer83posted 7 years ago

I love humus

6. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 7 years ago

Try the Morning Star Meal Starters! I'm a meat lover, and I love these. I wrote a hub about their uses. It's textured soy that looks and tastes like real ground beef. I even feed them to my hubby and he thinks he's eating ground beef in spaghetti, chili, and vegetable soup. They're also  a real time saver!

Dear Habee,

Your so right! I love them too! You know my freezer is stocked with them!!! They are easy and family loves them!

7. NewYorker profile image81
    NewYorkerposted 7 years ago

Now, I don't know anything about this subject.. but.. Isn't like the chicken salad from McDonald's enough?

1. falcon64 profile image59
      falcon64posted 7 years ago in reply to this

ha....you're the avid fans of McDonald? I am not used to eat in fast food as much. I love to cook....love to know also people who taste what I cook highly appreciated.

8. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Beans, legumes (especially lentils..I have a lentil pie recipe out here somewhere...), veggies and fruit smoothies.  Make a base for a dish and start experimenting.  Add different veggies, TVP, tofu and the likes to your base.  Squash is very good too and versatile.  You can make spaghetti out of squash and your favorite sauce to it.

9. LRobbins profile image80
    LRobbinsposted 6 years ago

I love vegetarian soups.  I make a big pot every week and have it everyday for lunch, recent ones include roasted red pepper, Italian Veggie Stew, Split Pea, Butternut Squash, Carrot and Ginger, they're low fat, healthy and convenient.

10. 0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 6 years ago

a very good sandwich , that is very low fat and is tasty consists of 2 slices whole grain bread ( make it yourself  ) , a very large portabello mushroom cap, or 2 medium sized ones...
    anyway marinate the portabello mushroom caps in fat free italian dressing overnight, fry them in a non stick skillet, add a soy cheese ( preferably the provalone type made for vegan pizza's). put your caps on the bread and add a little tomato puree or fresh salsa..

I call it a shroom burger..it has a good italian taste, is very lowfat and vegitarian.

working