jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Bacteria in ready-made salads

1. 59
    tachibana3155posted 6 years ago

US researchers found high levels of bacteria linked to faecal contamination in a number of bagged salads.

They said that there was a higher risk of E. coli and salmonella contamination than people realised when they made purchases.

However, the researchers also said that the contaminating bacteria were not something  to worry about on the whole.

E. coli contamination in pre-washed salads killed three and hospitalised more than 100 sufferers about three years ago in the US.

Investigators never found the root of the contamination, although they suspected that the bacteria had come from livestock.

For the purposes of the recent study, researchers examined 208 packaged salads from 16 different brands.

All of the salads were purchased in the eastern US, and all of them were packaged in plastic.

The researchers found that 39% of the 208 study samples probably had more than 10,000 faecal bacteria per gram.

>>read more

1. double_frick profile image80
      double_frickposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i thought we were letting them IRRADIATE our produce to avoid this kind of thing???? 
      so what are they irradiating our lettuce for?!

1. rmcrayne profile image94
        rmcrayneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Are you thinking irradiation is a good thing?

2. lovelypaper profile image69
    lovelypaperposted 6 years ago

I heard about this. You just have to rinse it really well. I think I'd rather make it from scratch.