Would you assist in suicide?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (54 posts)
  1. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 14 years ago

In what circumstances, if any, would you help someone commit suicide?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, i couldn't. but if i were in a coma or something, the kind where you can't move or open your eyes, but can hear and think, i would hope someone would kill me. they are saying now that people in comas for five years or more are showing signs of being aware of their surroundings. horrible thought... sad

1. wyanjen profile image72
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Happy to see you cosette smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would not assist. smile

seanorjohnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for people to live with themselves when they have assisted. Even though they may have done so with the best of intentions.

3. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I doubt I could.

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Never. Because it's murder.

I agree. Nevertheless, in the Uk, many hospitals let terminally ill patients die by not giving them food or drink. We all keep quiet about this practice.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But that's not helping in suicide. My father died that way as well. It's a common practice in older patients that can't be cured.
        It's not suicide, because the person is beyond understanding of what's happening.

Yes tantrum, it's a hard thing to get one's head around. I just don't think depriving someone of food and drink is right somehow.
          A close relative was in this position and as a family we didn't really discuss what was going on. I think we just left it to the doctors and buried our heads in the sand. We knew her death was inevitable but did we hasten her death?

But it's not deprive of food and water. It's not that simple.

The doctor doesn't give more food, but there are medications given.
            And it's only practiced when the patient is more than 80 and can't be recovered. Instead of taking them to hospital to intensive care, they die at home, but with assistance.

2. thisisoli profile image70
          thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not too sure that they let them die like that, but it is not unknown for doctors around the world to make minor 'mistakes'.

Sometimes when people are in too much pain it is the kindest thing to do.

Whether I could do it or not? I'm not so sure, btu I know if I was in late stage terminal cancer and every second I lived was unbearable agony, I would be looking for a way out, and would need help doing so.

You don't need help doing so.
            that would be too selfish!
            What about the person you ask for help ? what about their feelings ?
            and over all, what about them, when you die ?

3. Rafini profile image82
          Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It may not be suicide, but it sounds like murder by starvation.  A horrible thought to do for someone who can't think for themselves.  What I can understand is, if food & water is supplied but not forced.

2. megs78 profile image59
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This also happens with the elderly in palliative care. but there is no secrecy here.  they will die and everyone knows it.  to give them food or drink is to prolong their discomfort and pain.  and I am talking about those elderly who have stopped being able to feed themselves, and have lost the ability to eat or drink, and need morphine every half hour for pain, etc.  THis is not suicide.  it is letting life take its course naturally.

2. drej2522 profile image67
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yup...murder

3. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

4. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Second! Assisted suicide is a no no. sad

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

When a patients quality of life is in question, and it is their wishes-  yes, I would have mercy.  I see the inside of people bodies, everyday.  I've seen cancer up close.  I've seen how it eats a person inside out. 

When they have reached that point of no return, if they were part of my family, I would let mercy dictate means.

Giving morphine to relieve pain is obviously  necessary. I wonder if deliberate overdoses are sometimes administered to speed death and allay intense suffering.

I'm not making any moral point. Just stating that perhaps mercy killing is more prevalent than we like to admit.

4. Naomi R. Cox profile image60
    Naomi R. Coxposted 14 years ago

No, No Heck No!

5. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

no

6. wyanjen profile image72
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Would signing a DNR fall under the category of assisted suicide?
    Think twice before you are sure of your answer...

Of course if you sign your own, there is no responsible party. But if you sign one on behalf of someone else, what category does that fall under?

When a Do Not  Resuscitate is executed, no action is taken. Therefore it is not assisting a suicide. But if you consider the intent of it...
    If you do not take action to ensure the survival of a patient, what does that make you? A murderer?

I signed a DNR, and it was executed. I feel responsible for that death, but I do not second guess my decision. I'm certain is was the correct thing to do.

Legally, I am not A. a murderer or B. a "suicide assister".
    But in my heart, I am B.

This is such a difficult issue to think about. Thanks for your response.

7. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

howdy smile

8. wyanjen profile image72
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

You're welcome.

It is a gray area for sure. I've spent hours considering the questions I put there...
    but only in a philosophical sense.
    I was strong enough to sign it and I'm strong enough to accept it.

I wasn't sure at the time whether I would feel guilt as the years pass, and I'm finding that I don't. It was a decision based on compassion, and with a complete medical understanding of the situation.

If it was me under care that day, I would hope that somebody would have made that same decision on my behalf. smile

9. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

If it were legal and it was one's last wish, why not?
    I think that legal euthanasia as it was done in the movie "Soylent Green," was beautiful!
    If I had a terminal disease and knew my days were numbered, I'd choose to go out, that way with, dignity , a full "tummy" and surrounded by everything I could imagine to make my last moments as joyful as possible.
    Now what's wrong with that?

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing wrong with that at all! smile I have witnessed both ways of dying, I know which I preferred.
      My mates dad died high as a kite with his family and friends at the party! He had terminal cancer, and yes the doc gave him enough morph to ensure he was going and not coming back. smile It was time.

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Earn:
        He knew it, accepted it and left joyously!
        Did you see the movie Soylent Green?
        What a wonderful way to leave this life if it is your desire to go!
        Yes! I would help make someones departure an amazing adventure!
        In my profile I speak of people I've met and chatted with in life who are as "shallow" in thought as are these in this particular forum answering this particular question....:-(

I saw it about a million years ago qwark but can vaguely remember a little of it, but the point is well made. We all have to die at least currently, and may as well go with a bang! When I thought I was going to die from cancer I built a little plan. I have kept it! smile

1. qwark profile image61

Earn:
            How ya doin?
            Have you "overcome?" (a little religious play on words)
            I've had cancers removed from my face....sun damage from lifeguarding for yrs in Calif and Florida...but none were serious.

I am really good thank you qwark. they got all of it. The size of the graft is enormous and looks like a shark attack, but I am fit and well! smile

10. megs78 profile image59
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Just to add here, my grandmother and my husbands grandmother both died within a month of eachother and in similar fashions  during the Christmas season of this year.  In both cases, as soon as they refused to eat or drink or were unable, they were not given any IV's to hydrate and feed them.  We were all a little shocked to hear this and to see it happening, but we learned that this is how it happens and that to feed them would be agony for them and unnecessary suffering.

Megs I suppose I was shocked too. I just feel as a family we let the medical staff take the tough decisions.We remained passive.

11. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

I do not believe it's murder; I believe it's a choice. However, I would never assist with any other person's suicide. I reserve the right to end my own life with dignity (although I hope it never comes down to it),though, and I would never presume to be able to make any such decision for (or impose my values on) another person.

1. qwark profile image61

Glass:
      That makes sense.
      If a friend wanted you to help him/her and it was legal and could be done in a wonderfully painless and creative way that would pls him/her, would you help?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. It has nothing to do with the legality of it. I assume that I am responsible for my own circumstances and the other person is responsible for theirs. Although I can understand the circumstances under which someone would ask for assistance, I know I would only be damaging myself by assisting. If it were legal, I am sure there would be respectful and respectable services for it. I would be able to be there and hold their hand if they asked, I just don't think I could ever actually "push the button" or "pull the trigger" or anything like that for someone else, simply because I could never be sure that they wanted it with their whole heart...I could only make that decision for myself.

1. qwark profile image61

Glass:
          Can you tell me why you could not?
          What is it in your psyche that would find assisting a friend to finish life, and his reason was logical and "good," unworthy of you?
          If he/she were in terrible pain and suffering and begging for your help and it was legal....you would stand by and let the suffering continue?...why?

I already answered that question in the last lines of my previous post. It has nothing to do with being "good enough for me..." It has to do with the fact that I can't ever be in someone else's head, and I would always wonder if it was the meds, or the pain...or anything else speaking, and not my friend.

If you could do it, more power to you. I know I could not. I could hardly bring myself to do it for myself. I simply would never deny someone else the right to do so. I think that should be fairly easy to understand.

1. qwark profile image61

Glass:
              Not easy at all.
              I'd have done my homework first and would know and understand his/her plight.
              If I was convinced I would have no problem helping a friend finish it and with no future compunctions.
              In fact, I would live life happy knowing I had helped end the suffering of a friend.
              if I had not helped, his suffering would hound me until it was my turn to go.

Like I said, if you can do it, good for you; that's between you and the person you see in the mirror. It's not for me to judge your abilities or actions, or for you to judge mine. The question was asked and that's my answer. Your answer is different from mine; neither of us needs permission from one another. I can understand your position; I find it rather un-insightful that you cannot understand mine.

12. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

qwark, that is right. Be humane people. Anyone who has seen late term suffering that continues until the patient needs so much pain killer they become a living drugged out zombie should understand.

Others die in agony begging doctors to stop delivering morphine for the pain to enable them to keep sane enough to talk to their families before they go.
    I admire your compassion. smile

1. qwark profile image61

Earn:
      You are a gentleman and a scholar.....ty sir!  :-)

13. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I have sat and watched the suffering of loved ones; expecting to be asked this question.  I had contimplated for quite some time what my answer might be. Luckily I didn't have to finalize my decision.
       My point would have to be that NEVER say that you would never do anything in this life. Life has a way of making you eat your own words.

14. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Wow! What a crazy question. The first precept in Buddhism is, I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from harming living beings. So no I could not help someone to end their life. This would be a struggle for me do to my compassion but I believe this is bad kharma. So the answer is no. I cannot.

15. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

No, however, if someone were really ill, and their chances of surviving were pretty slim, I think I would look for other means to help them get their wish, but, more than likely I would not want to be around to watch them suffer, and hope that they would go peacefully.

I know of a lot of people who have died of AIDs. You would never see them get sick, and the next thing you know, you hear from someone else that they died. I only had one close friend who died of the disease, and he never said that he wanted to Die, but he knew he was going to. The disease took his life in just a few months. He was only 22.

However, even though I know a lot of people who have died of AIDS, I know ten times more who have died of Cancer. So,
    sickness doesn't discriminate. We only hope that those who are sick will get healthy again. It does happen.

It seems sad that nobody seems to care when someone dies of old age. Almost like a dog or a cat, but, for someone to die of a sickness gets a lot of boo hoos. Just spend some time in a nursing home, it is the saddest thing you will ever see.

16. spsos profile image59
    spsosposted 14 years ago

never, ever, ever... I am the spouse of one who did choose suicide, and I would never be able to live with myself if I had been directly involved - indirectly is enough.

17. profile image0
    Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years ago

No, I would assist in attempting to prevent suicide.

18. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I would never ever assist with suicide, nor would I sign a DNR if there was a chance for the person to live the rest of their life in a way that was meaningful to them.  I mean, I would sign a DNR at a certain point of a terminal illness or a coma situation, otherwise No.

19. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I had always thought I might be able to do this for a loved one who had rather die than continue suffering. When I came face to face with it, however, I couldn't do it. My mom had Alzheimer's, and when she was still "with it" enough to know what was happening to her, she begged me to help her die, but I couldn't do it.

20. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

absolutely NO! i wouldn't help anyone commit suicide, as it's wrong. However, i would offer to talk to the person and most of all, LISTEN to them.  Listen to everything they have to say. if there's one thing i know about suicidal people is that they tend to bottle up things inside to the point where they  feel like the world curses them just for staying true to themselves. therefore, a suicide attempt seems justified in their eyes.  that is why i would listen to EVERYTHING they told me, then try the best i could to give them my advice and comfort as OBVIOUSLY nobody ever did that for them.

21. Cotsy profile image59
    Cotsyposted 12 years ago

Easy to say NO until you have seen someone suffer for months, lose their dignity, seen the pain and hurt in their eyes.  I would like to think someone would help me and if I could I would help another person before they cease to be a human being and become a shell of one.
    Dont be hard on those who do help people.  Some people have reached the stage where they are dead but their heart is still beating - its hideous and a terrible way to remember someone.  Let them go in peace before they get to that stage

22. profile image54
    ForYourInfoposted 12 years ago

Are you crazy !!!!! Committing suicide is a crime and assisting it also the same.So,nobody should indulge people to commit suicide.but in some cases,it has been found that people have assisted to commit suicide to give the person relief.  If he is suffering from some hopeless diseases and want to relies from that pain,it has been provoked to commit suicide.But that's totally a different issue.

23. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I would help someone commit suicide who desperately needed it - all religious far right fanatics apply here :  big_smile

Seriously - it is wrong to keep a person alive for any rule or because another person wants - if a person is in pain and no hope of resuming normal life and they request an end then it should be totally up to them.  And if someone in that situation asked I would feel privelaged that they might think me the best person to help them when they really needed it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)