jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Lump in the Breast

1. Alota profile image58
    Alotaposted 6 years ago

On Friday night my friends and I were having a laugh as they read my latest Hub "Love in the Gym" when one of my friends said that she had found a lump in one of her breasts last week, she has now to go for tests but she is afraid, do women here have regular checks, my friend is only 25 years old......do you know anyone who has went through this process of discovery and treatment.....

1. 0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I found a lump in my breast when I was 19 years old. It was a calcium build up and medication broke it up within a week.

2. 0
      Deborah Sextonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Roughly about 75% of lumps in the breast are benign (not cancer or harmful) so tell your friend not to worry until she gets a diagnosis.

If it turns out to be cancer there are some great new medications for this.

But tell her to get a diagnosis.

2. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

My neighbour aged 39 died from cancer Friday week, tragic and painfull story, left behind a young family, everything to live for, I think it is important that both men and women get checked regularly

3. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

It's always good to get anything abnormal checked.

4. 0
    Deborah Sextonposted 6 years ago

Men die from breast cancer also. When a man feels a lump in his breast he tends to ignore it. At times some men think breast cancer is a woman's disease and can't affect him.

5. valeriebelew profile image82
    valeriebelewposted 6 years ago

I have had two breast biopsies in my life, both negative.  The first occurred when I was in my early thirties.  The second occurred this month.  I am now 59 years old.  My doctor told me that 90% of these are benign, even with my family history, which is filled with cancer cases.  If your friend does not have cancer in her family, the odds are 95 to 1 that it is benign.  Still, she needs to have it checked right away.  I know there is a tendency to want to pretend it is not there; I know because I just went through it.  Don't do that.  Get it checked, and either relieve your mind by knowing it is not cancer, or have it treated properly now. Hope this helped.

6. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

valeriebelew - you are a very couragous woman - may God bless you and I hope that all turns out well for you smile

7. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

You should always get lumps checked, most of the time they are nothing, but an early catch could save your life!