jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Breakups or Breakthroughs? Relationships & Mental Ilness

1. nightnday profile image61
    nightndayposted 6 years ago

Hey there,
    I find that personal relationships can be hard to handle & keep at times because I'm bipolar.  I think breaking the news to a new partner is an art,lol.   

Have you lost friends or partners because of it?  If you've had luck, what do you think makes things work for you.

the new girl, Nightnday

1. 0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have had people treat me differently for awhile after I tell them about my mental illness, but it usually passes. Most people are pretty understanding and will treat me like they'd treat anybody else. These are the people who help me keep going. I dislike it when people act as if they are walking on egg shells around me.

1. nightnday profile image61
        nightndayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you on that one.. 

I usually wait a while before sharing, so that friends can know me as me & not as the bipolar girl.

My pet peeve after they've found out:   I don't like it when people start looking at me closely when I'm laughing, or when I'm just pensive and tired--as if they're trying to figure out if I'm having a mood swing.

With good friends it passes, but it's sad when it doesn't.  That's nice that you have supportive friends=)

1. 0

Sadly, some people start seeing you as your illness and not as you. Sometimes people with an illness will start allowing it to define them.

Truthfully though, I have found that my illness is a great way to kind of "test the boundaries of friendship" with a person. When you finally tell them, how they react can definitely help you see what kind of person they truly are.

2. donotfear profile image91
    donotfearposted 6 years ago

I usually laugh and joke about my OCD. It sets folks at ease. It sets me at ease!!!

1. 0

I think a lot of people do that, donotfear. I certainly do. I make jokes all the time about my Schizophrenia and the voices. I think laughter definitely sets people at ease and is a great comfort to everyone smile

2. 0
      pinkyleeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i do the same thing ...

working