jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

why are they called wisdom teeth

1. 0
    Lecieposted 6 years ago

i just had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out on friday. there's still alot of swelling and pain. my cheeks are even starting to bruise. it seems to be getting worse instead of better. despite following all instuctions and taking all medications. what i want to know is why they are called wisdom teeth when their removal has left me with more questions than ever before. for instance how do i stop the pain, swelling and bruising?
    have any of you ever wondered about why they're called wisdom teeth? anyone come up with a theory of their own?
    my theory is i have gained more wisdom in the fact that with such pain my hair is turning gray.lol...(ouch i forgot i can't laugh)

1. kateb123 profile image61
      kateb123posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey  Lecie,

I'm sorry you're in pain! I had a really tough time with my wisdom teeth too. See if the dentist can give you a syringe that you can fill with water to squirt in the back of your mouth. It keeps food out of the stitches, which can make the pain much worse.

I would just eat a lot of icecream and take a lot of those painkillers they give you.

I think they're called wisdom teeth because they come in when you get older. Allow me to point out the irony that the first thing we do when they start coming in is take them out. I'm sure that says something about our society, don't you?

2. 0
    Lecieposted 6 years ago

thanks for the advice. i'm sure you're right about society.

3. bellevuedentist profile image61
    bellevuedentistposted 6 years ago

Wisdom teeth are your third molars, which usually come in between the ages of 17 and 25, although I have seen patients as young as twelve who have had their wisdom teeth come in.

As far as your pain goes, make sure to follow the advise of your oral surgeon.  Often times, people will mistakenly use the syringe to soon, and actually wash out the blood clots, packing, and/or stitches.  This often times will lead to dry sockets, which are very painful.

Don't smoke, keep your mouth clean with warm water and sea salt, and keep ice on the outside of the extraction site.