jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

How to tell someone they Smell Bad

1. browsed profile image60
    browsedposted 6 years ago

I have a friend who smells bad like garbage, whenever she comes near. She seems to be not knowing it. In what way should i tell it to her without causing pain to her mind.

2. Stuart Barnes profile image61
    Stuart Barnesposted 6 years ago

Maybe something like, "If I knew something embarrassing about you would you want me to tell you or not?"  If they say yes then they may be more receptive to your suggestion.  I think most people would like to know if they smell bad but maybe she can't do anything about it because she picks up her smell from her surroundings.
    If you are really a friend I think you tell her.

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is a really good approach.

3. bellevuedentist profile image59
    bellevuedentistposted 6 years ago

A true friend will tell you the truth without hesitation.  Obviously there are nice ways of wording the "ugly truth", but be sincere, personable, and do it in a private setting.

1. 0
      Justine76posted 6 years ago in reply to this

get her a gift basket with soaps, prefume, etc. Everyobdy likes to get nice things, and it can kind of lead into the conersation. If I smelled bad, I absoultely would want to know.

4. 59
    Mileeposted 6 years ago

Is this a new thing in her smelling bad. Cause maybe it could be a medical issue. Either way you should tell her in private. I would want to know if it were me. Especially if there could be a health concern.

5. IntimatEvolution profile image80
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

I'd say, "Dude you smell bad."

6. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 6 years ago

I used to work behind a bar when I was much younger in a large club, a new guy joined, who I already knew from school years before. The girls behind the bar however soon started to complain about his smell, which was quite bad I must admitt.. Being the only other guy behind the bar I was elected to tell him about the smell!

I took him to one side and tried to break it to him gently without causing embarresment - this was the last any of us saw of him at work! I was tactful, I was pleasant, I understated the problem, but.... we never saw him again!!!!

I guess if you know someone then you will know how far you can go in telling them...

Today, if someone asked me to tell someone that I did not know that they smelt I would have no problem in handing them a bar of soap and telling them to not return till they had a shower and started to wear deoderant, but I'm a little less tactful and tolerant than I was when i was younger..

7. Mekenzie profile image91
    Mekenzieposted 6 years ago

I had a friend that smelled bad.  She knew it too and had consulted her Doc.  It was a medical condition to which the Doc. said there was NO solution.  I felt so sorry for her.  I have learned recently that the supplement Chlorophyll helps to treat body odors.