jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Any Pharmacists in the House??

1. TheGlassSpider profile image79
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

I'm having serious problems with the pharmacy who serves the disabled man for whom I care. Every month they are messing up his prescriptions, don't have some of them, or forget to renew his prescriptions (even though he's set up on the so-called "automatic renewal) option. Today the manager at the pharmacy informed me that "we don't have time to check the database every time we fill a prescription." All of his prescriptions are COPD/asthma related and his condition is severe; this week he had to go five days without one of his medications and it really took a toll on him. I'm already in the process of changing companies.

I've had enough and I really want to do something about these people because as far as I can tell their shoddy service is actually putting people's lives at risk...

The problem is that I don't know how to go about doing so. I know I can make a complaint to the BBB, but are there any laws (US) concerning the appropriate dispensation of medications...or professional pharmacy organizations I should look into?

What's your advice?

Thanks ahead of time.

1. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

jeez they don't have time to do their jobs?!

that's outrageous. i'm with MikeNV, switch to Costco if you can. they always want to make sure their customers leave happy.

i'm sorry that that gentleman has to suffer for their laziness and unprofessionalism. sad

i hope you get things resolved soon.

2. Rainbow Pride profile image58
      Rainbow Prideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would contact your local Department of Human Services since it is a neglectful act that is putting others at risk. They will help you to contact the correct organizations to undergo an investigation.

Until then, Costco and HyVee both have good pharmacies.

3. stoneangel444 profile image59
      stoneangel444posted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you really want action you should contact the doctor who wrote the order for the drugs and advise him of the problem. Not only will he/she help he/she will probably take a strip off the irresponsible pharmacy...

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

There is a hubber called "Pharmacist". search.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image79

Huh. Go figure. Thanks, Rochelle!

4. MikeNV profile image76
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

If it's possible to switch then find a new pharmacy.  I have never had a problem with Costco Pharmacy.  But I've also not had much of a need for prescriptions.  But that kind of behavior certainly wouldn't fly with the people who run Costco.

You can file a complaint with your state.

Your State probably has a regulatory agency where you can file a complaint.

Example for Texas:  http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/consumer/broch9.htm

5. TheGlassSpider profile image79

Thanks guys! I'm researching some companies who claim to deliver to our door and renew prescriptions ahead (so they arrive on time). I really have been appalled at this pharmacy's behavior, and am definitely changing companies.

Unfortunately, we do not have a Costco nearby. But it would be tough to do worse than these guys.

Thank you Mike for the advice about making a complaint to the State - that's exactly the sort of thing I"m looking for. These people need to take the gravity of their positions FAR more seriously. I just keep thinking "What if this were someone's heart medicine??"

6. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

hey that's a good idea, actually (home delivery). smile bless you for helping him.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image79
      TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aww, thanks, cosette. Bless you for saying. He just breaks my heart - he continues on every day in a condition I sure don't know if I could handle. I hope if I'm ever in that shape, I have someone to help me smile

7. westdrug profile image61
    westdrugposted 6 years ago

First of all, hats off to you! And you know why. smile

Secondly, there are certainly some pharmacies that are genuine, but you need to do thorough research to find out who is right and who is wrong. I can say this because I too own a pharmacy in Orange County, California.

Anyway, references from reputed doctors may help, but only if they are not sponsoring/harboring vested interests such as comissions etc.
    Btwn, you can also check out some of my hubs on my profile! smile