Tired of "Lose Weight Fast" Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (37 posts)
  1. mixfitness profile image61
    mixfitnessposted 13 years ago

Is anyone else tired of the overabundance of lose weight fast, get a 6-pack fast, lose belly fat fast, etc. hubs?  I follow the weight management topic because I am a personal trainer and like to stay connected to the information that's out there.  But, I think it's getting ridiculous!  Agree or disagree?

1. classicalgeek profile image82
      classicalgeekposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. And if I ever see another article, anywhere, on "How to Loose Weight" I think I will lose all my marbles. (Or "loose" them, from a slingshot, on to either the author or my computer screen.)

mixfitnessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That misspelling cracks me up every time!

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What exactly are you referring to? The people who publish hubs are no different than you. They write to provide information, products, advice, knowledge, or whatever.
      It is no more ridiculous than the TV/Cable ads on your television at home. The internet has close to 300 billion pages, websites, hubs, blogs and an assortment of other named sites.
      I disagree. Unless you have a personal problem with each one of them, because they are giving out false information or such. Is there something that you know, that these people are doing that is false or a lie?

If so, have you contacted these people to inform them that their information or hub is invalid or a lie or false?

If you have, then good for you. If they haven't changed it, then you have done what could be done, besides flagging it, which I am not sure would do any good. Anyone visiting anything online should always verify the information they receive, otherwise, how would they know whether or not it is factual or truth(honest).

Just my thoughts. smile

I agree with you that it's no more ridiculous than the ads on TV.  And that's my issue.  Quick fixes (for weight loss) rarely work in the long term, so people who use them are forced over and over to find the next promise of fast results.  I'd like to see an overabundance of "how to eat healthy for the rest of your life"  or "incorporate exercise daily into lifestyle" type of hubs!

1. Cagsil profile image70

Then, I can only say that you might want to write even more hubs. smile wink

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most of them are giving out false information... or no information at all, just to sell ebooks or useless supplements or products.  And it's really not worth contacting them to tell them they're full of BS.  Most of them don't care; they're just trying to make a buck at the expense of others.

The diet industry is a soulless one, if you ask me.  The amount of misinformation and lack of conscience that abounds is staggering.  People don't want to accept that not everyone is actually able to look like a movie star.  We are all limited by our genetics.  The emphasis ought to be on health, not on aesthetics.  But "get healthy" doesn't sell like "get thin."

1. Cagsil profile image70

I understand that Maddie. That was the overall point was that not much can be done about it. HubPages isn't about to rip all of them down, either.

There has been a lack of knowledge about the issue for a great many years. The only way to correct the problem is proper guidance from parents, to make their children more aware of how precious it is to their health and length of life.

Without it, it is meaningless. Proper instruction in GYM class in schools would be helpful too, instead of simple "sports" fields.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so true. I've never looked at that category here at HP, but I do notice a lot of articles online with no credentials, no real information other than something you can tell was put together with no real thought behind it, just someone trying to make money.

it's frustrating to try and find well documented articles on a search unless you know exactly what site you're going to. I read recently that Google is trying to crack down on those kind of articles.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The very least they could do would be to include a disclaimer.

2. mixfitness profile image61

rebekahELLE - I think you share the same sentiment as many average consumers searching for credible information!

3. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Cgasil here, its always good to have a variety of peoples opinions, I wrote about fitness and included all my own pictures!

3. profile image0
      mc23gposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those who misspell "lose" with "loose", are trying to rank for that specific keyword because "loose weight fast" has much fewer competitors than "lose weight fast."

The whole weight loss niche is very saturated, but you can't blame someone for trying, lol. smile

Wow, that is interesting!

4. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about some gain weight fast hubs?  big_smile  That should balance out all the weight lost.

5. Adult Content profile image57
      Adult Contentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To answer your question: yes.  This type of hub is in abundance because people who are advertising affiliates sometimes make a little money with these hubs because people are stupid enough to read this stuff!

2. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

Its because it is such a huge niche.  people all over the place are trying to make money off it.

I am an affiliate marketer and wouldnt touch weight loss with a 10 foot pole.

First of all when it comes to issues like this I would be scared to give wrong advice and possibly cause someone some harm.

Secondly breaking into this niche is practically impossible.  I guess I shouldnt say impossible but trust me when I say there are much easier niches

3. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've got one article on weight loss, but its full of practical information and its just something I happen to know a lot about.
    But it never gets any hits at all nowadays sad

It seems if you don't include the magic word, "fast" in your title about weight loss, few are interested in reading it:(

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

Well I confess to the crime of producing a hub on this topic today. I'd come across something that is being widely written about, which seemed really bizarre. When I dug round the scientific journal literature, I discovered there was actually some fairly solid basis to it. I thought it might be useful to summarise what I'd found for other people.

Given that the money-making ethos is a fairly major strand driving Hubpages, it doesn't surprise me that some people write hubs about subjects they hope will generate money rather than writing about subjects for which they have a genuine interest. I don't think this is a matter for which to condemn them. They might be in desperate need of finance.

It's definitely not a crime to write on the topic!  And, I'm not condemning them either.  There are so many misleading and unhealthy ways to lose weight, that the public is not hearing the message about changing your lifestyle so that you never had the need to lose weight fast again.

1. profile image0
        Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mixfitness

I don't know about in America, but there are plenty of messages out in the public eye about the importance of exercise and eating healthily.  Why are their rising levels of obesity?  Because many people chose to ignore them. You cannot take away the element of choice. That's why more sensible hubs get ignored.

5. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

Well... if someone writes an article about "How to lose weight with shock therapy" I might actually read it. Hopefully they have some videos to prove it!

big_smile

6. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

Your right there everywhere! people dont realize you have to envoke a healthy lifestyle and quit going for quick fix's

7. wisetobefit profile image60
    wisetobefitposted 13 years ago

I actually find it entertaining at times but then again so many people fall for the "fast fix". News flash there isn't one, it all comes down to excerise and eating the right foods, nothing more.

You're so right!

8. NaomiR profile image74
    NaomiRposted 13 years ago

I also confess to writing a few weight loss hubs -- but they're more about my own weight loss journey and some practical things I've learned along the way. I never try to sell anything and I always make it clear that I'm not a doctor. I write them, though, because I tend to write hubs about things relating to my own life.

That's interesting about the whole lose vs. loose thing. I'd never put "Loose" in a title, though, because I'd want to correct it every time I saw it, LOL.

9. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Instant gratification just isn't quick enough.
    Same with losing weight and getting a six-pack.

However, if it was instantaneous we would never appreciate the value of achieving what hard work and time has done for us. So I agree. Too much emphasis put on a "flash-in-a-pan" way of thinking.

10. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Isn't it sad that "thin" sells and prevention doesn't?

And yes, the more sensible hubs are ignored.

How can we make prevention sexy?

11. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

Yes, fellow writers, I too, am tired of weight loss scams and magic potions for dieting on hubpages, in the media, and everywhere.

Resources:

Women Afraid to Eat; Breaking Free in Today's Weight-Obsessed World      by Frances M. Berg, MS. www.healthyweight.net

The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls (1997) by Joan     Jacobs Brumberg: Random House. Chronicles the change in body     image attitudes in women over the past 100 years through the diaries     of girls.

Body Wars; Making Peace with Women’s Bodies (2000). An Activist’s     Guide by Margo Maine.

Big Fat Lies; The Truth about Your Weight and Your Health (2002) by     Glenn Gaesser, Ph.D.

The Obesity Myth: Why American’s Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to     Your Health (3004) by Paul Campos.

Self-Esteem Comes in All Sizes; How to Be Happy and Healthy at Your     Natural Weight (2001) by Carol Johnson, MA.

Live Large! Affirmations For Living The Life You Want In The Body You     Already Have (2003) by Cheri Erdman, Ed.D

12. Suzie Parker profile image61
    Suzie Parkerposted 13 years ago

My take on the whole "lose weight fast" thing is that thousands of people everyday are searching on Google how to lose weight fast. This month's global average of people who searched for "how to lose weight fast" was 450,000.

Those people know that they have to lose weight the slow, long term way by eating healthy and by exercising regularly. But they are impatient and are pressured to find quick fix solutions. And they return to those quick fix solutions time and time again.

So all that we can do are to make those quick fix hubs and articles as healthy as possible and to hope that they follow course!

1. nlowman profile image62
      nlowmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What people need to remember is how long it took them to gain the weight and inches. It will take just as long, if not longer, because it's easy to "fall off" for a few days....or weeks.

13. olivia39 profile image52
    olivia39posted 13 years ago

There is no easy or magic way to lose weight quickly in a healthy way. Get out there and move! Jog for short distances (don't stress your heart), and it's even more fun to go with a friend.

14. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

AGREE---We live in a I want it now generation with the least amount of work. There is NO MAGIC BULLET.  Exercise and count calories.  Use up more calories each day the you take in and you will lose weight. I am sure that answer goes no where.

1. Jemmy-T profile image59
      Jemmy-Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but unfortunately many people too lazy to exercise.

1. brandon125 profile image60
        brandon125posted 13 years agoin reply to this

that would make two of us..

15. Adult Content profile image57
    Adult Contentposted 13 years ago

Again, I say "yes"!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)