Let's talk about anxiety~what it feels like~how you relieve it

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (43 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I feel like I could have ptsd or add or ocd

but i'm bipolar and I have bad anxiety and social anxiety

I have fear of heights and I get anxiety when driving late at night--once it gets dark out

at times of panic I felt like I was going to drive thru the red light and had to put the car in park --awful

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had an anxiety attack in my twenties that actually paralyzed the right side of my body... made my face numb, fingers numb, etc.  They actually thought I was having a stroke. At 20!

See a physician for sure, but I can tell you that you can totally get past that sort of thing.  It's completely trite and cliché and whatever sounding to say, but, you will be stronger for it on the other side. 

People who don't understand what it is to fight for "a grip" can't appreciate what it means to have one. Period.

Find your center.  Get help if you have to.  F-ck ego.  Just do it.  You'll like the you you find on the other side of that journey.

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get help all the time, they don't solve everything thou
        I guess it's a long journey, lots of talk/group therapy

2. profile image50
      Panicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This may seem like a bold statement but from personal experience, I've found that massage techniques are not only the best way to relieve anxiety and stress, they also carry with it many other benefits that down the road will help relieve anxiety even more. Other techniques such as meditation and yoga and other relaxation techniques are great, and are highly recommended, however, there's nothing like massage techniques mostly due to the added health benefits for people suffering with anxiety.

3. smcopywrite profile image60
      smcopywriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

fearer is anxiety. fear is the strongest emotion that you will ever feel. its stronger than love or hate. anxiety is a condition that has to be treated. if you are diagnosed as bipolar you may never get over it. however, you can learn to live with it. seek treatment so that you can.

4. profile image0
      Stephanie Dwyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are still dealing with these issues I recommend first figuring out what your disorder really is. What relationship would your phobias have with ptsd. What types of obsessions and compulsions are you having? It sounds to me like you have specific phobia's which cause the panic. I recommend visiting http://www.happytrails122.com/Self_Assesment_Page.html printing it and taking our time filling it out. There is also a product page designed to help you find a program to control/cure the situation. Good Luck,
      Stephanie

2. lightning john profile image60
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

I was treated for panic attacks/anxiety for 3 years in the early 90s.  I had to stop taking the very strong drugs that were prescribed for me,(that turned into another problem).
    What helps is to do breathing exercizes early upon waking.
    And meditation, actually making a visual positive blueprint of your day. And then massive amounts of physical exercize. Stay away from vodca it only makes things worse.

interesting, i used to exercise quite a lot
      breathing is good
      both are--just gotta do it /stop being lazy!

3. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

I relieve my anxiety through deep breathing and positive thoughts.

sounds good

4. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Bi-polar disorder, OCD, PTSD, ADD, Social Anxiety Disorder, generalized anxiety, and panic/anxiety attacks are all different things.  I think, in order to know how to deal with any of them (and you could have more than one) you first need to have a professional diagnose exactly what kind of disorder (if any) you have.

A person who has been through a lot, or who is going through a lot, can have a kind of "overall" anxiety that gets worse if the person is in a situation that makes him a little more nervous or tense than other situations do.  Also, thinking about what you're dealing with can bring on heightened anxiety.

If you already know you have Bi-Polar Disorder you must already have a doctor.  Talk to him or her about whatever you're experiencing.  A lot of things that are associated with Bi-Polar Disorder are things people may not think would be - so do talk to whoever diagnosed you. 

There are different types of, and levels of, anxiety; so one person's experience with it isn't necessarily the same as someone else's.  I'm going to write a Hub about how I got myself through some anxiety episodes.  It will be up in the next couple of days.  (I'm not sure it will be of any help, though, because, again, different people's anxiety and reason for it can be very different.

good points..just thinking can cause anxiety
      oh and certain meds for it like xanax they say are very addictive
      look forward to your hub

5. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

That paralysing type of fear is awful and can be very debilitating.  I think you have to find what works for you and you're going to have to do a little bit of experimenting.  Do talk to your Dr but resist any drugs unless you want to take then.  Exercise, meditation can help.  You could also consider some form of therapy.  I have had neuro-linguistic programming to overcome some of mine,and I had some very extreme reactions such as vomitting over myself when I was driving.  It helped me but it's not for everyone and one needs a reputable practitioner.

6. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

When I was a child I jumped at every little thing. I always thought I could do nothing right and was always worried about what everyone thought of me.

Around about age 17 I realized how silly it all was and what a waste of life I was doing to myself. I got a laid back attitude, learned to love myself and learned how to be sure of myself.

It's been years since I've had any anxiety or anything even close to it. I take my own damn sweet time about everything, put myself first without being an ass and I know that nobody is any better than me.

All without any help or taking any pills, which BTW I think is what is making everyone so sick and weak. Relax, be cool and feel good about yourself. It does wonders! smile

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

great smile How exactly -in the moment you 'felt better 'at age 17....did u feel? What were your exact thoughts or actions that made you change for the better?
    Also, just in case, Do you know of people who are diagnosed bipolar and go au natural?  Thx! smile

1. Bill Manning profile image70
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was more like changing my outlook on life and people in general. I just decided I was not going to worry about what others thought of me, that everyone has problems and it was not just me.

You can't please everyone all the time. Heck you can't even please a lot of them some of the time! So just relax, calm down and live life the way you want to, at your own speed, on your own terms.

It's a bit like learning how to love yourself, being at peace with yourself. It also means not caring what others think of you, or following what most others do.

It's not easy, but damn it sure feels good! Once I made those changes in my life I was so much more happy. Nothing fazes me now, it's a great feeling. smile

1. profile image53
        Celtic Mistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"It none of my business what other people think of me"
        I do not know the origins of that expression but it is worth remembering, It is quite profound. To much energy is put into worrying about the impressions that we make on other people. We make the mistake of thinking that "the world revolves around me" when in fact it does not.

1. Wendy Krick profile image64
          Wendy Krickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is one of my favorite sayings Celtic! "It is none of my damn business what other people think of me".

And if you know what they were thinking it would probably be that they are worried about what you think of them?

So who cares! Just be yourself.

sometimes I can be myself, but 1/2 the time or more I'm irritable and moody which people don't like.........

I do get caught up in thnking the world revoves around me which makes me nervous

I get your point though!  I think surrounding myself with positive poeple helps

8. alkantenik profile image60
    alkantenikposted 13 years ago

I have anxiety too. I have it for 5 years.
    Panic attact is the arm of the anxiety. I had panic attact 2 years ago but now very little problem.

We always think negative imagination. I think we need some events. We should not stay alone for a long time. Because we start to think negative imagination.

It is very hard disease. I am also stutterer and have psoriasis.
    I am sorry for bad english. I live in Turkey.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your input.
      God bless and feel good

9. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

I suffered with panic and anxiety for years. (I wrote about it on my "How to be worry free" hub.)I learned to meditate it made a huge difference. I also did deep breathing exercises....

Lay on your back on the floor and put a thick book on your stomach. Slowly Inhale and focus on raising the book up with your stomach muscles. Then exhale and watch the book go back down. After a few times you should begin to feel better.

10. Sunnybrook1975 profile image56
    Sunnybrook1975posted 13 years ago

I have the WORST situation.  I used to get panic attacks years ago, when I was 18.....and had them for YEARS.  For some reason, when I got pregnant, I stopped getting them, so I figured it had something to do with my hormones.  After I had my daughter, I'd get mild anxiety, but wouldnt really go into full blown panic attacks.....And then it happened.  2 weeks ago, my fiance and I were driving from south Florida to Long Island, NY.  It was my turn to drive.  My fiance and daughter were fast asleep in the back, me behind the wheel.  Suddenly, the biggest bridge in life just appeared from NOWHERE.  (Delaware Gap)  I f**ing FREAKED!  Hyperventilation, dizziness, lips locked, total loss of control.  I dont know HOW but I made it over the bridge.  I screamed for my fiance to get up to help me.  He said I was completly green.  He took the wheel and within 10 minutes I was back to normal.....for then.  NOW I cant freaking drive anywhere, I mean ANYWHERE with out freaking out.  I live in Florida so there are bridges EVERYWHERE.  I have been driving 15-20 minutes out of my way to try to avoid the bigger ones.  The second I open my eyes in the morning my first thought is, I have to friggin drive today (over some bridge).  I dont know what to do.  Dont want to be on any type of meds, I have tried them all.  Any suggestions:(????????

1. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Drive over short bridges over and over. Drive over...turn around...drive back over.  After awhile, it won't bother you anymore. I had the same thing when I lived on Sullivan's Island, SC and had to drive to Charleston across the Cooper River Bridge every day. Narrow, old, scary.  I barely would make it across and would have to stop at a filling station on the other side to breathe and get my composure back. After about 3 months, it didn't bother me anymore.

1. profile image50

Hey, Amie. I live in Summerville. The traffic in the Charleston area doesn't help a whole lot either. I avoid Highway 26 like the plague. Only take it if I absolutely have to. I don't care if another route takes me a bit longer. Of course, I am retired and am generally not in a big hurry to get anywhere but 26 scares the bejeesus out of me

1. profile image0
          Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Summerville is beautiful. I never lived there, but my parents did, so we'd go visit their friends. I-26 is madness through Charleston! That Mark Clark expressway was supposed to help, but I seriously can't see where it did. Last time I was there, the Mark Clark was madness as well!

1. profile image50

Traffic generally in this whole area is horrendous. Not so bad if you take 26 West but if you go East toward Charleston it is really bad no matter what road you take. I guess that's the result of all of us Yankees who retired here!

11. tritrain profile image71
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Usually some form of systematic desensitization therapy will do the trick.

And maybe drugs.

I suggest the former.  Slowly add more and more exposure to the things that trigger the anxiety (once you figure out what they are) and develop a comfort with them.

12. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Anxiety disorder comes in many forms -- we recognize the symptoms but not realize they are a bona fide mental condition.
    There are self-care techniques one can employ. Deep breathing, meditation, yoga, exercise, cognitive behavioral therapy (ok, that one requires a therapist).
    Massage is definitely nature's cure-all (good for whatever ails ya!) Probably acupuncture as well.

Personally, I believe that if something is overtaking your life and inhibiting your ability to function, it's time to get professional help. When you're dealing with brain chemistry, the professional is a psychiatrist. I get really nervous thinking about PCPs prescribing antidepressants and antianxiety meds.
    *Shudder*
    You need an official diagnosis and to be tracked to see if your symptoms are getting worse or better.
    Congratulations to all those who were able to talk themselves out of or grew out of their anxiety. But if you are unable to do that, don't beat yourself up. Get the help you need.
    My two cents.
    Been there, living that.
    MM

13. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

My husband suffers of anxiety attacks all the time. Easy fix - Bang the head with a large frying pan!

LOl!
      My mom used to tell us (her 10 kids) bang your head against the wall and knock your self out!! hmm lol lol

14. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I like drinking alcohol to solve/forget my problems

I do too, more lately but don't worry I don't drink alot! lol

15. Mighty Mom profile image77

Bang whose head? His... or yours?
    (not fun being around someone having a panic attack!)

LOLOL!!! lmao smile

16. Mighty Mom profile image77

The best thing about banging your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop!

agreed! LOL though I've never done it wink

17. anime_nanet profile image58
    anime_nanetposted 13 years ago

Answering and ceating stupid hubpages forum posts is the recipe for me.

1. profile image0
      selrachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you do it well  big_smile

1. anime_nanet profile image58
        anime_nanetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why, thanku selwhatver

18. LouMacabasco profile image61
    LouMacabascoposted 13 years ago

Anxiety is a negative thought and feeling that paralyzes alot of people when it attacks.  And I did experience it at some point in my life.  But what I keep on reminding myself in times of anxiety attacks is to keep my thoughts with positive things.  I do not let negative thoughts sink into my mind.  Because I know how much thoughts can affect my whole reality.  so if you want to stop anxiety, start by thinking and sticking to positive thoughts. it's the first step. smile

19. mytutorialplanet profile image60
    mytutorialplanetposted 13 years ago

I have actually just written a blog about my everyday struggles with social anxiety disorder

http://hubpages.com/hub/Anxiety-The-Eternal-Struggle

Check it out if you get time

1. Mandy Kei profile image61
      Mandy Keiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The biggest set back, I agree is fear, it can have you standing with a through of reply but no words come out and when you say something it sounded over rehearsed because you hesitated. I too have anxiety problems ever since a child but I find things like Yoga and stretching help and even a little shopping if you're budgeted to do so once in a while and make sure you eat at home before shopping if it's an emotional trip, there can sometimes be no end to needs to fill other voids. A little pampering goes a long way even a massage or getting nails done or listening to calming music with a natural honey mask for 15 minutes will relax you mind and body as well as weight loss if it is an issue.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Lose-Weight-Cleanse

^ Check it out if interested in a new cleanse and diet product

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)