90 percent of Americans eat too much salt: study

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

Only one in 10 Americans keep their salt intake within recommended levels, with the rest overstepping the limits and risking high blood pressure and heart ailments, a CDC report said Thursday.

The Atlanta, Georgia-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found the average daily sodium intake of Americans was 3,466 milligrams, twice as much as recommended in health authorities' guidelines.

Americans in good health are advised to consume less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day, while people with high blood pressure, all middle-age and older adults and all African-Americans should limit their intake to 1,500 milligrams. The CDC study found that only 9.6 percent of the US population fall within the sodium intake guidelines, including 5.5 percent of the group limited to 1,500 milligrams and 18.8 percent of the 2,300 milligrams per day group.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

FTFY

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that sounds plausible, considering there are 2,300 milligrams of salt in just a teaspoon. people eat a lot of processed food, much of which is loaded with salt, so it adds up fast.

a good way to consume less salt is to avoid processed or packaged foods as much as possible, and use very little salt when cooking. oh, and drink lots of water! smile

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi pisean, This is I think due to the type of foods sold in WalMart, salty type of foods and preserved, many preservatives -- and salt is a good preservatives

Plus the way of life is fast, and so the canned foods and preserved foods are the ones consumed

Foods which are considered junks are famous like salty -- chips, sweets -- donuts, chocolates etc
      Still, moderation is good and personal choices and lifestyle plays an important factor in the choice of food

2. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

You can cut salt out of your diet by not adding it to your food only to discover that it is already in a lot of packaged and canned foods to either add taste to the product or as a preservative.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I frankly don't give a rats ass about health authorities guidelines smile

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you know what tastes REALLY good??

dipping a rat's ass in salt!

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the recipe Greek, I'll give it a try as soon as I manage to catch a rat smile

3. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly, Misha!
      None of their damn business what I eat and how much I exercise or anything else for that matter!

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I would have to say that 90% is a bit too much to swallow, considering 13.5% of Americans are homeless.

There is no way for them to claim it is accurate, simply because they cannot even guarantee the numbers of homeless in America is accurate.

Pathetic studies that touch on specific things, what a waste of time. smile

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well u do have point..

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't have trouble with the figure, homeless people don;t generally get to eat a lot of fresh, unprocessed foods.  But I do wonder where you get the 13.5% figure from.  *That* seems a bit off.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am sure it does. lol

1. psycheskinner profile image84

Meaning what?  You made it up?

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...i bet the rate is quite high....many people eat a lot of processed food...canned etc.  and those canned ingredients contain an awful lot of salt.  not sure about how much is in fast food or any food not made with fresh ingredients at home...i do know it is quite high.

6. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

That figure doesn't surprise me at all. There's added salt in all kinds of processed foods and restaurant meals that don't need to have salt added to them. The only way to really control the amount you eat is to cook everything from scratch and ignore the salt recommendations in recipes, which are also almost always too high, especially if any of the other ingredients, like canned chicken broth or soy sauce, contain salt of their own.

7. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

90% of Americans eat too much salt because 90% of Americans eat too much processed food, of which salt is a prime ingredient (as other posters mention). The study result is no surprise.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed Sally. The same could be said for Australians and people living in the UK.

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
        Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rod, you are right, the processed food problem doesn't belong only to Americans, it belongs to any country where food preparation in the home is no longer a priority (or necessity) while business/capitalism/jobs/technology/ or any combination of those are.

I was very surprised to learn recently that canned beans are not commonly available in India, where beans are a staple of the diet of many regions of the country. Canned beans contain added salt. I suppose that lack of availability will change in time, and perhaps in a short time, given India's economic growth, and so too will change the amount of salt Indians consume.

Progress.

2. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And 90% eat too much processed food because some are lazy, some are ignorant and the rest are just too hopelessly stupid to understand that you really are what you eat.

Personally, I love the "Something has to kill you" attitude I hear so often.  Or the amazing ignorance of "Oh these studies are always changing their minds - one day it's good for you, the next  it isn't, I just eat what I want!"

Yeah - and I only had to look at them to know that!

But please, all of you who think food doesn't matter : go right on eating junk.  Gulp down those soft drinks, add all the salt you want, eat empty calories, pack on the pounds and never go near a gym.

It just means Social Security lasts longer for me.

8. RogerAD profile image59
    RogerADposted 13 years ago

Don't think I have ever really been a fan of salt and would certainly fall into the 10% side of things.

I use it in cooking, but this is very moderate and I almost never use it as a supplemental seasoning. Well, except on corn. Gotta have salt on the corn...

9. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

It makes sense to me, since most households work 2 or more jobs and they do not have time to sit down and prepare their meals from scratch or use fresh ingredients.

Most families buy packaged, frozen and canned foods where salt is used as a preservative, even foods that have sugar in them also have salt, not to mention eating out at fast food restaurants, I have seen mothers feed their babies McDonald french fries.

So unless families become organic and grow their own fresh fruits and vegetables the salt consumption will continue to get worse.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

It amazes me how much sodium there is in diet frozen dinners.

I do like salt but I am trying to cut down on it, just for my own health.

11. lovelypaper profile image59
    lovelypaperposted 13 years ago

I would be one of those people who eat too much salt. Salt is good but I do think it's better to reduce your intake a little for health reasons.

12. aware profile image66
    awareposted 13 years ago

can i eat my salt ?   mom cutting meat .

13. livelonger profile image85
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

From what I've read, only 30% of those with high blood pressure should reduce their sodium intake, and that's only 10% of the population.

The other 80% "overconsuming" sodium can continue to do so to their heart's content. smile

1. psycheskinner profile image84

It does have other health implication beyond blood pressure.

14. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

hmmmmm...The SS twist. I hadn't thought about it that way.

We're in trouble with SS here, and the ingestion of salted processed foods (not to mention what other things are in those foods) does change the stats tables (if processed foods are linked to early death) and thus the eventual distribution of SS funds to those who have a healthy diet.

Some politician ought to be designing a campaign around this.

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, and unfortunately, the extra medical care these idiots require more than wipes out the savings we get from them dying early.

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
        Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's a double-edged sword.

15. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

I have very low blood pressure (lowest reading ever was 90/60).  It seems unaffected by anything.  I don't worry about salt.

Even so, I'm cooking about 85% of my meals in-house, and that's a good way to cut down on sodium.  I feel free to use my salt shaker with a free hand, because whatever I use is nothing, compared to the amount of salt in processed foods and restaurant cuisine.

16. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

This is exactly why obesity among adults is soaring in the United States. Salt consumption is a major factor. Of course over eating and not exercising also contributs to obesity as well.

17. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

Even a slice of shop bought bread can have 0.5 grams of salt in, and an adult should only have 6 grams per day. So a sandwich made with two slices of bread will have 1 gram before any filling is added. That's not good, and children are only supposed to have 4 grams, between the ages of 5 and 10.

It is processed foods which are to blame. I have read all about salt intake as I have a young child of two, and babies and young children should have even less. Things like pasta sauce can have almost a gram in quarter of a jar.

Though I would just like to add that my late grandmother put so much salt on top of her meals (it would seem like she was shaking the salt cellar forever!) and she lived to be 97 without health problems.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)