Agave...the new sweetner...

1. SparklingJewel profile image68
    SparklingJewelposted 6 years ago

...well, here's one more to sneak up on your weight and affect your health... … -zone.aspx

1. janmodric profile image87
      janmodricposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The problem with fructose in agave syrup is not only weight gain, but also bloating and diarrhea, when excess of the syrup is taken, since a health person can absorb only about 25-40 grams of fructose by serving, and those (many) with fructose malabsorption can absorb less than 25 g of fructose. Honey, prunes and dried fruits in general, apples and pears are other foods high in fructose. … maps.html.

2. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

Interesting article, thanks. I have had a few friends and family members recommend agave nectar, but I haven't had the desire to try it. I prefer locally made honey, and use about 1-2 tsp a day in coffee or in plain greek yogurt.

I don't think I agree with the author's suggestion that agave is worse than HFCS, at least it isn't chemically engineered.

All I know for certain is that high fructose corn syrup is AWFUL. I easily dropped 5 lbs after eliminating just that from my diet in a month (same number of calories were being consumed, too!!). It is in soooo many things! After eliminating HFCS, all my food cravings for junk food stopped, too. Learning about HFCS is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me, my quality of life is a lot better now!