jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Proper oral hygiene

1. dinkan53 profile image78
    dinkan53posted 6 years ago

I read in an article that proper oral hygiene requires 10 minutes of brushing and flossing every day and in another it is 5 minutes. how much time should an average adult should spend, so that to keep the teeth free of problems.

2. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

Are you going to take the average of all the answers?

3. RedElf profile image84
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

That varies with almost every dentist and hygienist you ask - pick one and stick with it...

4. tjhooper profile image71
    tjhooperposted 6 years ago

I've always been told 2 minutes brushing growing up.

I don't think it really matters, as long as you brush ALL of your teeth on both sides, then floss, then rinse.

Brushing your tongue is important too. Your tongue holds bacteria and that is where most of the bad breath comes from.

1. cosmetic dentists profile image61
      cosmetic dentistsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would say 2 minutes though you are likely to find varying answers on the internet.

I wouldn't recommend brushing your teeth too long though, as this can have a negative effect on teeth and gums and do more damage than good.

Best to do 2 minutes of brushing and combine it with mouthwash and flossing for a complete oral hygiene routine.

1. dinkan53 profile image78
        dinkan53posted 6 years ago in reply to this

hey, lot of mouth washes dries out  mouth, it usually works for about half an hour and the bad breath comes back worse than ever.

5. vydyulashashi profile image61
    vydyulashashiposted 6 years ago

no brushing for a longer duration will cause attrition of your enamel..its purely a misguide for brushing 10 min long..

as all of them don't proper occlusion or similar occlusion the brushing time varies in order to reach all the corners of the mouth with brush..on average you should brush up to 4 minutes..

regarding brushing tips and techniques see my hub

http://hubpages.com/hub/WANT-TO-IMPRESS … FIRST-TALK