jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)

When you speak with your mom-does she still give you advice?

1. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 6 years ago

I still get advice from my mom. I am 48 years old and she still gives unwanted advice. I guess she always will. Do you too have this experience?

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
      BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Shealy, I'm 56  and my mother talks to me sometimes as if 12 again- they never stop worrying and careing about you no matter how old you are.

2. Dolores Monet profile image90
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

Once a mom, always a mom. They can't help it. Count your blessings. My mother used to rearrange my refrigerator contents.

3. CASE1WORKER profile image84
    CASE1WORKERposted 6 years ago

yes advice given freely and i am 50! Mind you I found myself advising my eldest today so perhaps i will end up like my mum- just sit back and enjoy- After my mum has been to stay we have to find everything again!

4. Richieb799 profile image66
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

I like my mums advice, my dad can come across as a nag however, it all depends on what type of person they are

5. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I guess my mom wasn't exactly the advice giving type...or maybe the problem was she didn't exactly communicate with me.  Anyway...now I'm the one giving advice and my adult daughter hates it!  lol  She also doesn't like it that I call her my child.  hmm  My response?  "Well, you're not my adult are you?"

6. kmackey32 profile image82
    kmackey32posted 6 years ago

Everyday and I am 34....

7. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

My mom doesn't give advice. She just loves me. Once in a great while if I ask for it, she'll offer something.

There was huge drama and upset growing up all the time. I love my family because they grew beyond all that. We don't communicate more than once or twice a year. However, when we do communicate or get together, it's with love, acceptance, and happiness. It's a joy to get together.

I never knew I had a great family until I turned 50 (I'm 54). And my mom is a very large part of the reason.

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

no...only if I ask or basically if I want to get a different perspective on something...she's from a very different generation and her personality is very different from mine.  I think she learned a long time ago to be careful with some of her advice to me. smile

She's always there for me however.  And I truly appreciate that!

9. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

I am old enough to have teen aged grand children and yes my mother still has an opinion about everything I do. I would not have it any other way.

10. akirchner profile image95
    akirchnerposted 6 years ago

I have decided it is just part of the 'rules' - sometimes I bite my tongue because I know I'm going to get advice but then on another level, I think it is an indicator that she truly does care about me and love me that she takes so much time to worry and say something.  BTW, I'm going on 57 - and she is 81 - and she obviously still thinks she needs to impart her wisdom.  It is all good and I only hope one day I remember all that she said that was wise or good advice!

11. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 6 years ago

Thank you...thank you....thank you....we are all lucky to have a mum....