jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How do you train your arms with a wrist injury?

1. The Belly Burner profile image61
    The Belly Burnerposted 6 years ago

I've recently just wiped out on my road bike which has resulted in a few stitches and a lot of sore bones (luckily no breaks, but I must have been on the verge). Anywho, the irritating part of this injury was the fact that my left wrist feels bruised, so I can't be lifting dumbells or any manner of heavy weights.

Is it possible to work out your arms without the use of your wrist? I've tried tying my dumbells to my forearms and doing a sort of chicken flap, but it's probably not going to go down too well at the gym. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. warchild75 profile image49
    warchild75posted 6 years ago

To be honest your wrist is the main part of your arm for flexing and rotating so you are going to be very limited as virtually every exercise for arms revolves around movement of the wrist!!

1. The Belly Burner profile image61
      The Belly Burnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I figured as much. I guess I'll use the time to work on my legs and abs then. Maybe try the chicken flap every few days...

1. Ben Evans profile image74
        Ben Evansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There are several things that you can do.  You can do hammer curls if you are working your biceps.  Because your wrist will not flex as much in this position.  You can also use the same position for triceps.  This will work you forearms as well as your lower biceps.

Your wrist help you cheat and lift great amounts of weight.  The hammer curls will work different muscles than you are used to so it will probably be good for you.......As long as your wrist wont hurt in that position.

3. TruthDebater profile image61
    TruthDebaterposted 6 years ago

If you take a break, I don't think it will ruin your chances at being Mr. Universe. If you lift, I suggest wrapping your wrists to limit bending.

4. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

swim with a girl tied to it.