jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

The purpose of meditation

1. snagerries profile image74
    snagerriesposted 6 years ago

In this fast changing world, many people feel so stressful, so they need to reduce it.
    Do you know what is the purpose of meditation?
    If you have learnt this before, what benefits you have gained?
    Lets share your opinion guys?

1. Goodpal profile image89
      Goodpalposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I practice mindfulness meditation called Vipassana meditation. As opposed to meditations where you try concentrating on one object, here you try becoming just an "observer" - an observer of thoughts, feelings, emotions and everything about you.

Benefits? Many...

- feeling focused and centered
      - more relaxed and open
      - less judgmental
      - better perspective of life, relations and everything
      - more compassionate about others' pains

See my recent hub on meditation in prisons. This particular technique is much more than mere meditation just for the sake of it.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

for me meditation is a time to clear my mind of everything and just focus on my breathing and one very positive thought or focus.  I do that other ways too - not just through meditation.  Anything that allows me to just focus on one thing (positive) and forget about everything else.  It gives me a break....the world stops for a bit....it re-energizes me.  I've been doing this for a long time...before I knew what stress really was.

1. snagerries profile image74
      snagerriesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Grat reply my friend.. I think you are right.. It is something which freshens you up and recharge your body...Even i do medidate for sometime and feel a lot better..I am even planning to write a hub on the same..