jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Cardio on a empty stomach: Bad idea!

1. The Future profile image60
    The Futureposted 6 years ago

Since myths in the fitness world have been passed down for many years,you can assume some of it is wrong. One thing most should know is as humans, we are survival machines. Meaning are bodies protect what it needs and sacrifices what it can live without. Muscle is the quickest to break for fuel and fat is the slowest to break down. I will explain some more.

Maintaining muscle burns more calories than most forms of cardio. But for some reason alot of people rely on all forms of cardio for fat loss. But one that is very dangerous is doing cardio on a empty stomach. Since the body's glycogen storage is low at this time,most assume the body uses more fat for fuel.

This is wrong! Remember the body is a survival machine. We are designed to survive if we happened to go along time without any food, Are bodies has stored energy to survive. But muscle is the quickest thing for are bodies to break down and use for fuel and we dont need it to survive so our bodies show no mercy when searching for fuel.

Maybe you have guessed it by now "what does our bodies protect?" BODYFAT! I know this isnt what most want to hear but bodyfat takes longer to break down for fuel, So your body will make shore to store  and protect bodyfat.

What does all this mean? Doing cardio on a empty stomach does a few things. It burns muscle for fuel which maintaining muscle burns ALOT of calories on its own. It does not burn more fat than any other times of the day. Since our bodies dont have food for fuel and it looks right at our muscle. If anything, It is the least effective for fat loss.

Since goal is to increase how much glycogen(energy stores) our bodies can maintain before it uses the rest of our calories to store fat. This can be achieved with proper dieting,weight lifting & cardio(not on a empty stomach).

2. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 6 years ago

This would make a good Hub.

1. The Future profile image60
      The Futureposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How do you make hubs? Im new, I thought that was what I was doing.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

At the top of this page, in green, are the words,

'start a new hub'

Click on these words, follow the directions, click 'publish' when you're done.  smile

btw - Thanks for posting this, it's information I needed to hear. big_smile