jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Recovery from Spinal Tap

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago

Have any of you had a lumbar puncture (more commonly known as a "spinal tap")?  If so, how long did it take you to recover?

I had one last Thursday to treat this 6-month headache I've had, and I'm still feeling really under the weather.  My back isn't sore any more, but movement makes me dizzy and gives me a huge headache.  If I lie still, I feel fine... probably even better than before the procedure (which was the whole goal) but I'm wondering how long these other symptoms will go on.  I've read it can go on up to a week, but I can't wait that long!  They did take about twice as much spinal fluid as they normally do, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, if you have any experience with spinal tap recovery, please share.

1. frogyfish profile image86
      frogyfishposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had a spinal tap many years ago and it took about a week to recover from the headache and feel 'normal'.  I was on bed rest, lots of fluids, no reading. Sounds like the amount of fluid they took at yours helped make your symptoms excessive.  Hope you are well by now!

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Sorry, no experience, but just wanted to send good wishes and hopes to you for a speedy recovery!

Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Aficionada.  If it helps the original 6-month constant headache, a week of unpleasantness is worth it.  We're crossing our fingers.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have everything crossed also. No experience either - 'cept the band. big_smile

3. 0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

In my old country spinal tap was a diagnostic, not therapeutic procedure. it was considered dangerous and performed only when it was absolutely necessary. I know for a fact that in North America doctors are very skillful and ready to perform unnecesary complex procedures without considering and trying a slowler and less invasive procedure. I don't want to sound like an old crow. I hope, Maddie, that in your case it was necessary and justifiable and I wish you fast recovery with all my heart!

Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In my case, it was both diagnostic and (hopefully) therapeutic.  We absolutely explored all other options first.  Don't worry, I'm not the type to jump into such a procedure without a lot of hesitation.

4. 0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

Sometimes even old fashioned bleeding could help. When you do someting to your body, you force it into "repairs" so to say. It will recover faster.

5. lakeerieartists profile image79
    lakeerieartistsposted 6 years ago

No experience here either, but a week is not really that long to recover from such an invasive procedure.  I hope that it was well worth it for you.  Crossing everything here as well for you.  smile

6. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

No experience either, but my thoughts are with you.  Hope you have some one there to take care of you smile

7. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 6 years ago

I had one with my first baby delivery - it took about 10 days to feel better, but then I wasn't sure how much of it was the spinal and how much the delivery.   Now, I would refuse it I think, but then they had me strapped down to a fetal monitor (which prolonged the labor etc.) they don't do that so much anymore I think, and I was in a lot of pain - I wouldn't have approved it but they convinced me.  I think its going to be found to be a temporary remedy for things like headaches and they'll see how unneccessary it is - and what do they do with all the fluid they get? - I remember them very carefully taking it away like it was gold, and I just bet it is, in a way!  So sorry to be a damp noodle, but when I see the words spinal tap, I go berserk a little! (can I go "a little" berserk?)

You'll feel better soon, taking it easy is probably going to help the headaches too!

8. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Ouch, really hope you start to feel better soon, where would Hubpages be without our favorite moderator tongue

9. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I have had two spinal taps for diagnostic purposes. I don't remember having any prolonged recovery period. Although, I have to admit I had other health problems at the time.

Speedy recovery!

10. Richieb799 profile image67
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

I know there is a heavy metal band called Spinal Tap, I thought you'd been to a gig and were recovering from moshing!