jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

turkey mites

1. Gabriel Wilson profile image87
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 6 years ago

I'm feeling a little freaked out right now. A visit to see my friends two turkeys has left me itching like mad. I told another friend and they laughed and said I had turkey mites. I googled turkey mites or tics and frankly the info I got has scared the hell out of me. Can anyone help with a little info...before I go screaming to my doctor and end up looking a real wally...thanks in advance

1. Greek One profile image78
      Greek Oneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

just out of curiousity, why would you go visit a friend's turkeys?

Gabriel Wilsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, he bought from chicks and now they're about 5 months, he said they were very friendly and so I went to see them. They are white with red heads_I like animals and birds_curious I guess_

well if he is not itching (and I would presume he is around them more than you), then why wouldnt he have the same symptoms if in fact the itching is caused by the turkeys?

I asked him and he came over_he said he had been bitten in the last few days, but thought it was a type of fly. The thing is I've found one or two on my arms and they're like a tiny freckle. I looked it up on google, google said that's what a mite looked like_but then the advice went from them getting into your blood and crazy stuff so I didn't read any more_plus I am covered in sore red bites!

always safe to
              1) Not panic
              2) Go to the doctor if you are concerned

Tanx for the chat_and you're right in the right order. I just wish I could get a little info. Anyway cheers.

working