jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Weening Yourself off Nicotine

1. 0
    Twenty One Daysposted 6 years ago

So, without the assist of patches, pills, praetorian or self hypnotic mind tricks, I was able to ween myself off of nicotine in less than 48 hours. Here what to do when you decide to:

DAY ONE (6 cigarettes):
    1.  6:00am
    2.  7:00am
    3.  9:00am
    4. 12:00pm
    5.  4:00pm
    6.  9:00pm

DAY TWO: (2 cigarettes)
    7.  3:00am      x-sleeping
    8. 10:00am     1 cig
    9.  6:00pm      1 cig
    10. 3:00am      x-sleeping

DAY THREE: (1 cigarette)
    11. 1:00pm      1 cig
    12. 12:00am     x-sleeping (for me, I had stopped here)*

You'll notice it is set to hourly increments 1-12.
    Pretty much after this, you really should be passed the craving and anxiety of holding that cigarette in your hand. I am not saying it will work for everyone, but it is a gradual method to fully stopping. By day eight, the time line is extended to where you do not smoke for an entire 24 hours. After 20 years, it's nice to breath in just a little bit more fresher air. hope it helps. James.

1. Rishy Rich profile image80
      Rishy Richposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the tips. Looks like a very effective method! Btw, can I take a month long break after day one? smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good for you. I quit cold turkey last year after 35 years and it was hell. The anxiety and cravings (plus being ill) lasted some months. Weeks 6-8ish were the worst. Feel great now though. big_smile

Congratulations for making the decision. That is the tough bit.

1. 0
        Twenty One Daysposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, buddy.
        It was really easy actually. I just started spacing out the time line and poof the craving was practically gone. It still lingers in my head, but I just ignore it. Someone said it would take 3 months for my lungs to clean out, so am not looking forward to the coughing jags...lol

2. ross670daw profile image78
        ross670dawposted 6 years ago in reply to this

35 years is about how long I've smoked for.  It must have been very difficult for you by the sound of it, I'm glad you were able to conquer it.

2. ross670daw profile image78
    ross670dawposted 6 years ago

I hope you can go the distance and quit for good, I know it's hard, I have tried a few times with the help of patches and also tried Champix, and cold turkey. Longest I was able to stay off was 2 months. More will power I think. Keep on track mate, you'll make it.

3. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 6 years ago

I am glad that you are free of nicotine. We should all do it! However for me the only effective way for quit smoking was to stop suddenly. But whatever the method the important thing is to stop!