jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

West Virginia is the most Medicated state in America

1. IntimatEvolution profile image82
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

Just in;
    Forbes has listed West Virginia as the most medicated state in America.  There are several southern states in the top 10 list.  What do you think that says about the South?  What does that say about West Virginia?  I mean, my god it beat out New York, Pennsylvania, and California for pete-sake.  Not to mention Utah with all those Mormon mothers taking depression medication along with Xanax.

Gee-wiz West Virginia, what's your deal?

http://www.theredheadedpharmacist.com/?p=1305

I discovered this article on RedGage.com.

2. 0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

HAHAHA... Why am I not surprised?!

3. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

WVU?

IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, I wouldn't think so.  Their campus is about as populated as one square mile of lower Manhattan.  So no, I don't think so.

1. ediggity profile image59
        ediggityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I just meant their constant losing record might be causing depression.

1. Cagsil profile image60
          Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It probably isn't doing any good for morale. lol

2. IntimatEvolution profile image82

Oh!lollollol

4. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Maybe they looked around and saw that, despite what John Denver sang, West Virginia is NOT almost heaven.
    So they need some artificialmood brighteners to feel better about their state!

I had thought WVA was abig meth state. Guess FORBES didn't measure for non-prescription drugs!

5. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

well, one third of their population is considered obese and that brings a lot of medical problems. remember the show with Jamie Oliver trying to change their school lunch programs?

Well I was still really surprised.  Mostly surprised to see so many southern states.  Must be rough living down south, or there must be a lot of will doctors writing prescriptions for an added price.  That could be a possibility.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

The demographic profile of WV speaks a lot about it.. majority of the population are students which are into drugs and old people -- aging pop comparing to other states -- retirees, almost half a million have disabilities too.

7. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Obesity and smoking -- both lead to prescription meds to control resultant conditions.
    I don't think I saw that Jamie Oliver show, athough it sounds like a great idea! And Jamie Oliver is da bomb!

1. rebekahELLE profile image90
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

it was aired in the US during the past winter season. I think it's airing now in the UK.

it's the food revolution http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/ja … revolution

yea, he's adorable. he has some great cook books.

working