Do you care about fat?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (32 posts)
  1. purpleangel47 profile image61
    purpleangel47posted 13 years ago

With all the weight-loss pills, drinks, DVDs, classes, news articles, pictures, television shows and books, still the nation is struggling to lose fat. Could it be that we just don't care how much fat is in the food we eat?

2. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I live in China and here fat Chinese people are rare - If you want to find some they will be in McDonald's, KFC and Pizza Hut - go figure big_smile

The other place you can find fat people is in the town cente which is a popular foreign tourist spot. I used to spot 'foreigners' because they poked up out of the relatively shorter crowd - now it is because of the vast amount of room they take up. With size magnified, relative to the slim people around them, they look HUGE - but then I never look at myself, and I have lost 30 pounds since I got here 5 years ago.

purpleangel47posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now how ironic is that! I don't know that I've ever seen an overweight Chinese person in this country. Funny (or perhaps frightening) to think that in their own country, they'd risk their health to live as we do - looking for fat in all the wrong places. smile

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I think that way too many people don't care, or don't understand. I think even more make the very unfounded argument that it's "too expensive to eat healthy foods."

As I'm sure you know, one pound of fat is 3,500 calories. So you need to eat 500 calories less per day or burn them off through physical activity to lose a solid pound of fat per week.

Instead of heading for the fad diets, if someone just took a brisk one-hour walk per day (238 calories burned), substituted water for that soda (roughly 150 calories saved) and ate a turkey burger instead of heading for the Golden Arches (roughly 200 calories saved), they would lose one pound per week. And in that scenario, they've actually saved money. smile

You're right lrohner .... and it's frustrating to me which is why I posted the question.
      People overlook fat. I will hear people say they're gonna cut back on salt and on sweets, but rarely  fat.
      Unless you've been psyched to think that your meals need alfalfa sprouts, tofu, and the most expensive ingredients in a health food store, you can eat a fairly healthy diet from the cheapest grocery store in your neighborhood. Just fight the fat! smile

2. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find it very ironic that people claim it is "too expensive to eat healthy foods."

My husband and I ate the healthiest we have ever eaten when we were completely broke, because cooking from scratch was the cheapest way to go.  We ate lots of whole grains and vegetables.   It was the best way to get full and feel satisfied.

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Lean Meat is Far Better for you in More Ways than One!

I think there is Nothing on Earth more Unsightly Than the 6 Pack of a morbidly obese person who by choice pigged out on 'fat foods' and ignored the concept of being able to wipe their own backside! sad  hmm

I have as much compassion for such people, as they have for the hunger of the world! hmm

In my veiw many of them are extremely selfish people who have little regard for the cost of their folly.. especially when it comes to the tying up of medical facilities that others must wait for.

If that makes me callous in any regard.. so be it... but ask yourself:
    If by choice you choose not to clean yourself... and expect others to do it for you... then what good are you to this world? hmm

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Callous, maybe.  Grossly fat people eat because no-one loves them in my opinion,  food is always there, never lets you down and runs of with the plumber, and always satisfies even when it is limp and soggy.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So you are suggesting that they also suffer head problems? hmm
        If that's the case.. then there is a possibility that all those 'food additives' that abound today hold some bearing on the ever increasing growth in head cases (along with obesity cases)? hmm
        A bit of a Hand - Mouth Problem then hmm

Yes I do - I think food addiction is a head problem, sometimes passed from parent to child like the desease of religion.

I also think that the food additives are to blame for the increase in cancers and many other deseases that were rare in the past.

2. purpleangel47 profile image61

Grossly fat people not only sub food for love; try loss of loved one, low-self esteem, or how about just because they are foodies who equate food with happiness?

I am sure they are all the above - and some are as Pearldiver put it - just greedy to excess.

So you're saying Pearldiver that you think people grossly overeat by choice ... so they don't have to clean themselves? A concept I hadn't thought of .... Personally I think that's highly unlikely with most people, but since I have no way of knowing everybody in the world .....

5. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

It's not meat or any of the rest of the crap being spewed out there. It's corn syrup. Period.  But nobody is paying attention.  And everyone ignores a redneck ranch kid like me when I try to point it out.  So, yeah.

you forgot whatever powder it is they get from processing milk that they add to all the junk foods - that many people are intolerant to - lactose is it, Crones desease is often caused by it among widespread stomach discomforts etc.

Corn syrup is definitely a problem - you can find it in just about any ingredient list - but fat ranks right up there .....

3. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's why i switched to maple syrup!

4. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It can' tjust be corn syrup. We don't have it in the UK, and the population's getting fatter here, too.

1. Aya Katz profile image82
        Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have they bought into the myth that dietary fat will make you fat? Because that is one of the biggest culprits in the US.

6. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I'm very particular about what goes into my mouth.  Every morsel of food that I intake or give to my children, is not prepackaged, preserved, salted, pickled, laced with addititives (including corn syrup, MSG, artificial sweeteners, etc.)  I also ensure that we are all phsyically active throughout the week.  Food is not the only reason for obesity.  Lack of physical exercise and mental health are two other reasons.

7. willtiti88 profile image54
    willtiti88posted 13 years ago

You only need 3 things to lose fat: strength training, healthy nutrition  & cardio. This post will give you a simple, efficient fat loss plan so you can get your body fat to dream numbers while still have a life & eat normally.

1. Tea M profile image61
      Tea Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Correct!
      Lean meat, fish and low-fat diary products (less then 4% far) is all the fat your body needs.

You can't lose fat, if you eat fat smile

Pure protein diet, such as the Dukan Diet is the best for trimming body fat. it worked for me.

8. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

before few months i did'nt care about my fat, and i got more and more healthy (sophisticatedly big_smile)
    Then i started my so called FAT TUNE UP Program, then I started losing my weight. and now I am okay with my physique.

1. willtiti88 profile image54
      willtiti88posted 13 years agoin reply to this

May be you are right. But i am not aware of it so much. Thanks.

9. willtiti88 profile image54
    willtiti88posted 13 years ago

Did you loose fat after that?

10. fooduciary profile image61
    fooduciaryposted 13 years ago

Fat is definitely not the issue. It's been a long time since I've worried about fat grams. For some reason people get scared of nuts, avocadoes and coconuts because they're so high in fat. Think about what your brain is made of. The "eating fat makes you fat" hypothesis has more damage to our healthy than we've yet realized. Look at margarine for example. It was invented to replace the natural fat found in butter. Surprise...hyrogenated oils cause heart disease and cancer! (I'm no fan of butter or dairy in general either.)

Eating heavily processed food with frankenstein ingredients, loading up on sugar (and it's alternatives - hello corn syrup), and having meat at every single meal is what needs to be avoided.

Fat from natural, whole foods = good.

11. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Methinks Pearldiver has met my ex wink

At any rate...I don't think people do think about the fat at all. I agree that fat intake alone certainly isn't the only problem with the average diet in the US and similar countries, but it is definitely a big one. For my entire life I've had issues with food, because every time I ate it made me sick. I couldn't figure out the problem for many, many years...and it turns out that I'm very sensitive to animal-based fats and excess grease. I'm certainly far from a vegetarian, but my husband goes out of his way to remove every last bit of extra fat off of any meat he prepares and drain any possible grease out of the food he makes -- and I haven't gotten sick from eating anything in two years now, and in the two years prior to my current pregnancy I'd lost almost 50 pounds. Now that I look back on the food my mom made and the junk my ex insisted on keeping in the house, it's no wonder to me that I've always been accused of being a picky eater...I really can't fathom how I ever kept ANY of it down!

As for being too expensive to eat healthy...all I can say is if we can do it, anyone can. I think the biggest problem is more that many people are too lazy to eat healthy -- healthy pre-packaged foods are significantly more expensive than unhealthy ones. We eat a lot of produce of all sorts, and substitute turkey for most things that would usually be beef or pork. Turkey is about the only store-bought meat we eat, other than that it's a lot of bison and wild game, which might not be a cost-effective option in many areas, but is certainly comparable in price to beef or pork if you compare the weight of the meat only rather than all the fat in the latter two. We live on a very low income and average about $100 a month for food, yet we always manage to have some very delicious, filling meals that can't get much healthier...but a microwave never factors into the preparation equation.

12. fooduciary profile image61
    fooduciaryposted 13 years ago

I think every person and their body is different, so I try not to judge others based on their appearance of weight or fat.  My wish is for each person to enjoy health and well-being.

As for myself and trying to be healthy, I care about the types of fat I eat, not the amount. 

If science helped create the fat, I don't eat it (e.g. hydrogenated oils, margarine, etc). 

But I eat avacadoes and nuts and cook with organic, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, macadamia nut oil, and coconut oil all day long. 

I highly recommend focusing on QUALITY of calories (and fat) consumed, NOT quantity.

13. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Eating it, or wearing it? 

I'm not horribly guilty about eating a lot of fat; but there are a couple of things I could do better on (cream in my coffee, for example).  I do find that cream in the coffee tends to be quite the "tranquilizer" when I'm frazzled.  lol

As far as whether I care about how much of it I do or don't wear around goes, I care a whole lot about that.   smile  I think most people do.

14. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Yes I do care about fat.
    Most people trying to lose weight cut out fat, when they should be increasing healthy, essential fats. They load up on carbs, don't eat enough protein and wonder why they feel fatigued, bloated, and soft.

Cut back on carbs significantly to those of low glycemic index, once or twice a day, add in more healthy fats and proteins. Make sure your water intake is enough.

All that said, it takes at least 6 months to a year to make diet modifications that stay with you for life. And every time I'm in the gym and see a new person struggling and it's obvious they have doubts that they'll ever get where they hope to be, I eventually comment to them that I admire their determination. Support is a huge bonus in winning the battle of how we feel about our bodies. I know because I've been there.

15. provisionsforheal profile image60
    provisionsforhealposted 13 years ago

Yes, I am trying to stay fit.
    And I have my own method.

16. profile image53
    promiteckposted 13 years ago

This slimming option is not only effective for women but for men too. This slimming formula actually shows its positive effects by triggering the fat-burning process and metabolic rate in the human body.
    http://www.healthproductreviewers.com/w … -java.html

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)