jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Cornell Study: Many Too Fat to Serve in Military

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

Cornell Study: Many Too Fat to Serve in Military
    Posted by David W Freeman

(CBS) There's a new threat to America's national security, and it has nothing to do with terrorism or rogue states.

It's our fat, out-of-shape young people.

According to a new study, conducted by researchers at Cornell University, a growing number of potential military recruits are simply too fat too enlist.

The percentage of military-age men whose bodies exceed the Army's enlistment standards for body fat has doubled over the past 50 years, the study found. Among military-age women, the percentage has more than tripled.

All told, 5.7 million American men and 16.5 American women of military age were ineligible for duty in 2007 and 2008 because they were overweight or obese, the study showed.
    continued..

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- … 91704.html

1. Ironracer profile image72
      Ironracerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think the movie Food Matters does a great job putting this in perspective - one of the men interviewed in the movie says that one of the best things terrorists can do is build more fast food restaurants in America!  The American diet is slowly killing us.  Children's lifespans are now shorter than parent's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4DOQ6Xhqss

2. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I believe it, look around, they're everywhere. fast food and sitting around in front of screens. I've never been overweight, so I don't understand the thinking of parents who allow their kids to get fatter and fatter. maybe the overweight parents don't care or feel helpless?
    it would be an interesting study for a hub.

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 6 years ago in reply to this

it would be one way to avoid any military draft...that's for sure..

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I used to study at Cornell. I wasn't a student, but I used to sit down by the Clocktower and study Cayuga Lake.

Maybe they should have DADT

3. I am DB Cooper profile image68
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

Back in my day people stopped showering for a month and soiled their pants to get out of military service. I guess now you just have to hang out at McDonald's for a month.

Kissing your sergeant still works! Even cheaper than a Happy Meal

4. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Right. But they've no use for these fine specimens:

http://daily.gay.com/.a/6a01156e9cba4c970c0134812e8aa5970c-320wi

5. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 6 years ago

While this may be true at times... when I enlisted there were a few, very over-weight people! They are allowed to enlist but have to work it off during basic training(boot camp). If they don't get it off... they have to go to "fat camp" until they get it off... then do basic training all over again! And nobody ever wants to do basic training over...it's a one time thing!!!

They had a targeted weight and their food was different than the rest of the privates.

working