live kidney donation

1. Gypsysilk profile image59
    Gypsysilkposted 6 years ago

Live Kidney Donation76
    rate or flag this pageTweet thisBy Gypsysilk

Being told for the first time that my sister was in need of a kidney was devastating to say the least ,we,my brother and I sat in her room that Sunday as she gave us the news ,straight away my brother offered his kidney ,I was still in shock just recently recovering from a stomach operation myself ,I was not sure if they would allow me to donate ,so I stayed silent ,as much as i wanted to offer I was not sure if I could .We both wanted to know what the next step was and through her tears my sister told us that we had to get in touch with the Sorby wing of Sheffield Northen General hospital .

After a few weeks ,we receieved a dvd to watch and were told to discuse everything with our family ,my children were dead against it ,they did not want me to do it ,but its my sister !!! I kept telling them and i wanted to go ahead ,but as my sisters illeness was hereditary ,my brother and I both had to get tested to see if we also had any signs of the disease ,my brother went first and he was clear ,i had to wait until my stitches had cleared up and was healing well before they sent for me .On the day they did I was told I had to have something to drink two  hours before  the scan ,and not go to the toilet ,which is hard for me because i am always running to the loo ,luckily as soon as i got to the hospital for the scan they shouted me straight in ,the nurse scanned me ,after admiring the stitches saying the surgeon had done a good job ,I am thinking hurry up i need the loo ,as quick as she had started she had finished and told me i could go to the toilet ,but i had to go straight back to be scanned again ,then when it was over she told me straight away that i did not have poly cysistic kidneys

1. Gypsysilk profile image59
      Gypsysilkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

luckily as soon as i got to the hospital for the scan they shouted me straight in ,the nurse scanned me ,after admiring the stitches saying the surgeon had done a good job ,I am thinking hurry up i need the loo ,as quick as she had started she had finished and told me i could go to the toilet ,but i had to go straight back to be scanned again ,then when it was over she told me straight away that i did not have poly cysistic kidneys <i was clear to donate !!! I felt so happy that i would be able to donate but now all the other teats had to come .This is the first part of my journey into kidney donation ,do you want to hear the rest ?

working