How is drinking water good for you.

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (40 posts)
  1. countrysidetours profile image58
    countrysidetoursposted 13 years ago

Not too long ago I started drinking 20 oz of water as soon as I get up. I dont know why but after that I have to deplete the 20 oz. It sure feels like a flush

1. qwark profile image62
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I drink nothing but bottled, DISTILLED water....PURE WATER.
      I began drinking it about 45 yrs ago.
      The body doesn't have to do anything to it, but use it. It is a wonderful cleanser.
      I take my minerals in food and supplements.
      I have been a swimmer and powerlifter since my teens.
      I don't get colds, I've never been seriously sick, my blood pressure, on average, is 115/68, my pulse rate at rest is 60.
      I'm way over 60 and I still compete in the gym, with kids less than half my age.
      I would never drink tap water.
      Distilled water is perfect water.

2. b. Malin profile image67
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

Sounds like a lot of water all at once...why not try an eight ounce glass and carry a water bottle  during the day.  Water is good for your system and your skin.  You need a certain amount so you don't get dehighdrated.  However, too much water can kill you...so (pardon the pun) don't go overboard!

3. couturepopcafe profile image59
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

You know the body is comprised of about 70% water (I think, I know the number is high) and the brain is comprised of about 60% water (again, not sure of the exact percentage, am just trying to go off memory).  Water is vital to every function in the body from bowel movements to cell hydration.  But the bladder can only hold a certain amount of water.  If you drink too much at one time, you don't give the body time to assimilate and absorb it so it is released, passing right through.  Doesn't do you much good if it's not absorbed first.

4. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

Couture, succinct and correct to the last. Nothing to add here.

5. Craan profile image79
    Craanposted 13 years ago

Water is the most essential nutrient you can drink. Every cell membrane in the human body is composed of water. It regulates the nutrients going into and out of every cell along with making all organs work more efficiently. A person can't survive more than three days without water! Water is the essence of what life is made of.

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Water helps you in alot of ways. What qwark said was excellent. I'm not familiar w/ distilled water but our water here is good. Bottled water is pretty much tap in a bottle, it's a scam.
    Unless you live where it's dirty or yellow...hmm

So water is much better for your body than soda or other things. of course milk and some juice etc is good.

But water cleanses the toxins out of your body, also your body sweats esp while working out and you need to replenish.

Water is the purest drink you can drink. You should have several glasses a day...to quech your thirst and help your body to digest.......

We are in a sac of water in our mothers, and swimming is very relaxing

I'd like to have a water drinking contest, I get very thirsty, see who can drink the fastest like a litre. big_smile

Yes,,water......soo good esp when cold
    If you hate it drink it anyways
    also my acquaintance only drinks diet soday all day everyday, can you imagine how sick that is? He pees every 20 mins,,,must have something to do w/ it. UGGG!!!

7. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

"How is drinking water good for you?"

Drinking water helps regulate your body temperature. It helps transport oxygen through your cells.  It helps remove toxins and waste from you body. It helps you keep hydrated after strenuous work and exercise. And since it helps keep you hydrated it protects and moisturizes your skin, keeping it from getting dried and flaky.

8. gracenotes profile image87
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

In my experience, the spine will not function at its best unless you are well hydrated.

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Like any substance, you can drink too much water--especially if it is distilled water.  But most people will never get close to drinking enough to throw off their osmotic balance.

1. qwark profile image62

Psyche:
      True you can drink too much water.
      Why do you say: "...--especially if it is distilled water.?"
      Water is water.

10. psycheskinner profile image84

Water without dissolved minerals and solids creates a greater difference in osmotic pressure across the gut lining. So it would take a lesser, but still huge, volume of normal tap water to mess up the gut.

1. qwark profile image62

Psyche:
      Malarky!  :-)
      The body does not have to process distilled water.
      Impurities do not have to be removed and processed.
      The kidneys do not have to clean it.
      It does the same thing all water does when ingested, but does it with less stress to the system.
      My body chemistry Dr is a chemical biologist. A "Fellow of American Biochemists."
      He is the one who suggested, many, many years ago that I use distilled water.
      Where are you getting this misinformation?
      Qwark

1. livewithrichard profile image72
        livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Qwark, are you relying on information you were given 45 years ago? smile Good it's still reliable...

The way I'm reading this, you are both correct.  Distilled water is better for body metabolism as there are less substances that need cleansing.

Osmosis is how water travels between cells and the osmotic pressure is the required pressure to stop the flow of water across a cell layer or membrane. Impurities in tap water will effect the osmotic pressure and decrease metabolism.

I don't know about "messing up the gut" but I do know that drinking too much water, distilled or otherwise, can cause severe cell damage and even result in water poisoning, or intoxication.

1. qwark profile image62

Richard:
          Yep, I'm living with info that will be true as long as there's water on this earth and humans to consume it.
          You definitely can drink too much water.
          I understood osmosis 50 yrs ago in my hi school biology class...lol

qwark

1. brakel2 profile image73
            brakel2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I heard that you should drink half your weight in water. Water helps my entire body. It makes my hair better, my skin smooth, and I know that it helps the organs in the body. I drink half of my water from the tap, and half from bottled water. I used to drink mucho diet and regular coke, and have stopped that bad habit. I love water. It loves me.

11. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

smile LOL I'm sure.  The science lesson was for others that may read it.

12. psycheskinner profile image84

What part of what I said is malarky?  I'd be happy to discuss it on a factual basis.  But if you just want to wave degrees about I have a PhD too.

Water that is distilled moves into the body more rapidly, but not by much as normal water still only has an osmolality of about 30 (vs. 0).  So a toxic effect will occur a bit quicker with distilled water.

But, as I said, you'd have to drink crazy amounts for that to happen.  Generally it only occur in cases of massive dehydration and then massive intake--for example with heavily exercised horses.

1. qwark profile image62

Psyche:
      Your quote:

"Like any substance, you can drink too much water--especially if it is distilled water."

The "--especially if it is distilled water." is the malarky part.

Regardless of whether it's distilled or tap, you can drink too much water.

Water is water.
      PS ...by the way "Doc," what is "...normal water?"

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I heard someone died by a water contest
        they may have drunk several gallons......hmm

13. Jaggedfrost profile image61

lol If you can drink enough water so as to be deemed too much by any man and not lose water in the same fashion as gentlemen do not speak then perhaps it is true but few I know capable of that.  The worst I heard was men who managed to get drunk before they ended up locked in their bathroom for time out of hand.

14. psycheskinner profile image84

Well I explained that.  The lower the osmolality of the water the quicker you will get water toxicity because the water infiltrated the body more rapidly.  Pure distilled water has an osmolality of 0, so a toxic dose would be slightly lower than tap water which as an osmolality of about 30 (the body fluids having an osmolality of about 280).

So, can you be more specific about what part of that you feel is untrue?

1. qwark profile image62

Hahaha..Forget it Doc.
      Not worthy of comment.
      But Ty.
      You are right, ya can drink too much water.
      Qwark   :-)

15. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I am bad maybe drink one glass of water a day.....gulp.

16. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Reverse osmosis water is the purest water you can purchase or have on tap.

Drinking 20 oz of water first thing in the morning will help cleanse your system of toxins that have built up overnight.  Contrary to belief, the water is absorbed, almost immediately.  It helps your internal organs to clean themselves from toxic build up throughout the day.  Water does not take energy to process.  Sugar, carbs, proteins, etc. require energy from your body to process and body includes internal organs.  The more pure water you can provide your body, the more efficient it becomes eliminating wastes that are byproducts of ingestion, regulatory affairs within the body system, breathing and so forth.

There are numerous studies conducted on water consumption, the rate of consumption and the TYPE of water.  Tap water is fine, but not recommended for high volumes of drinking.  The additives that are found, plus the presence of bacteria/viruses, are not desirable in keeping your body healthy.  Distilled water is not recommended as the distillation process removes certain molecules that are required.  Also, the technique of distillation is important because it can cause health issues.  I believe that silver must be added to distilled water or silver must be included during the process of distillation.  Over time, ingestion of high volumes of water can have a negative impact.

Reverse osmosis water is the most desirable as the water is filtered through a membrane which consists of variable sizes of holes.  Depending on how pure you want the water, the membrane can filter molecules that larger in size, like chlorine, fluoride, to smaller in size, like bacteria and viruses.  This water is so pure that hospitals use it in OR theatres for washing.  RO water retains the composition of the whole water molecule without changing it, that is why it is the purest form of water you can buy or have on tap.  On tap would require a reverse osmosis unit.

I have a RO unit and a UV filter (habit from drawing on the country well).  I consume between 4-6 litres of water a day and have no adverse affects and is a regime that I have in place for the past 17 years.  smile

Eating and drinking the proper foods and liquids cannot do harm to your body if you have a rounded diet and a healthy lifestyle.

17. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

BTW, water toxicity will occur if one drinks a large volume of water in a short amount of time.  It will not matter the type of water, just the fact that one is drinking a volume that is abnormally high in a few minutes. 

People can die from water intoxication.  If you look at the precedents for this, the majority of casualties are ones who are in water drinking contests.  Again, HUGE volumes, short period of time, and continuation of drinking after an initial drinking binge.  Also, there is not release of the water  via sweat or urine.

Drinking 20 oz or 0.5 L in the morning is not enough to cause one to become ill from water intoxication.

1. qwark profile image62

Beth:
      Water cleaned by osmosis is not, by a long shot, the purest water available.
      Go to Walmart and buy "distilled" water for about $.89 a gallon.
      The "purest" water available to man or beast.   :-)

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have  never seen distilled water at Walmart and no water at that price.  I have seen the large jugs but they are RO water jugs.  RO water is pure water.

1. qwark profile image62

Beth:
          I've never been to a Walmart that doesn't carry "distilled" water for $.89 or less a gallon.
          Distilled water is PURE H2O! There is no water purer.

18. Jaggedfrost profile image61

too bad you all haven't had access to watter from an underwater aquifer via a private well as it would seem.  Beats anything I have ever found to drink.

1. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

had the same when I lived in the mountains -- further up the chain from all the man made things.  Cold, refreshing!

19. Jaggedfrost profile image61

hehe made of pure energy and basic existence.  Give him half a minute and he will tell you that for 89 cents he can buy a gallon of his fellows who have become interminable liquid.

20. qwark profile image62
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Jagged frost has just made my list of those who have nothing cridible to offer and therefore, from this point hence will be ignored.
    Click...
    There, done.......:-)

21. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

I read something that said if one eats plenty of water based plant foods they don't need as much water to drink each day.

1. Tea M profile image58
      Tea Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's true that when counting your daily water intake, you should also consider water which you consume from food; namely from vegetables and fruits.

Tea, coffee and juice etc  also increase your daily intake.

22. profile image0
    timonwellerposted 13 years ago

In response to those talking about drinking too much water..

One thing to ponder are those that can drink a whole carton or a 6 pack of beer within a few hours or over a night time? Add that up, that's a lot of water.. What's everyone think on that one, is that too much water? smile

23. fooduciary profile image61
    fooduciaryposted 13 years ago

In regards to having the water seem to go right through you: not long ago I found myself drinking lots of water (because I agree it does so much good for your body), but it would seem to go right through me, too. 

I had a fluid distribution analysis done and found that my intercellular fluids were low while my extracellular fluids were really high.  Long story short, I wasn't really absorbing much of the water and electrolytes took care of that right away. 

I'm a bit of a whole foodist, so I go with coconut water for electrolytes.  I also found a powder you add to your water I would recommend if you can't do coconut water.  The brand is "Ultima" (called Ultima Replenesher). 

I really hope you're able to get optimal water intake and have it make a great difference to your health.

24. mecheil profile image60
    mecheilposted 13 years ago

Water is good for the body in many ways, but too much of it can give uneasy feeling. It happens to me when I drink 3 to four glasses at once, even after a real dehydrating activity. I think the reason for it is that the stomach itself cannot hold 20 ounces of water all at the same time, especially if it's not used to being excessively full. But as to clinical explanations of too much water's effects to the body, that I don't know.

Anyways, you can lessen the amount of water intake to 2 glasses, and just bring with you a bottle of water, so you can have it whenever you want to. But keep the amount of water you drink a little low. Let your body excrete the excess water first before taking in another 1 or 2 glasses. When you're sweating a lot, you may need to increase your water intake.

25. Right On Time profile image61
    Right On Timeposted 13 years ago

passes the toxic substances through your body more I think...cleansing

26. guy1973 profile image55
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

water is good for the body, our body is made of 90% of water. water is a transportation medium, and for detoxification.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)