jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Kids of divorce have double the risk of stroke

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Study suggests link between childhood stress and adult health
    By Karen Rowan
    updated 11/22/2010 11:01:31 AM ET 2010-11-22T16:01:31

Children whose parents divorce are more than twice as likely to suffer a stroke at some point during their lives than other children, according to a new study.

The link between the two held even when the researchers accounted for other known stroke risk factors, such as obesity, smoking and diabetes. It is the first time such a link has been shown, the researchers said.

The study may shed light on the impact such events, and the stress of childhood, have on adult health, said study researcher Esme Fuller-Thomson, a professor of social work, medicine and nursing at the University of Toronto. The ways in which divorce and stroke risk may be linked should be further investigated, she said.

To be sure, the study does not conclude that children of divorce are destined to suffer strokes, Fuller-Thomson said.

The findings are based on a survey of more than 13,000 people living in Canada who took part in the 2005 Canadian Health Survey.

Because most strokes occur in people over age 65, Fuller-Thomson said, most of the respondents who had suffered a stroke would have been born in 1940 or earlier. Divorce was rarer at that time, and "the context and consequences of parental divorce in the 1940s or 1950s was probably very different from a child's experience of divorce now, she said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40316017/ns … _parenting
    wow, what about the kids who suffered through the parents constant fighting...
    that should cause some major health conditions later on...

2. b. Malin profile image59
    b. Malinposted 5 years ago

Hopefully this study wasn't done with TAX PAYERS Money...Maybe Canadians are more stressed, than their American counterparts.  We are a stressed society.  Divorced parents or not.  Yes, obesity, smoking and diabetes would be the real culprit!

3. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Kids of divorce have double the risk of stroke?

And what moron funded such a pathetic test or study?

A divorce isn't going to weigh as much as the rest of the other things kids already stress out over. And, for someone to insinuate such a link exists is foolish, and obvious a part of the "Let's doing it for the children", type mentality, which is ineptitude at it's greatest. hmm

4. Jaggedfrost profile image87
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

hmm I take it Malin, this one hit you personally.  I agree though.  Any such study would have to do much to prove their claim.  so much In fact that it would seem a ludicrous claim on the surface.  The suggestion I guess is actually the point not any hard proof of the link.

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

6. 0
    Qbrown9posted 5 years ago

Ludicrous--too many other variables. I suppose kids of divorce are less likely to laugh too?
    If someone is in a bad marriage, I highly recommend getting out. Too many women remain in marriages that are abusive or cause more harm than good for too long to the children. Divorces can be handled well if handled in mature ways. Economics is the one factor that causes the greatest amount of stress on the single parent.

7. 61
    ForYourInfoposted 5 years ago

Its totally a nonsense.The health totally depends upon the upbringing of the kid.Ya,its true that a tragic past affects on them,but its not so serious.Because kid's mind have long to develop.A kid in a pathetic condition where his parents are staying together but living different lives suffers much more than a kid who is with a divorcée parent.