Mosquito Bites

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. annieloulaurel profile image59
    annieloulaurelposted 13 years ago

Hi,

I always have this problem ever since. I easily get bitten by mosquitoes, while my husband and daughter are not prone to it. What is it in me that those insects like? Does it have something to do with my blood? Please help!

thanks,

1. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Annieloulaurel, mosquitoes are attracted to the odor of carbon dioxide we exhale in our breath. That is how they are able to follow and bite us. It is possible you may be emitting more carbon dioxide than your husband and daughter.

1. yolanda yvette profile image61
        yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now that's interesting.  I've never heard that before.  I too seem to get bitten by mosquitoes a lot in comparison to others who may be around me.

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image59
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

Scientists seem to think something about hormones is what attracts mosquitoes.  In short, they bite what smells good to them.

3. Alice in Wonder profile image59
    Alice in Wonderposted 13 years ago

I too have been bitten by mosquitoes while everyone else is not.  I was told B1 vitamin will help by emitting an odor to the skin that repell mosquitoes.  Has helped me when mosquitoes are in season, and that is when i take it everyday and stop when they are gone.

4. profile image52
    snoweposted 13 years ago

Hi,
    I think this could be on your blood problem...because as what i know that mosquito like for sweet blood...
    Do you have a high level of sugar and diabetes..this person has this condition really prompt to mosquito.

5. profile image0
    firemanakposted 13 years ago

in the summer time, I eat a lot more garlic than normal, and I don't seem to be bitten as much as my friends and family

6. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

A couple of years ago I read that some people take a type of vitamin B tablets for a few weeks before travelling to make them less tasty to mossies. However do get proper information before trying this idea.

7. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've written hubs on mosquitoes because I am one who gets bitten lots too.
    Best thing to do is use an insecticide spray on any exposed skin if you are planning on going out in the evening. Mosquitoes are more active at night time. In the house keep your windows shut all night, else use mosquito nets to stop them coming in.
    Eating marmite is supposed to help, and garlic as has been mentioned. I eat garlic but still get bitten (haven't tried the marmite).
    If you do get bitten, apply nail polish to the bite - it takes the itch out and seals it, allowing it to heal.

8. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I camp a lot in the summer months, and the bugs are terrible. I will even endure wearing long pants at night to keep them little bastards off me. There are special latterns and torch lamps that have misquito repellent in them, that usually do a pretty good job of keeping them away. They are usually pretty cheap, and you can buy them anywhere. Better ones can be found at your local garden center, but, expect to pay more for them.

I even find that when I am camping, just building a fire will keep them at a good distance. Otherwise I wear insect repellent. They also have these things now that you wear on your wrist that are supposed to work pretty good. Always something new to try.

9. guy1973 profile image55
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

I hate mosquitoes and they follow me around all the time. once when i went camping one of those guys flew into my ear and got stuck in there, it was making annoying buzzing sound in my inner ear and i have to get up, out of my sleeping bag and pour water into my ear to drown it and wash it out, which i succeeded, after that i used to sleep with cotton wool in my ear.

1. yolanda yvette profile image61
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I probably would've gone out of my mind if I'd had something buzzing around inside my ear.  Making my eyes water just thinking about that one.  UGH!!!

10. profile image49
    Friendofmaddoposted 12 years ago

It's common knowledge to locals in India that if you eat about a teaspoon of Marmite a day (enough to cover two bits of toast) it really helps with keeping the mozzies away. Bizarre I know, but true, apparently.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd heard about the Marmite (see in a post above)but not tried it. I think after reading your post, I will buy a jar next time I see them in the shops to try smile Thanks.
      PS Marmite is like Bovril, isn't it? I love Bovril.

11. Anti-Valentine profile image75
    Anti-Valentineposted 12 years ago

You can try the eating garlic trick - keeps the bloodsuckers away.

But other than that, there's another thing that tends to work: slice up a tomato, and leave it in the room while you're asleep, or occupying the space in some manner. I've woken up one morning and saw dead mosquitoes on the plate next to the tomato.

Just remember to take the tomato and put it in the fridge when you're not using it, otherwise it creates a terrible pong!

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a new one to me and certainly worth a try smile

12. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

The only good mosquito…

I read somewhere that bats eat their weight in mosquitoes every day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)