Do you think the youth of today are 'the anxiety generation'?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Right On Time profile image60
    Right On Timeposted 13 years ago

Challenging to get into university, extremely tough to get a job post-GFC financial climate, body-image & lifestyle rules encouraged by modern marketing, easily-available processed foods, devaluing of family unit and Individualism.

One of my friends is a pharmacist and she has told me that the amount of scripts they get for depression medications, would support this view. I think that it is harder for kids of today (and then probably more mature people as well). What are your thoughts?

1. AshleyRB profile image61
      AshleyRBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm not sure if it's "harder" for us, because I haven't experienced what the last generation experienced. What I can say though is that I have had a hard time personally.

In the past I was on anti depressants (age 14!) but in my opinion they didn't do much. I have never been on them since, because I felt it was better for me to face my problems head on rather than medicate the shit out of myself.

The majority of the people in my life are worried about losing their job, can't find a job, and/or struggling with health issues....

To some it all up...from what I've seen we are a train wreck of a society!

Right On Timeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thx for sharing Ashley, sounds like you're way more together than many I know! I know, the whole job thing is so hard for people huh. And agree with your observations on society. Always enjoy reading your work smile

2. profile image0
      JustaMendesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think people should live more naturaly, and think that felicity is more than having a job, a houseand family.
      There are thousand of people who donĀ“t have the same stuffs as develop constries, but they find a way to live happy.
      The youth of today has the same feelings as other generations. We all need love and we can live in a more simple way.
      We will find a way to overcame the crise and survive.

2. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 13 years ago

The youth coming today face very tough times, there used to be a time when people were hired on the spot, nowadays people are lucky if they can graduate college and get a job making the same amount they paid each year to go to school.

The depression medications don't help the matter, our society has gotten the idea that every problem out there can be solved with a pill. There are a whole lot of children who can't sit still in a classroom for hours who just need some time to get up and move, not a pill that alters the mind.

I think technology is great for many things, but our over reliance on it has made it difficult for people to do the things we should be doing. I don't know how many people I've passed who've pulled out there cellphones and acted like they were talking to someone just to avoid any interaction with the world around them.

Right On Timeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  And what about the people with the iPods in their ears...

3. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I think that the media became a bad news engine that proliferated and shaped how our society views itself. This is having a domino effect with successive generations. I wrote a hub about it, and I don't think, given the context of this forum, it's too spammy to link it if anyone happens to be interested in having a look. http://hubpages.com/hub/Stop-Neutering- … em-So-Much

I think it's a much bigger problem than people realize, and it's going to play out unfortunately for us all if we don't get a jump on it.

1. Glenn Raymond profile image61
      Glenn Raymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most assuredly.  It's an unfortunate result of society as a whole these days.  And we need more people to advocate for the mentally ill also.  They say exersize is a natural prozac and no one gets enough of that anymore.  Technology is keeping everyone on their sofas a bit too much.

This is a wonderful question and I am glad you asked it.  Thank You.

4. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

I think the 'anxiety' loop began with the baby boomers and was pushed out into mainstream neurosis by the pharma companies and the media.  Pressure placed on individuals started way before Gen Y's.  In fact pressure is something that pushes individuals to achieve great things.  Without it there is the likelihood of being slovenly and an underachiever (measured by your own sense of value and worth of course)!

The stress epidemic started with the baby boomers who then became hellbent on ensuring their kids didn't have to go through what they did.  Unfortunately in the process of over-protecting the kids they have (in many cases) engendered fear and caution in everything they do.  Anxiety and stress related illness are rife, as well as depression.  A pill will never fix these problems but of course you want to believe they will!?!?

Brilliant article by Shades - worth a read on this widespread problem.

5. mecheil profile image60
    mecheilposted 13 years ago

Besides the pressure from media, peers and the valid reason of worrying about the future, many parents fail to guide youth to value the satisfaction that doesn't come from material things, high-paying job, and popularity. Bonding with the family and good times with real friends often fall in the last part of list of priorities. They tend to race in achieving what is tangible, and become too overwhelmed with the pressures that come in the way. They keep on chasing these things, anxious about not being able to get the latest gadgets, cover girl figures,  and higher salary than his rival in high school.

6. Right On Time profile image60
    Right On Timeposted 13 years ago

Wow this started some pretty intellectually stimulating responses. Totally agrees with yous all. smile

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think a lot of it comes from detached parenting. The kids live in anxiety-filled homes. If parents would understand more how important their responsibility is, we might not see so many kids on meds.

Every generation goes through growing pains, but it helps if parents are doing their job of parenting and setting appropriate boundaries for their kids. I saw a post yesterday from a relative who was basically flaunting that her high school age daughter had over 12,000 texts in a month...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)