jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

I have a really sore jaw. Any suggestions?

1. brimancandy profile image83
    brimancandyposted 5 years ago

A couple weeks ago, I started feeling some pain in my jaw. I think I might have a bad tooth, but, when I poke at my teeth, none of them seem to hurt, but the right side of my face hurts like hell, and it seems a bit swollen.

Yesterday, I couldn't bare to open my mouth to eat. The problem is, I can't pin point where the pain is coming from because the right side of my jaw top and bottom hurts, and so does my right ear.

I used to have great medical insurance, including dental, but when I lost my job 2 years ago the health insurance went right along with it. My friends are telling me that I should go to the emergency room, but, I don't have any money.

I know I can't just let it go, because if it keeps getting worse I might not be able to open my mouth to eat. Any suggestions?

Also, today I get to drive my brother to the VA in Ann Arbor for his MRI. (He is being treated for brain cancer) So, maybe I'll ask someone while I am there.

1. Pandoras Box profile image82
      Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It sounds like some kind of infection maybe. And I say this based only on my very limited experience watching House on tv and the fact that you find no bad tooth and recall no injury. Ear, nose, throat and sinuses are all connected.

Maybe you can find a walk-in clinic.

brimancandyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah. I'm worried about that. I don't have any money, so I'm worried that this is going to cost a lot, and I might end up getting really sick, and not be able to do anything about it. I am going to a VA hospital with my brother today, maybe they can do something for me.

2. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I'm with Pandora, an infection is the most likely.
    Are you allowed to buy antibiotics over the counter in your state?

If you are, buy a course of general purpose antibiotics - they only cost a few cents - and take the whole lot as instructed - finish the course in other words.

That way, if your pain is caused by a bacterial infection, you will have dealt with it, and if it was a viral infection -  your taking the antibiotics won't touch it, but you won't have damaged your resistance to the antibiotic you took if you take the whole course and not just part of it.

Just with you not having the money to get real medical advice, that's the best advice I know of.
    The only reason pharmacies don't normally sell antibiotics to the public without a prescription is because people have a tendency to only take them until they feel better, instead of taking them all. This gives the bacteria a chance to build resistance and lowers the value of the antibiotic for everyone else.

I have never been a big fan of antibiotics. I used to get bronchitis a lot when I was working, and they always had me take antibiotics, and it kept coming back. Now that I am no longer taking them, I no longer get sick. But, it is also because I am no longer working in the inviroment where I was constantly getting reinfected. But Nyquil seemed to work better for that.

This sure hurts like hell. Not going to be fun driving close to 10 hours today.

3. Pandoras Box profile image82
    Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago

Ouch. I feel for ya, man.

Sure hope they can help you out while you're there.

4. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Try oil of oregano until you can get to a doc.

5. 1974 profile image62
    1974posted 5 years ago

I had the same thing about a month ago.  I had an infection caused by a cavity in my tooth, but my teeth all felt fine.  The whole side of my face on the other hand hurt like hell.  It all started late on a Saturday night and my wife was at work so I couldn't wake the kids up to go to the ER. 

I found some Anbesol in the medicine cabinet and rubbed it on my gums, top and bottom, on the side of my face that was hurting.  Within minutes, all the pain was gone.  I would not recommend this as a long term solution, but it worked for me until I got to the dentist later that week.

My dentist also told me that a tooth infection can work it's way up into the bone of your face which is what causes all that pain.  Money or not, you need to go somewhere.  Go to the ER if you have to, in most states by law they have to treat you.

Thanks for the info. I'll try the ER at the VA.