jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Back ache

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion to alleviate back pain. I keep having spasms and am having trouble walking. Is heat okay to put on it or should I use ice? It feels like it's my sciatic nerve.

2. perfumer profile image60
    perfumerposted 8 years ago

Hi Uninvited Writer,

Last winter I suffered form Sciatica pain
    for the first time.

I took pain killers but didn't work.
    Finally I decided to see a chiropractor.

He fixed me up in just two sessions.
    I call him a magician!

He suggested me to use ice pack
    but I didn't follow his advice.

I used nothing else but his adjustments.

I found this chiropractor through a friend of mine.

I hope you find a good one in your area.

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

If there's inflammation present, an ice pack is the best option.  Also if you can, take anti-inflammatories or aspirin at the recommended dose.

A visit to a physiotherapist, osteopath or chiropractor is certainly the best and quickest way to get relief.  They have different approaches but they all work.

4. mulder profile image81
    mulderposted 8 years ago

Fish oil  ,  magentic underlay ,  chiropactor, yoga   or help    I had a bad back for years  this has  help me .

5. guidebaba profile image60
    guidebabaposted 8 years ago

6. 2patricias profile image60
    2patriciasposted 8 years ago

Hi, Back pain is horrid & so tiring. You are doing the right thing  by trying to sort it out rather than ignoring it. These are my suggestions.
    Check with your doctor & see a physiotherapist to get a proper diagnosis. There are many causes of back pain & how you treat it depends on the cause. After having taken expert  medical advice & completed any recommended treatments such as a course of physiotherapy, you may wish to consider Pilates if your medical practitioner agrees.
    Pilates strengthens & activates the core muscles that support the spine. It helps  you to acquire good posture. Poor posture can contribute to back pain, as can weak core muscles.
    Pilates takes commitment & time but is often extremely effective. It's not a cure all but helps many people manage their condition effectively & can even eliminate pain in some cases.
    Exercises for pilates & yoga should be modified according to your personal needs so check with a physio for a recommendation to a well qualified, understanding instructor. You will be best advised to start with one to one sessions before joining a general class if  you are able to afford this. Otherwise, keep everything low key when you join a class & build up gradually as your muscles activate & strengthen. Ensure your instructor is well qualified and, if you attend a class, that it is no larger than 12 people. Instructor courses  can range from a few days to a Masters Diploma (As a guide, my Pilates Masters Dipoloma took three and a half years to complete). Pilates Institute instructors may have taken a remedial diploma which gives extra training for medical condtions.
    Good luck,

7. Ntathu profile image61
    Ntathuposted 8 years ago

Blessings, have you thought of yoga. A gentle yoga class teacher will introduce you to a variety of simple yoga stretches you could try to ease your back pain. If you still have the pain, where is it - lower back, middle or upper back/shoulders?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Luckily the pain has gone for now. I am trying to stretch more. It started in my upper back and ended up in my lower back.