jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

More great smoking news..

1. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

http://topicfire.com/share/A-stark-warn … 83399.html

Yeah, I know: if we made cigarettes illegal it would just create a giant black market.  Probably higher taxes could do the same.

But do we have to put up with people poisoning the air we breathe?  Do people have a right to spew toxins at people nearby?

I think not and I would like to see tougher public smoking laws.  I am not sure about having insurance companies jack up smokers premiums; many smokers may have been hooked before the full horrors were well known.  It would not be fair to punish them.

But at least keep them from poisoning the rest of us.

1. Castlepaloma profile image27
      Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wonder if people have died from second hand smoke more than from guns

2. tmbridgeland profile image84
      tmbridgelandposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree to a point, but I see it as more a matter of education and politeness than law. Lots of things people do involve some risk to others, and we can't ban all of them. Driving, for example. We require training, licenses, have police watching everyone, and still 20,000 people are killed every year in cars. More laws would be unlikely to be worth it, from a societal viewpoint, even if it would be from the victim's.  The downsides, like the illegal markets you mentioned, are too great.

2. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

I have no problem with charging more for smokers' health insurance premiums or the overweight for that matter. The health risks of both have been known for years. We charge for car insurance based on driving habits, why not charge for bad health habits. We are drowning in health care costs. We need to control what we can and expect people to take responsibility.