jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

1. Soquira profile image60
    Soquiraposted 5 years ago

So I'm about seven months along and I have seriously been debating trying a waterbirth - I'm switching from my regular OB to a midwife at a birthing center anyway.

At first, I was completely set on the idea that I would need an epidural to get through labor and I still halfway believe that. However I'm not too keen on the idea and have heard that waterbirths are an amazing alternative so now I suppose I'm just looking for any input/experiences/etc.

1. Lupozee profile image60
      Lupozeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wanted a water birth but didnt go my way because i had to have forceps which mean an epidural.
      i was against eppi and i still am so if your thinking of having one dont! im suffering from serious back pain and to be honest i didnt see the difference you still feel the pain...do gas and air and it does help especially if you have someone there helping you with the breathing.

2. kerryg profile image86
      kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's definitely an idea that sounds appealing.

Based on my own labor, I think the most important thing is just being free to move around. I was at a good local hospital and had a good experience overall, but they had a fetal monitoring belt on me that kept slipping and freaking the nurses out. After a few hours, they finally asked me to stop moving around and just get in the bed, and let me tell you, it is amazing how much more painful it is to labor on your back in bed than kneeling or bending over in an upright position, and how immediate the difference is, too.

2. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Whatever you choose it's up to you but make sure that you have adequate professional help nearby, as you never know what might go wrong. No one can predict that, as childbirth is a VERY COMPLEX PROCESS. I gave birth 3 times and every one was different. I do not know why. I would not do it in water personally, as we do not live in it, we are not delphines.

3. Monisajda profile image82
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

Waterbirth is a good alternative to a hospital one. You said you would be in a birthing center and I assume it is in close vicinity of a hospital. Make sure you trust the midwife, a good thing to do is to interview a few of them to see if you like her and your personalities mesh. Trust in your body. A good midwife will not push natural birth for the sake of natural if something goes wrong but will transfer you to hospital asap. I personally had a home birth and wouldn't change it.

4. 0
    hemustincreaseposted 5 years ago

I had an unassisted water birth at home with baby number three. smile My first was born in the hospital (i tried a home birth but it was a complicated labour). My second was born at home, delivered by my husband. And my third at home by my husband in a birthing pool. It definitely helped to get through the contractions. But when it comes to the last stage..........it is no less painful than without the pool. But if i have anymore, i would use the pool again. I am not a lover of pain. I just prefer to be totally natural. My home births were totally wonderful experiences. smile