jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Honest Help needed ,

1. Aisla profile image81
    Aislaposted 5 years ago

This is not an excuse to get you to visit my hub, i promise, but i really need some health conscious people to support me through my new diet.
    I want to go down 10kilos, back to what i would term as my healthy BMI and happy weight.I also run and find it so much easier when i am lighter.
    I have written many hubs and some of them are about nasty wounds with gruesome pictures and these hubs get loads of visits.
    Now i put out "my dirty washing" pour my heart out about my innermost feelings and guess what..........lol.........slow traffic. This time i am really begging for help to encourage me as this diet is themost difficult i have ever started. It started in October, i went down a little. Blossomed at Christmas and started again in January. Sensible eating no change.
    So i got hold of the Danish hospital metabolism diet which was way too much protein. I modified it a bit and started this one.
    I am putting out daily results if anyone else wants to try this.
    The good news after the third day i am feeling and seeing a difference so i think this might work.
    I just need encouragement to continue especially as it is getting close to the weekend!!
    Getting off this plateau has become a personal fight

1. literary_hack profile image60
      literary_hackposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Here's my advice.  I lost 60 lbs over the course of about 8 months and have managed to keep it off for about 3 years now.

Firstly, stop focusing on your BMI.  I know it's hard, but IGNORE THAT NUMBER.  It's a construct actually has no base in general health (read:  health for everyone) and it's only going to get you down.  If your doctor keeps bugging you about your BMI, send him/her this link:  http://mavenity.org/2010/05/26/bmi-obes … re-of-fat/ or any of the countless others about BMI and why it isn't an appropriate standard for health.

Secondly, move!  If you're the kind of person who hates going to the gym, start doing walks or pilates or a Zumba class.  There's also lots of free workout videos you can find online and do in the privacy of your home.  You may be able to lose weight without exercise, but you won't get any healthier.

Thirdly, eat foods in their natural forms.  For example, eat oatmeal instead of an oat muffin or an orange instead of orange juice.  This way your body is getting NATURAL nutrition that it needs. 

Other things that helped for me included eliminating whole fat dairy (unless I was eating out).  Using reduced or no-fat dairy products brings down fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol levels.

So now, these are the rules I live by:
      1.  Exercise 3-5 times per week.
      2.  Add vegetables whenever possible.
      3.  Indulge if you want to.  If you don't, you're going to go crazy.
      4.  Only have full fat dairy in restaurants.
      5.  Add fruit (fresh, dried, canned, frozen) to breakfast.

I'm happy that your Danish hospital metabolism plan seems to be working for you, but if it stops, try what I did.  It's something that's really easy to maintain.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image97
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I admire your courage for posting here but it almost makes me cry with frustration when I hear about people trying to lose weight in modern times. They are so stressed out with modern dietary tactics and nonsensical advice from fake, "Medical experts," that they need the comfort of a rich, chocolately dessert to calm them down!

Please - ditch the diet books and plans. They are written by unscrupulous individuals trying to make a fortune while torturing you and probably going a long way to killing you in the process. Consider the following:

1) Losing weight is about increasing the ratio of calories burned to calories consumed

2) Sensible exercise suited to the state of your physical health is essential (expert advice is available in most locales and should always be taken)

3) The biggest mistake made by people trying to lose weight is in thinking that they have to eat like rabbits - tasteless junk which they will never stick to in a million years

Now consider this:

1) Healthy, low calorie recipes do not and never will equate to tasteless recipes

2) You are reading this, so you have the greatest tool ever developed by mankind at your fingertips - the Internet

3) Healthy recipes are but a Google search away...

Don't make the mistake of thinking that your diet or low calorie recipes are set in stone. They are not.

Set some time aside to consider your favourite basic food ingredients. By this, I really mean basic ingredients and not particular dishes. For example, chicken is a basic ingredient - coq au vin is not.

List your favourite ingredients. Try to come up with a variety of meats, vegetables, grains, etc.

Pick one of each and perform a Google search. For example:

"Healthy chicken brocolli rice recipe" Be sure to include the words healthy and recipe. I have just conducted this search on Google UK and found almost three hundred thousand results...!!

Important: If you do have any form of diagnosed medical condition, you should always consult your registered and professional medical practitioner before following this advice.

Good luck!! smile

2. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Orange juice is okay as long as it is freshly squeezed with no sugar added, no commercial crap. And no take outs whatsoever!

3. rachaelgerk profile image59
    rachaelgerkposted 5 years ago

I lost over 80 pounds and have kept it off with a healthy vegan diet. I LOVE the foods I eat, and I get to indulge in awesome things like brownies, spaghetti, casseroles, stews, etc. ll made with whole ingredients. There are tons of recipes out there that will show you how tasty and healthy this kind of eating can be. Best of all, it's not a diet so it's sustainable for a lifetime. Add some moderate exercise 3-5 times a week and you'll have no problem getting to your goal weight and staying there.

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I was researching a product called Garcinia Cambogia which is a fruit that grows in Asia. Anyway, point being it is supposed to be good to help dieters lose weight when they hit that plateau that you seem to be on. Look it up yourself to see if that would be any good for you. It can be bought in powder or tablet form.

5. Aisla profile image81
    Aislaposted 5 years ago

Thank you for the great replies these are honestly really appreciated.
    I seem to have found the diet that is working for me and i am blogging it on my hub daily if you want to have a look by all means please do.
    I will only stay on very low calories for the first 11 days as i am preparing for several road races in 2011 and can't risk losing muscle protein. The reason i need to go down in weight is really because i feel better 1 stone or 7 kilos lighter when running. I am not the fastest in the world but the extra weight is definately putting strain on my bones and joints.I love running and as i get older it gets that little bit easier when the wobbly bits go!!