jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

An Antioxidant Diet Is Important For Good Health

1. cookingstar profile image61
    cookingstarposted 5 years ago

An antioxidant diet will protect people from terrible diseases so a conscientious effort to consume an antioxidant diet on a daily basis is important.  Many doctors and nutritionists have conducted excellent research studies to find the diet that is best for a healthy life.  These brilliant scientists have provided a great deal of information to show that an antioxidant diet will make a significant difference in the health of all people.  These medical professionals are not providing this information to support farmers or food suppliers.  Their interest is only in the health of the population.  Their research has shown that there are foods that contain antioxidants and a diet rich in these foods will keep people healthy.

The antioxidant diet is not full of strange foods from foreign lands that are expensive and difficult to obtain.  The foods rich in antioxidants are foods that many people eat on a regular basis.  After studying a model antioxidant diet, most people will find that they like and eat many of the foods in the recommended antioxidant diets.  Every person, especially the family cook, should study the list and use these lists as the basis for planning the family menus.  There are some great cookbooks that are dedicated to incorporating antioxidants into tasty dishes that the entire family will enjoy.

An Antioxidant Diet Can Be Tasty As Well As Healthy

Tofu is good for the health, but many people do not like to eat this.  There are some very delicious foods that are also good for the health because these are rich in antioxidants.  Most fish is a great source of antioxidants.  Cooks intent on providing an antioxidant diet should consider different types of fish dishes several days a week.  Although some people do not like fish, there are many ways to make a fish dish delicious.  People like different types of fish better than other types.  Cooks should look for the fish that tastes best to please the family and keep everyone happy and healthy. 

A good antioxidant diet should be rich in fruits and vegetables.  Cantaloupe, strawberries and blueberries are great sources of antioxidants, and these can be used to make great desserts.  Cantaloupe is usually very tasty without any additions so this type of fruit will not be a problem for those dieting.  Other types of fruit can also be served without adding sugar or rich sauces.  Broccoli, green leafy vegetables and potatoes are good for the health because these are rich in antioxidants.

1. superwags profile image81
      superwagsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think the diet itself is what is healthy about it, rather than antioxidants.  There's no good evidence to say that antioxidants can protect from any disease; and a little good evidence that in some situations they encourage early onset of disease when taken as controlled suppliments.

I feel like a spoil sport here, but it's just that I have to try to stop the propegation of the myth! Please do the reading!

1. Dr. Wendy profile image78
        Dr. Wendyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The fruits you listed are good sources of antioxidants, but I have to disagree with tofu and meat.  Tofu comes from soy.  Soy is not good for you, unless it is fermented.  Meat always plugs up the system.  There can be some argument for benefits of fish.  They do supply healthy fats, and fish oil as a supplement supposedly has antioxidant value, but it doesn't make sense that cooked meat (which oxidizes) can also be an antioxidant.  Just my .02.  Take it for what it's worth.  wink

2. 59
    healthy chikposted 5 years ago

I think this is a great hub, thanks for the info xx