jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

1. 0
    lovazaposted 5 years ago

Depression isn't easy to cope with.  I do suffer with bouts of depression, however, I have learned to recognize the symptoms.
    Then I limit activities because it's hard to push myself in doing something that is overwhelming.  My mind wants to shut down and that can physically affect me also.  I read a book, play piano,  and I still do exercises in order to have my body function better. It's important to keep occupied so that the depression doesn't swallow me up completely.  And I know it has many times.  There are times I need to sit and allow myself to  rest because I am finding that being in a state of depression isn't all that bad.  The mood does lift eventually and then I can appreciate the feeling-good days.  Circumstances and a series of little stresses can trigger depression.  I try not to feel overwhelmed by life itself and try to focus upon the things that I can do during the day, even if it's one thing.

1. AshleyRB profile image61
      AshleyRBposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I understand you completely.
      I fall into those deep depressions regularly and it's hard for me to carry on sometimes. What helps me is reminding myself that life will still go on after the depression is gone.

I am currently a college student, who used to work in the past. I quit my job out of depression and I screwed up my grades in community college. I transferred to a university this semester and I had trouble adjusting.

The stress of tuition, being uprooted, and thrown into an unfamiliar environment was tough, but I'm fully adjusted now.  The key to getting through it is reminding yourself that your life is in your hands. You have the control over your happiness. Count your blessings, hun. It reminds us how good we really have it.

2. mudassirikram profile image61
      mudassirikramposted 5 years ago in reply to this

i would be very pleased to give you a related link
      <snipped - do not promote your Hubs in the forums>

3. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 5 years ago in reply to this

sounds like you have a good coping system set up.  it's a good thing. smile

4. twilightnera profile image75
      twilightneraposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have had bouts with depression quite a bit because the events in my life were spiraling out of control. I would however write or read to escape and not take my depression out on others and that always seems to work. Just try to keep your head up whenever you can know that  it always passes in time in effort.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I have plenty to be depressed about. Instead of the category or "situational depression" I have a category of associational depression.
    I do not allow myself to dwell on negative associations which mostly involve a depressing and insecure future. Can be very
    difficult if one is scared to death. For me the trick is substitution, which is to get out of the house, long and beautiful walks, talk to people, strangers whoever, especially people worse off than me, and intellectual concentration as creativity. Concentrate on the positive. Glass half full or empty, it can always be worse.

3. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

It's hard to overcome, it's possible overcome. keeping busy and right nutrition help a lot.

4. ichallengefitness profile image62
    ichallengefitnessposted 5 years ago

in 2009 for  most of the year if not  the whole year i was depressed,  but now i have a future to make that is becoming a teacher i am  doing well with depression,  one of my rules is

keep hold of your goal for dear life and be stubborn about it (meaning no matter what  happens bad or worse, you will  get this goal.

it sounds impossible  but it does work,   your mental mind is so keen on having this goal  after your moment of depression your smarts kick in and you  put in all your effort.

read one of my latest posts called motive operative and willpower, it explains half of the  bad stuff i  went through to my latest problem.  i call this climbing  the hill.

anyway.  Don't let it defeat you.