jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Seizure Disorders

1. 61
    dunlopdeb12posted 5 years ago

Hello, I just want to say I am frustrated with the help that my family can get due to my disability which I am still not on the right medication since my accident 2 years ago when I fall twice in 1 weekend  . These injurirs were to the front and back of my head leaving me seizures and no balance , major migarines, can't be left alone and can't go anywhere by myself since this occurred and I am only 46 now and time of accidents 44. My life has taken a complete 360 as I used to work full time, was very active and very happy and content. Now I am very dependent on my family and this has caused some stress on them and myself. I know I can get someone in to help with household chores but I have family help in that department. I need my family to get some counciling with what is happening to me so that they can cope with the everyday challanges that I have with normal everyday routines. I am very grateful I am not alone like some individuals in this country but still I need some support for them so that they can better understand what I am going through everyday!

2. 61
    hjl1posted 5 years ago

Hi, sorry to hear about your injury. Dont know your location but in UK there is an excelent head injury group called headway.
    They can be found on Google and do provide councelling, legal advice etc. Even if you dont live in UK they may have contact details which could help you.
    Hope this helps

3. La Papillon profile image75
    La Papillonposted 5 years ago

Hi there wink
    Accepting help, for household tasks (and other things), from an 'outsider' or service can offer family members a respite (break) from such. This can help alleviate some of the stresses on them and even yourself. Don't be shy to accept or ask for 'outside' help.
    Counselling can be of assistance for all involved. This can help all vent, discuss and evaluate their feelings. Quality 'help' here can help you all with the 'team-work' involved with assisting you in your daily life.
    If you are concerned about your medication, you have a right to seek advice on such from your doctor or even gain several second/thrid opinions if you feel it is necessary.
    Good luck and I wish you well smile

1. La Papillon profile image75
      La Papillonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I meant to also add......when an independant and active person becomes unable to enjoy all the things (activity, indepenence) they normally have in the past, they can become very frustrated when relying heavily on family and friends to help them. The loss of independence can be upsetting.
      Again , perhaps counselling for you or confiding in a very trusted person, regarding your feelings here, may help improve your contentment.
      Cheers, Louise.