jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Whey Protein and whole food

1. David 470 profile image87
    David 470posted 6 years ago

After I workout, I take two scoops of whey protein with water. When should I eat afterwards? Is 45 minutes okay? I just want to make sure my body is not trying to absorb the whey protein and the whole food protein I am eating too. (at the same time)

1. rcrm89 profile image76
      rcrm89posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Whenever you like !

The limit to how much protein your body can absorb in a meal is not worth worrying about (unless you're consuming exorbitant amounts that would leave wild beasts in awe).

See this article by Alan Aragon for a more in-depth explanation:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutr … ngle-meal/

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...what's the purpose of the whey protein?

David 470posted 6 years ago in reply to this

You don't know what it is? It's basically a fast acting protein that goes into your body faster than other types of protein. A supplement/meal replacement.

Milk protein(casein) is slower than whey. Whey also has amino acids in it to help body recover.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

..so why not just eat food rather than a supplement or replacement...or is it about getting something into your system quick?

David 470posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, whole foods are very important too, but whey protein gets into your system quicker and is convenient.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

...i get you...i used to eat a certain way when i was travelling on my bicycle..to keep my energy up or i could 'boink' (that's my term) and lose all my energy and still have to ride back home.

5. arthursaxon profile image59
    arthursaxonposted 6 years ago

I consume my post-workout shake and just use hunger as a guide after that. Sometimes I'm starving 15 minutes later, but usually it's 30 minutes to an hour later when I have my next meal.

6. personaltraining profile image81
    personaltrainingposted 6 years ago

agree with the other reply, you can just eat as soon as you are hungry.

also re: "why not just eat food?", it's mostly a matter of convenience. Especially immediately after training, you can slam down a nice cold shake easily enough, but it might take a little while before you feel like sitting down to a meal.

Whey is a whole food anyway so using it (or other protein supplements) is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

7. tomashuhart75 profile image61
    tomashuhart75posted 6 years ago

It is very true that the body absorbs nutrients more efficiently within the first 45 minutes of training.  But taking protein anytime throughout the day is quite alright.  There is no specific time that is absolutely necessary, but consuming it within that window will maximize absorbtion.

working