jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Living with Tinea Versicolor- Any Hubbers live w/this Skin condition?

1. Michael Willis profile image79
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

Tinea Versicolor is a misunderstood skin condition. I have lived with this since I was 12-13 years old. Many think it is just a rash, but it is a skin fungus that can last a short time or for decades, depending on the person's skin.

There is the misconception that this can be cured by medicine, but that is a myth. It can be controlled by medicines. The condition usually will disappear when one's body becomes less oily.

It is a nightmare for those living with this. Especially those who have more than a mild case of this. The itching and burning from an outbreak is bad enough, but the personal and public perception and reaction can be far worse.

I have seen a couple of hub mention this and am wondering if there are hubbers who actually have lived with the condition or know someone who does.

Below is a picture of someone with Tinea Versicolor:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4874463_f248.jpg

Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I also have an interview scheduled tomorrow with an owner of a website dedicated to this skin condition. Had a lengthy talk today with him and I look forward to the official interview tomorrow. The plans are to have the interview "featured" on the website.

After all of this is done, I do plan on spending time working on several Hubs ( a series) about the issue. There are so many misconceptions about it and I know first hand how people's misconceived ideas can be harmful and cause a lot of emotional grief.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

Since you are by yourself, does seem a rare thing and maybe not so much related,
    but one of the great mini-series of all time is 'The Singing Detective' 1986 
    Michael Gambon, about a guy with a really severe case of Psoriasis.

I haven't heard of that or him before. I will look this up. Tinea Versicolor is different than Psosriasis. Everyone has the fungus that causes this on their skin. Some people suffer from the problem and some do not. Oily skin and Yeast is the main cause.

LOL, I told someone once I had a Yeast infection. I got the weirdest look.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

Yes know it is not the same. Just thought you might be interested in the film since not many films made about skin conditions.
    The great Netflix has it. Actually it is a psychological detective story and musical made in Britain.

Thanks to telling me about it. It does sound interesting.

working