jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

11-hour work days can harm your heart, study shows

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

.... risk of developing heart disease, the world's biggest killer, British scientists said Monday.

Researchers said a long-term study showed that working more than 11 hours a day increased the risk of heart disease by 67 percent, compared with working a standard 7 to 8 hours a day.

They said the findings suggest that information on working hours — used alongside other factors like blood pressure, diabetes and smoking habits — could help doctors work out a patient's risk of heart disease.

this sounds like common sense but many people hav no choice but to work 11 hour shifts since that's all the factory jobs offer...at least around here

2. Mikeydoes profile image80
    Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago

Well in that case I'm going to 4 hours a day, just to be sure.

3. BlissfulWriter profile image85
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

I certainly can believe that 11-hour shifts is harmful to health.   Some doctors sometimes work 24-hour shifts.  I think society has pushed the individual too far and in working them too hard.  But you are correct that some people have no choice.  It should not be like this. 

Here is Hub article about "Karoshi" which is literally death from overwork: http://hubpages.com/hub/people-dying-from-work

1. Mikeydoes profile image80
      Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sadly this is the truth, hopefully more than you and I will realize it(I'm sure others do too, just saying, we need a lot more people!). In due time, maybe quicker than we expect. I'm not living stressed out every day like my parents. The 8 hour day isn't needed any more.

Society is doing a lot of things wrong atm, not just this.

4. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 5 years ago

One thing that is not considered is that "work" is considered what we do in an eight hour span at the office or other place of employment.  The oversight is that "work" also includes what we do when we arrive home.  Consider those with families, children, commitments to volunteerism, teaching and so on.  The work day does not end until much later.  Sometimes, for me, the day does not end until I have hit the 19th/20th hour of the day.  I agree it's not the healthiest lifestyle, but take into consideration the satisfaction that I gain from helping others.  It compensates for the long work hours and I sleep much better knowing in my heart and mind that I've made a difference in someone's life.  "Work" studies do not account for self-satisfaction or the positive effects of contributing in a fashion that one deems helpful to others.

5. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago

No kidding.  I am often expected to put in more than 12 hours a day to get the job done.  As a contract worker in the broadband technology field, there is often downtime, time spent not working because engineers need to do upgrades before I can do my job.  Then we get backed up in our work schedule and I'm expected to get the job done within the allotted quarter.  It's really bad.  On top of that, when I am working, I'm out of town, in a hotel every night, trying to eat right, fighting traffic and 18 wheelers all day, weather, and getting tests done before the window closes. It feels like my body and brain are constantly on alert which can't be good.  I feel like one of those big cats you see at the circus who are kept in large cages and just pace all day with anxiety wanting to be let free to run in the open.  In a car all day, 6 cell phones, 6 air cards, 1 laptop, 1 computer, 3 slaves, big marine battery, converter, all spinning and making white noise, never being near a restroom when I need one, in a hotel every night.  HELLPP!!!!!