What's the best natural cure for a cough?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    CollBposted 12 years ago

I normally use cough medicines which work short term but when it's the cold and flu-ey season again, I get a cough back again.  Are there natural remedies which work on a cough?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't try and suppress a cough. If you have a cold or flu, a cough is your body's way of rejecting bacteria or viruses you may breathe in while your immune system is busy elsewhere protecting your vital organs.
      Think of that little army of soldiers (your white blood cells) busy fighting a battle with the enemy (the cold or flu virus). While that battle is going on, there are less protective soldiers in your lungs where they normally stand sentry, so your body develops a cough to expel intruders so that the soldier can get on with their job without breaking ranks.

I didn't make this up, I was taught years ago in nursing college.

A cough when no infection is present should be treated, but with infection it is natural.

1. profile image0
        CollBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi IzzyM, an interesting tip.  I'd like to be able to cough naturally but I don't think people around me would appreciate that especially when face to face with clients!  Thanks for that tip and yes it is a good idea to let a cough get healed naturally, if possible.

2. javastone8 profile image61
      javastone8posted 12 years agoin reply to this

In javanese , there is a traditional cure for cough, you can try if you want to.
      take orange juice and soy sauce, squeeze lemon and mix with soy sauce in a spoon to eat and drink. This medication is up to 4 days

I hope you will be healthy

See you

Wisnoe

1. profile image0

Hi Javastone8, thanks for this tip - sounds good except I'm not keen on using soy sauce.  However, worth a try as they say, thanks!

1. javastone8 profile image61
          javastone8posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome CollB
          thanks for your reply

3. Miss Paula profile image42
      Miss Paulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Peppermint  candy is good for a cough also, it doesn't take it away but it will easy it a little.

1. profile image0

Yes I agree with you, thanks for that Miss Paula.  Next time when I'm coughing profusely, I'll just keep some peppermint sweets in my bag.

4. AbrarAhmad31 profile image54
      AbrarAhmad31posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The best way to avoid contracting influenza or cold is to keep yourself warm and drink plenty of fluids. Liquids like tea can also reduce mucus thickness. You can also use a humidifier at home as warm moist air causes the bronchial tubes to relax and it loosens up mucus, however, care should be taken to clean out the humidifier regularly to avoid bacteria or fungi propagating in it. If managing a humidifier is problematic, breathing in steam from boiling water can soften mucus while adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil has enhance the effect of steam therapy as the oil contains antibacterial properties which can heal burning sensation in the throat. Still, there are some other natural foods for bronchitis treatment like: honey has antiviral as well as antibacterial properties and eating a tablespoon daily be useful to treat bronchitis as it helps soothes the throat and build an strong immune system. Oregano oil and salt water tends to lessen throat soreness and a few drops of oregano oil or gargling salt water are enough to cure severe or uneasy breathing. Garlic and turmeric has antiviral and antibiotic properties while turmeric have anti-inflammatory properties. Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder or some freshly chopped garlic cloves in a glass of milk, boil it for some time and drink. Orange and lemon juice are rich in vitamin C and have antioxidant properties. Drink lots of orange juice to build immune properties in the body. Or boil a cup of water and add a few drops of lemon juice in it and drink to relieve throat soreness. Ginger has immune building and anti-inflammatory properties. Add half a teaspoon of ground ginger and cinnamon to hot water and drink the mixture. In addition drink plenty of water as it is necessary to keep your body hydrated during cold and influenza bouts to avoid your throat from getting dry, which can make coughing painful.
      Reference: http://bit.ly/2b4w5Rg

2. lilian1 profile image59
    lilian1posted 12 years ago

Try sipping a lemon and honey drink in hot water the lemon must be a fresh one that is suppose to be good for coughs and colds...

1. profile image0

Hi Lilian1, thanks for that suggestion - I normally drink lemon and honey for sore throats but usually with bottled lemon.  I'll have to get a stock of fresh lemons now!  Thanks again.

3. Inspiration88 profile image71
    Inspiration88posted 12 years ago

Elderberry! Here is a recommendation that you will keep buying over and over, once you try it! http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Elderber … s/555?at=0

And here is a 5$ Discount code - DOB496

Be healthy! smile

1. profile image0

Hi Inspiration88, thanks for this tip and I'll try it out - sounds like a good way to help with colds and flu, thanks again.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Warm honey, lemon and brandy.  It doesn't cure the cough but you feel much less worried about having one after a pint or two.

1. profile image0

Now that sounds like it!  I'll add the brandy to the lemon and warm the honey mixture!  Thanks for this tip!

5. gem33 profile image60
    gem33posted 12 years ago

lemon,honey and ginger. boil the ginger, add lemon juice and sweeten with honey.

1. profile image0

Yep, I think the ginger will do the trick.  I'll add the ginger and thanks for this tip - so many useful tips as well from others!

6. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

This was  sure fire remedy for me, really it works, I promise!!

1/4 cup warm water (more if you can't hack the rest of the recipe)
    1 TBSP of organic apple cider vinegar.
    1 tsp of organic honey
    1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper  (I mean it!)
    A bit of ginger.

Gargle every 30 minutes. Swallow if possible, seriously, this mixture is good for your immune system.

1. profile image0

Hi Donotfear, thanks for this recipe.  I'll definitely try this one as it sounds like it'll clear the immune system.  Definitely worth a try!  Thanks again.

7. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 12 years ago

Lemon and honey mixed in a cup and gulp it down. Also lots of orange juice.

1. profile image0

Hi Julie2, thanks for this tip, it's surprising that the lemon and honey works for coughs as I use it mainly for sore throats.  Orange juice a good idea too - again I use that for sore throats and when I have the flu.

1. Julie2 profile image60
        Julie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah! My father inlaw mixes the lemon and honey with a bit of rum and chugs it down. big_smile

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

2 bottles of vodka works wonders!

You don't care whether you cough or not! smile

1. profile image0

2 bottles of vodka?  Interesting.  Now that I think of it, I took some brandy once for my cold and it helped a lot - I've to try the vodka for a cough - with 2 bottles I'd definitely wouldn't notice it anymore! smile

9. mtkomori profile image88
    mtkomoriposted 12 years ago

Freshly squeezed lemon,honey, and hot water. Mix all of these up and it works wonders! I tried this on my son this past March because he had a terrible cough and most of the cough was gone when he had the drink. I found this info on the web.

1. profile image0

Hi Mtkomori, thanks for this tip and yes I'd definitely agree with you and the others about the honey and lemon driank and yes in hot water and that it should be freshly squeezed, as it has worked well on my cough - which has gone and went in a day and a half!

Thanks again and to all who've given me some really good tips smile

1. profile image0

That should be 'drink' - I did read over my comment before posting but missed the drink! smile

10. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years ago

A teaspoon of honey, some ginger and black pepper mixed. Or stir a teaspoon of honey in half glass warm water.

1. profile image0

Hi Ultimate Hubber, thanks for this tip.  I think the ginger and black pepper mix would do the trick and I'll try that next time I've a cough for my cough's now gone thanks to the tips here! smile

I had a few bags too many of hoola hoops crisps the other week when it was really sunny and the next thing I knew, I had a sore throat followed by a bout of cough!

11. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I've heard that plantains are good. Cut the fruit in half, raw, and put it in a pitcher with water, let it soak overnight, and you drink that water to stop the cough. You can reuse the fruit for a few days. Once it gets gooey, throw it away. I tried it once and didn't have the stomach to drink that water. But if you can, then it's supposed to work miracles.

1. profile image0

Very interesting.  Although I don't eat plantains.  Though worth a try, as they say...gotta find that fruit though as I don't think they sell it in the supermarkets!

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? We have them in all supermarkets over here. They're delicious when fried, and the central americans and caribbean people eat make many popular dishes with it.

1. profile image0

Nope.  However there are Asian shops here which sell a variety of products from around the world so I'll see if they sell this fruit!  I'm sure recipes with this fruit is nice but it's not sold in supermarkets I've been in!  Thanks for the tip, again.

12. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Chinese answer (that I know works really well, and for Izzy it reduces the coughing and takes the gravel out of it) 6 inch piece of old ginger, crush it a little and boil it with sugar (honey is worth no more than its sugar content when boiled).  If you start with about 3 pints of water and boil it down to 2 that would be about right.  Just drink a small glass hot every few hours - but not before bed as it will keep you awake.  When 'she' wasn't looking I drank it cold a few times as I am inherently lazy, and it worked just the same.

1. profile image0

I'll definitely try this tip out next time as my cough's well and truly gone!  What I found works is the honey and lemon even after the sore throat's gone - previously I'd stop drinking it once my sore throat went.

This sounds like a good tip, thanks Recommend1.

13. BaliMermaid profile image58
    BaliMermaidposted 12 years ago

I used to have terrible coughing problems at least twice a year. For me the answer wyas preventative. I have tumeric, here called kunyit, in my food every way possible. I have not had a cold or cough now for four years. Believe me, no one is more surprised than I am but, for me, it works.

1. profile image0

Hi BaliMermaid, tumeric? I've to try that one next time - not tried that before!  It's surprising what else can work on a cough, thanks for sharing this!

14. profile image52
    ForYourInfoposted 12 years ago

Peppermint candies are quite effective for cough .Also try 1 tea spoon honey and lemon with a little amount of rum.

1. profile image0

That rum addition sounds fine to me, ForYourInfo!  I'll try that next time - it is amazing what we use alcohol for!  Thanks for the suggestion.

15. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 12 years ago

yup, just hydrate yourself enough to drown it out or come out by urine. Use lemon as someone suggested in the water

16. profile image48
    juliajoliposted 12 years ago

A cough is an action that clears your air passage off irritants and mucus such as smoke or dust. It is the body’s way to remove unwanted materials from the upper air way and lungs. Cough usually occurs when the tissues get irritated and this trigger the chain of events. This condition is very common among the people and classified in two categories. One is acute and other is chronic.

# The best remedy to cure cough is lemon. Make a mixture of lemon, salt and black pepper; sucking it decreases the intensity of cough.
    # Honey and ginger are also an excellent remedy to get rid of cold and coughs. Take juice of ginger with honey two to three times in a day.
    # Have a mixture of one gram turmeric powder and one tablespoon of honey.
    # Grapes cure coughs because they tone up the lungs and act as an expectorant. So increase the consumption of it.
    # Make a paste of five ingredients – 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, one table spoon of apple cider vinegar, two tablespoon of water, 1 teaspoon of red pepper and one table spoon of honey. Have it once in a day to cure the problem.
    # Chew four basil leaves that can provide instant relief and treat the cough quickly.
    # Onions when mixed with honey is also an effective home remedy to cure cough. Have this mixture two to three times a day.
    # Boil a cup of water and add one teaspoon of marjoram in it. Then drink this mixture after leaving ten to fifteen minutes to get cool. Have this three to four times a day to overcome the condition.
    # Garlic is also regarded as the best home remedy to not only cure cough but also other conditions as well. Generally in winters the problem of cough increases. In that case you should eat garlic with every meal

17. profile image0
    health adviceposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't call it natural, but it works as a cough suppressant: codeine

Talk to your doctor about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)