jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How many of you think you're grinding your teeth at night?

1. Pascale1973 profile image81
    Pascale1973posted 5 years ago

I recently was told by my dentist who also happens to be my husband that I'm grinding my teeth at night.  He noticed because he heard me do it while I was sleeping, so my question to him was, let's say I'm single and no one is laying next to me, how am I supposed to know I'm grinding.  He told me that my next checkup would've revealed it or I would notice jaw pain in the morning, along with headaches.  I thought it was kind of curious since most of us would not think of something like this when we wake up with a sore jaw in the morning, we'd think we just slep wrong, so just wondering, how many of you think you're doing that at night?

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I used to grind my teeth. I was told by my dentist that I do it. It creates wear and tear on your teeth.  smile

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I also used to grind my teeth a long time ago. It was unresolved conflicts.

4. 61
    ForYourInfoposted 5 years ago

Grinding teeth is a most common problem.I used to to it for a long time.I tried to find out by myself but in vain.My dentist told me that I am having this but after a long procedure of treatment i finally got rid of it.
    Dr.Gasser really helped me a lot.I am by heart thankful to him.

5. xanzacow profile image83
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

I don't grind, but I clench. Sore jaws and headache all the time. I don't know how to stop.

6. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

I do - terribly.  Your dentist will notice it during an exam as it has a tendency to shorten your teeth (mostly the bottom ones from what I understand).  Jaw pain and headaches are the most common signs, as are shooting pains up into your ear.  The easiest way to deal with it is to wear a plastic (acrylic) bite guard at night, but finding ways to de-stress are also helpful, as it tends to be something we do because of stressful waking situations. 

Left untreated, it can cause major jaw problems.  The bite guard helped me a lot while I used it.  It's called bruxism.  Ask your husband to look at your teeth (anytime) and he'll be able to see the shortening of the teeth that comes as a result. 

Sometimes, when I wake in the middle of the night, I can either feel myself grinding my teeth, or my jaw is so tightly clenched that I literally have to painfully open my mouth very slowly to make the pain in my jaw ease a bit.  Good luck, and in this case, listen to your hubby.