jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

was smoking peer pressure for you

1. N.E. Wright profile image80
    N.E. Wrightposted 5 years ago

I could have been a smoker, and I almost was.  The person who pressured me into trying it once was a relative.  Nice, huh?

1. ahostagesituation profile image76
      ahostagesituationposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Both of my parents are former smokers, and said they dreamed of smoking long after they quit.  They said it was a horrible addiction.  One of my family members was schizophrenic and chain-smoked, and I associated smoking with lunacy.  Never appealed to me.

N.E. Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You know, I had a relative with mental issues also, and all she did was chain smoke.  So I know what you mean. 

Unfortunately I had that Aunt that did not really care ....  LOL.

2. vellos profile image59
      vellosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not at all. But there were no smokers in my immediate family so that helped. I don't judge people who start smoking. I regret those who know better!

2. SandyMcCollum profile image78
    SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

I don't think my case was peer pressure. My parents puffed away all day and I wanted to do it, too. People didn't think of it as a dirty habit back then.

I see what you mean.

When I was in school they did nothing but talk about how bad it was, and my brother and I wanted our parents to live longer so we would throw their cigarettes out when they were not looking.  LOL.

3. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I've NEVER done anything because of peer pressure but I did smoke for a little while when I was a teen because I thought it made me look cool and it was a way to showoff my one of my best features... my fingernails.

LOL.

4. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

Nope, I never smoked out of peer pressure, but I did smoke a cigar once because a coworker had a baby, and he was handing out cigars to everyone to celebrate.  lollol

I can get that.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Regardless of what my peers were doing I was too afraid of my mother... she really hates smoking....

LOL.  I hear ya.

6. 60
    ForYourInfoposted 5 years ago

I don't think addiction could be caught by pressure or through infatuation.If your are addicted to something,nobody else but you can only stop yourself.The opposite one is also same.I have seen seen people chain smoker but the one next to him ,who is very much fond of him is literally a person of different world.So,above everything ,self control can change everything.

7. BaliMermaid profile image60
    BaliMermaidposted 5 years ago

I guess you could say peer pressure works both ways. In elementary school I watch kids getting green in the face and sick from trying to smoke and decided this cannot be good for a person.

Never smoked one single cigarette or used any other type of tobacco other than second and third hand smoke - which in an of themselves is enough to worry a person.

Lost my mother to throat cancer from smoking and hope I do not ever lose any more family members like that.

8. mommyneal6 profile image76
    mommyneal6posted 5 years ago

Yes it was. A lot of my friends and family smoked so I started. I really do wish I wouldn't have caved but now it's part of me and within time I do plan of quitting.

working