jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Building clientel or just ignorant and feigning knowledge?

1. 0
    jerrylposted 5 years ago

As a child in grade school back in the 1940's, I recall receiving accasional health directives from the school nurse, telling me that eating red meats, dairy products, eggs etc., etc., would make me grow up healthy. 
    With todays views on diets. I wonder if the doctors back then were building future business for themselves, or were they ignorant of the facts and spouting out what they thought was reliable knowledge on the topic back then?

Your thoughts?

1. quotations profile image93
      quotationsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think back then it was well intentioned ignorance. I can't say the same about today's medical industry. I think that the industry will see much more business resulting from today's prescription-for-everything approach to medicine. Most prescription drugs have side effects, some completely unknown, that will make you sick later. My favorite is the TV ad for a medication to treat toenail fungus, which comes with a disclaimer that treating your fungus may cause liver damage or death.

I am guessing you could probably kill the toe fungus by soaking in salt water, but even if you can't your probably better off keeping the fungus and your liver.

2. fit2day profile image82
      fit2dayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think much of it was ignorance, but at the same time today isn't much different. There's plenty of things far worse than what your doctors were pushing.
      Hospital food alone is designed to keep the beds full and doctors nowadays talk as if diet and health are unrelated. They have a pill for everything and preach against anything natural

1. wilderness profile image97
        wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If hospital food is designed to keep people in the hospital they must be really incompetent.  Even I could tell them all it takes is a little e.coli in each dish and their patients (who can eat nothing else) will remain there.  Nevertheless, people are discharged from hospitals every day as fit to go home.

1. fit2day profile image82
          fit2dayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hmm...I'll make sure you don't write the menu for the hospital I visit

1. wilderness profile image97
            wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Best not to.  If I am competent, and if expected to design hospital meals that will keep people in the hospital, I would have to do just that.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

I think they were telling you what they thought was good for you. I once read a 'health' booklet from the 1850's which only gave this nutritional advice: "A person should eat no more than four pounds of food a day, with only one pound  being meat."  Things used to be so much simpler. smile

3. 0
    jerrylposted 5 years ago

How many doctors will endorse a product or medicine, just for the monetary gain?

Who can you trust?  It's like the old which is better, butter or margerine?  Doesn't it depend on who pays for the study and commercial?

Greed trumps all.