jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Got into the selective midwife caseload for my baby!

1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I'm so happy! I'm going through a public hospital, which usually means it's rather random what doctors, midwives and nurses you see during a pregnancy and birth.

However my hospital has a special program that accepts 20 pregnant women each month. The program is for women who want gas and natural pain relief only and want to be discharged from hospital within 4-6 hours after birth. They're also very pro-breastfeeding.

I missed out on the caseload with my first baby but I'm so glad I got in. I'm planning a silent birth so this should help! Plus I even know the midwife from my last pregnancy!

2. Lissie profile image85
    Lissieposted 5 years ago

In NZ its common practice to discharge women within 4-6 hours - absolutely horrific in my personal view and apparently in large part the cause as to why so many here don't breast feed here.

WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Over here the general minimum is 48 hours, but the midwives in this group like to get women home early (as long as mum & bub are healthy) so they can adjust at home, then the midwives visit each day for the first few weeks.

I breastfed my first daughter for 14 months but the three days they kept me in hospital made me nearly quit - one midwife called me a bad mother because I was in so much pain I had to express. Luckily I went home and Google became my friend!

1. Lissie profile image85
        Lissieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think even having a C-section gets you 48hours in hospital here! How on earth you are supposed to look after a baby when you can't even lift is beyond me!

WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Here you get 5 days in a public hospital or 7 days in a private hospital for a c-section.

3. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

Hey WryLilt, that is a sweet bit of luck!

Even as a guy, I'm getting excited about your baby. smile

4. Diane Inside profile image88
    Diane Insideposted 5 years ago

glad your happy, and congratulations on another baby. Maybe a boy this time. huh. lol

5. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

In the US people often do what they prefer as far as time in the hospital (if they go to one at all) goes.  I've known people to go home the same day.  When I had my babies the general practice was that if you were in by 5:00 p.m. you went home by 11:00 a.m. or so the next day.  If you were in after 5 p.m. you went home by 11 a.m. or so the day after that.  Average stay for C sections in the US is 2 to 4 days.

6. Monisajda profile image82
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

Wonderful news! I understand your excitement about it. Enjoy your second birth the way you want it.

7. Maggie.L profile image87
    Maggie.Lposted 5 years ago

Congratulations on another baby on the way. I live in the UK and when I had my first baby I was on a named midwife scheme. It was very reassuring having the continuity of seeing the same midwife all through my pregnancy. Glad to hear you've been accepted for a similar supportive scheme.

8. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I'm starting to think Australia must have pretty good hospitals!