jump to last post 1-37 of 37 discussions (73 posts)

What is your fear/phobia

1. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

I have a bit of a phobia.  Aquaphobia.  It stems from a childhood incident.  I am 39 and am unable to swim because of this.  This phobia affects roughly 45% of the population.

What is your fear/phobia?

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aquaphobia. Same problem, childhood trauma. smile
      I always wondered how well Daffy went in the water. smile

Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ha Ha, very funny.

2. classicalgeek profile image87
      classicalgeekposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Spiders, parasites, and wild rats (tame ones don't bother me). I also have a marked aversion to touching raw meat.

That's a wide variety.  Parasites creep me out a little too.

3. RedxVelvet profile image61
      RedxVelvetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have a phobia that is known as "Aichmophobia."  It is a fear of needles and sharp objects.  I hate going to the dentist and doctor because of their various amounts of shimmering tools.  I don't even trust those closest to me with syringes and razors.  When I am in control of the item in question, then I am alright, such as a sewing needle or or razor, but syringes are out of the question, no matter WHO is holding it!

If you go to the dentist, how do you cope with it?

Just curious.

1. RedxVelvet profile image61
          RedxVelvetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

With 15-30 minutes of prep time while waiting for my appointment and a very very nice dentist with patience for a screaming little crying girl.  big_smile

At least you face it instead of hiding from it.

4. gabby0506 profile image60
      gabby0506posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have fear of  the dark!!

Once or twice a year I wake up and litterally feel suffocated by the dark.

5. Judi Burton profile image71
      Judi Burtonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Snakes in the grass. I'm perfectly fine with snakes I can see, it's the ones I can't see that scare the bejeezus out of me.

6. wheelinallover profile image81
      wheelinalloverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Today water scares me more than anything. The last time I was put under water I had no idea which way was up. It was a good thing two people were holding me, or I am afraid I wouldn't be here today.

My inner ears were damaged 22 years ago which causes this problem. Even a drop of rain in my ears causes me to fall. I have already had 37 stitches in my head from falling over in the bathtub. 

I don't like living this way but it beats the alternative. I was told years ago they could do surgery to fix the problem but the price tag is 5 good years, then in bed for the rest of my life. I would rather fall 12 to 20 times a year than not be able to get out of bed. I have already broken three of my wheelchairs by falling over in them.  We won't go into the broken bones from these falls.

Damn.  That's got to be hard to live with sometimes.  What about when it rains?  Does using an umbrella keep you from falling?

7. Mavhe Quijada profile image63
      Mavhe Quijadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm really really scared of cockroaches and I don't know why. All I know is whenever I see them, I'm shaking to fear. It started since I was a child as per my parents. Until now, I can't face my fear on them. Throw me rats, snakes but cockroaches. I can't handle that.

8. profile image0
      jansplaceposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My fear is coming face to face with a snake - I think I'd die on the spot  even before been bitten! 
      It's really weird because where I use to live as a child; in a forestry commision village near Scotland, adders were common place and there were specimens of them in some kind of purple liquid on window sills around the school I attended.
      I can't even bear to watch them on the television - they just give me the creeps!

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
    Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago

I've duck phobia smile

QUACK QUACK!    big_smile

3. skyfire profile image72
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Height (hate -lift/roller-coaster/valley trains).

Only exception- flight, i can manage that by looking at air hostess.

4. nanetteparker profile image71
    nanetteparkerposted 6 years ago

i have a phobia on all types of animals

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
      Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some animals don't harm bugs.

2. Daffy Duck profile image60

Wow.  Have you ever been to the zoo?

Just curious.

3. YadiraE profile image89
      YadiraEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

me too!! i thought i was the only one!!!

5. LittleFairy profile image80
    LittleFairyposted 6 years ago

I fear reptiles and amphibians.

Can you go to the pet store and look at them?

6. Mcken profile image60
    Mckenposted 6 years ago

when my stash of instant noodles run out...silly I know!

7. seanorjohn profile image80
    seanorjohnposted 6 years ago

Mice, a childhood experience. One of the reasons I was persuaded by my children to get cats was because they worked on my fear of mice. I was surprised that I fell in love with them. Hence my avatar.

8. Greek One profile image78
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

Noclickaphobia

Definition:  The fear that one will not generate Adsence revenue.
    Common symptoms include obsessive reviewing of AdSence reports (ie 50 times or more a day)

Doctors recommend diversion therapy, including getting an Amazon account

1. athena2011 profile image57
      athena2011posted 5 years ago in reply to this

That was classic...any idea how many of us suffer with Noclickaphobia?

9. Aficionada profile image91
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Greek One is always good for lightening the mood!

This morning I have reviewed a couple of the Hubs I have written about one serious phobia I have: driving across a major river bridge (worse when I am driving alone).  A lesser one is squishy larva-like critters.  That's more of a disgust or revulsion, but strong enough to count as a phobia, I think.

10. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

I'm afraid of public transportation. Buses to be exact.

11. transinata profile image74
    transinataposted 6 years ago

i've gecko phobia

http://tinypic.zzl.org/imgs/signature_image1.jpg

12. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

I have had a phobia towards toads/frogs. It's so bad that even clay figures or even drawings of them makes me shudder.

13. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 6 years ago

As embarrassing as it is, I'm afraid of what might be under the bed at night. I can't go to sleep without my feet covered, so something can't grab them.

I thought I was the only one who needed his feet covered.  Interesting.

14. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 6 years ago

Spiders terrify me.  Whenever I see one running across my floor, I am quickly up on a chair shrieking at it to go away.  I also have a fear of escalators and will rather climb hundreds of steps than set foot on one.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My mother couldn't do escalators either.

2. Daffy Duck profile image60

Spiders used to bother, but I don't mind them anymore.

I knew someone who wasn't scared of escalators, but everytime she got on one she felt sick to her stomach.

15. CalSherrifMD profile image60
    CalSherrifMDposted 6 years ago

Man I hate flying

Even though I am afraid of heights somewhat I still jumped out of an airplane.........Passed out about 500 feet from the ground and woke up just in time to see my face meet the dirt.

16. kmackey32 profile image80
    kmackey32posted 6 years ago

I hate bees.....I run from them....

17. Disturbia profile image62
    Disturbiaposted 6 years ago

I have claustrophobia, fear of being closed in small spaces, and for years I would not fly, take trains, ride in elevators, or drive through tunnels.  I finally decided to take back control my life and got some help for it, but I still have trouble breathing when I’m stuck in heavy traffic or anywhere near a tunnel…. LOL

1. mareezy13 profile image60
      mareezy13posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have a fear of heights, and with that has recently brought on my fear of being on bridges.
      When I was at the top of the Willis Tower here in Chicago, people were pointing and laughing as I tried to conquer my fear...I attempted to stand inside the glass box that hangs off of the building.  You can see straight down to the street.  I am proud to say that it took me a few minutes but I was able to stand on the glass for a pic and look down for about 2 seconds before I ran off!!!

18. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 6 years ago

Lately, I'm beginning to have a fear of the forums - you never know what you are going to read here!  very frightening!  big_smile

If you think that's frightening try turning down door to door salesmen. big_smile

19. Diane Inside profile image81
    Diane Insideposted 6 years ago

as a kid I was afraid of getting abducted, I never left my parents side ever.  I was very clingy.  My dad would say I shouldn't worry cause once they got me they would bring me back. Cause I'm so mean.  lol

Now I hate spiders, insects in general, and being alone for too long. I also have a fear of anything that feels like I could lose balance, like being on a boat on the water, and hayrides.

20. Chaotic Chica profile image75
    Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago

I fear technology.  It has grown so fast with such little regulation that just about anybody with a lack of morals or respect can invade the privacy of anybody else completely undetected.
    I am terrified of the multitude of hidden cameras and big brother technology in the hands of the common criminal.  It's just too easy to the wrong thing.

Privacy does seem to be leaving us more and more every year.  Being educated on technology can help.  Unfortunately it can also hurt.

1. Chaotic Chica profile image75
        Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

wink  So you see my dilemma!

So does everyone else.  big_smile

21. Jonathan Janco profile image73
    Jonathan Jancoposted 6 years ago

I'm afraid of intimacy, commitment, ineptitude, emotional confrontation and (according to Sue B.) my own subconscience in my dreams. But as far as phobias that arent by force of maleness and the male mind's total obliviousness to that sort of thing, I can only think of claustrophobia.

Noone wants to get hurt.  Everyone fears that at some point.  Just don't let it hold you back.  You could miss out on an amazing woman (or guy if you're into that).  :-)

For some reason I do get a little claustrophobic sometimes.  What I do is I close my eyes and focus on my breathing.  The feeling soon passes.

22. shogan profile image85
    shoganposted 6 years ago

My greatest fear is having others read in an online forum about my greatest fear.  It's hard to share this here without feeling some anxiety.

It can be hard even annonymously.  I had a teacher in college that asked us to write down 3 things that we would never tell anyone about ourselves.  I didn't do it because I still felt exposed.  I just believed that even annonymously she would still know it was me that wrote it.

23. Ben Graves profile image89
    Ben Gravesposted 6 years ago

Death is my biggest fear. That, and as of lately mental illness. As I get older I begin to worry about losing my sanity, even though as an artist I feel you're never too sane to begin with.

1. mega1 profile image81
      mega1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

me too - I'm afraid of those things - but then I realized, now that I am much, much older and have actually started paying attention, that EVERYONE is nuts - I mean there is no sanity, when you really examine the world.  Sanity is a myth - so even though we may fear losing it, its very possible it just never really existed in the first place.  Feel better?  I know I do.

24. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

I'm afraid of the living.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I used to be too, klara, but not anymore. You'll get over it, I am sure. Now I love living and new things and new places and challenges and what not. Life is full of surprises.  Do not fear of anything, it's a waste of emotions, not worth it.

25. TMMason profile image63
    TMMasonposted 6 years ago

The American Left suffers from Anglo-Phobia. I on the other hand have none. But as a small child I hated and was scared to hell of our basement up in Lynn Ma. Damn that was a scary place.

26. wheelinallover profile image81
    wheelinalloverposted 6 years ago

Daffy duck have you ever tried holding an umbrella and moving a wheelchair at the same time? My advice is not to try. In my experience it leads to disaster. A trip to the emergency room the first time I used one taught me well.

I cover my head with the hood on either my winter coat or a sweat shirt all year long when I have to go out in the rain. So far this has worked every time. I used to have a light nylon jacket with a hood which got lost somewhere and has never been replaced. The sweat shirts actually keep me cooler in the summer.

27. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 6 years ago

I have a fear of heights. My legs begin to shake. I'm not crazy about elevators either. So - how do I manage to fly? Well...a couple of bloody mary's of course!

28. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

My fear is running out of light cream for the very light coffee I'm addicted to - and THE WORST HAS HAPPENED!!!  I thought I had an extra cream, but it turned out to be bad.  A friend said he'd bring some when he showed up.  It turned out the nearest late-open store didn't have any left, so now I'm coffee-less until dawn... (well, 6 when the convenience stores and Dunkin Donuts open in this freaking, God-forsaken, boondock-land I live in.  mad   which means I CAN'T SLEEP (because I can't sleep if I don't have my coffee).  Like any addict, I found myself looking pointlessly in the refrigerator to see if there might be a hidden light cream somewhere (when I knew there wasn't).  It was pathetic and horrible - and now I'm all hyped up on tea.   lol  lol  Honestly.  I haven't had a night like this in about three years.    Usually, I make good and certain that a "disaster" like this doesn't happen.  Usually, I always smell the light cream from the convenience stores, but I don't do that when I go to the regular store (where THE CREAM IS NEVER BAD!!!).  mad 

I'm telling myself I can do this.  I did it all the time before I got addicted to that light coffee.  I used to live on only tea.  Is there a hotline or something I can call??!!!   My head knows I can do it.  The rest of my isn't all that sure. 

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/treeves76/My%20TDI%20Shows%20Pics/Cheyenne_horrified.jpg

1. nakhit_x profile image58
      nakhit_xposted 6 years ago in reply to this

aquaphobia sort of but only in the ocian and only when the water is dark so i cant see the floor
      first of all if i swin in the sea water where its deep the water must be cristal clear so i know whats there
      second there can be no possability of sharks, aligators, anacondas basicly all the things that you might find in a movie lol pretty much any thing that goes above me in food chain
      so its kinda like a fear of the dark but only in water

29. profile image58
    adaverlaineposted 6 years ago

I'm really scared of pigeons. it's awful cos they are everywhere..

30. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 6 years ago

I have arachnophobia. This phobia sometimes makes me ridiculous because if I see a spider unexpectedly I lose control, even if it is very small.

31. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Heights. I'm terrified of heights!!

1. HattieMattieMae profile image69
      HattieMattieMaeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hmm, well I don't really know at the minute, I've basically been getting rid of all my fears, kind of been teaching my self not to be afraid of anything. But I guess It would be possums, and wild life if they came on my porch or something, but that doesn't happen very often! smile

32. lorlie6 profile image83
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

Umm, earwigs drive me to distraction, but I must say my worst fear is of flying.  I was once over Japan when a typhoon hit and learned to be worried about being afraid of the air from there. smile

33. fit2day profile image77
    fit2dayposted 6 years ago

I'm afraid of crickets, especially camel crickets. I can kill spiders by stepping on them, but you get something that may hop on you as you try to step on it, that freaks me out. The funny thing is that I'm not afraid of wild animals for the most part, if something crosses my path, it has to show me it means harm for me to be scared. At that point I will either run or hide my fear by standing up to it.

34. DIYweddingplanner profile image88
    DIYweddingplannerposted 6 years ago

Dead animals.

35. amber112483 profile image59
    amber112483posted 6 years ago

Dying being alone

36. ftclick profile image61
    ftclickposted 6 years ago

heights and water although I can float & swim for a certain amount of time.

37. Richard Craig profile image68
    Richard Craigposted 6 years ago

I fear failure.  Hate the thought of it.

working